Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2024, 10:46 AM   #101
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
For the kids I talk to, and I talk to a lot of them, one of the biggest impacts of phones seems to be on adequate sleep. A third of my class, easily, is up past midnight on their phones. We had a provincial exam yesterday and had talked about getting a good nights rest - maybe that’s outdated old person advice (I’m 37) because half the class said they went to bed between midnight and 2 am.
I used to be until 2am because I had a TV in my room and needed to watch Letterman every night. I don't know if my parents knew that but I did great in school so I don't know if they would care. If my grades suffered it would be the first thing to change.

That started some bad sleep habits for me though. If I had kids there would be no screens in their bedrooms during sleeping hours. Not enough rest is a killer.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:46 AM   #102
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
We have a strict rule at our places, phones plugged in downstairs where we charge things before bedtime. The oldest complains fiercely about how much he misses out on frkm 10:30pm to 1am. Our reply is that’s exactly the point why it can’t be in your room.

Honestly we’ve lost the tech war in almost every way except for that one piece. All I can say is I wish we’d have held off longer in letting them get devices and certain acccounts.
We have a combination of Google and Shaw permissions set up so that my kids data/messaging is turned off after a 10pm and wifi is disabled. Sometimes exceptions need to be made when my kid has legitimate reasons to need that stuff late but that is rare.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:31 AM   #103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
We have a strict rule at our places, phones plugged in downstairs where we charge things before bedtime. The oldest complains fiercely about how much he misses out on frkm 10:30pm to 1am. Our reply is that’s exactly the point why it can’t be in your room.

Honestly we’ve lost the tech war in almost every way except for that one piece. All I can say is I wish we’d have held off longer in letting them get devices and certain acccounts.
I am old, so have no idea what that is. Urban dictionary says

The building frustration you have for strangers when you are approaching the blackout stage of inebriation.

But that doesn't seem right. Googling frkm isn't giving me much, either. I feel old and out of touch.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:33 AM   #104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
We have the same rule and it's wild how many of his friends have zero boundaries. Every morning he catches up on the group chat that went until 2am. He claims he's the only one in his entire social circle that doesn't require YouTube or a podcast to fall asleep to.

Compounding this issue is teenagers have a natural cycle change that sees a midnight to noon sleep schedule feel more normal. So not only is living on an adult sleep schedule incredibly hard to begin with for teens, now they have the entirety of human entertainment in their hands at all hours. Good luck youths!
I've said it before...we should be allowed to sedate the children.

"Okay kids its 10:30...now go huff your chloroform rags! Goodnight! Sleep tight! Dont leave the rags on your face overnight!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:34 AM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I am old, so have no idea what that is. Urban dictionary says

The building frustration you have for strangers when you are approaching the blackout stage of inebriation.

But that doesn't seem right. Googling frkm isn't giving me much, either. I feel old and out of touch.
I'm assuming he meant to say 'from.'

He misses out on the Group Chat with his friends from that time to that time.

Rather than the initial impression that its some sort of Radio Station.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2024, 11:45 AM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm assuming he meant to say 'from.'

He misses out on the Group Chat with his friends from that time to that time.

Rather than the initial impression that its some sort of Radio Station.
Well a typo makes a lot more sense than a 13 year old so black out drunk strangers start to annoy you. I mean, it made sense for me, but not sure about kids these days.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 01:05 PM   #107
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well a typo makes a lot more sense than a 13 year old so black out drunk strangers start to annoy you. I mean, it made sense for me, but not sure about kids these days.
Yup you totally overthought that one, just a bad typo on my part.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2024, 01:24 PM   #108
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel for kids these days. Social media and gacha games have really created new addictions on top of the old ones. Even as an adult, I'm seeing some of my behavour subconsciously shift because of how the internet and all the social media algorithms feed me info. I can't imagine all the influences kids have to deal with now.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #109
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://youtu.be/R9rymEWJX38?si=cNpFbludUMuRwOUX
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote