Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #101
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Minor spoiler... nothing story related.
What??

Spoiler!
Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #102
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And a few books and comics.
Yeah, the ones just released before The Force Awakens came out (and ongoing.) I think anything else has been stricken, including the Zahn trilogy.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #103
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Here's whats in the New Canon...http://www.techtimes.com/articles/94...-new-canon.htm
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #104
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
What??

Spoiler!
I think you're being facetious, but the A-Wing didn't actually appear until Return of the Jedi.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #105
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

There are some decent comics out there that are canon, including back story on Poe's parents and if anyone cares C3P0's red arm.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #106
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Are the Zhan books Canon?
Nope. however Thrawn is making an appearance in Rebels next year so he will become Canon.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
There are some decent comics out there that are canon, including back story on Poe's parents and if anyone cares C3P0's red arm.
I'll tell you where C3P0 can shove that red arm.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #108
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched TFA again, and came to the conclusion Rey has to be the daughter of Luke. There really isn't any other explanation that makes sense.

Also, I wouldn't believe anything JJ Abrams said, especially after his comments that Star Trek Into Darkness was definitely not a remake of Wrath of Khan.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #109
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I just watched TFA again, and came to the conclusion Rey has to be the daughter of Luke. There really isn't any other explanation that makes sense.

Also, I wouldn't believe anything JJ Abrams said, especially after his comments that Star Trek Into Darkness was definitely not a remake of Wrath of Khan.
Why?

Powerful force users existed from non force parents prior to the emperor all the time considering Jedi were not allowed to mate. So her having the force isn't a huge check in the box.

Luke being Jedi means he isn't allowed to mate. He may of violated the rule for a great number reasons, but again, hurts the theory.

At the end of the day, all the evidence simply points to her being the secret slow ageing offspring of Mace and Yoda's secret love. The force is indeed powerful and full of surprises.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #110
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd be interested in hearing why you think that. I've gone back and forth about who she's related to, and Luke isn't one of them.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Why?

Powerful force users existed from non force parents prior to the emperor all the time considering Jedi were not allowed to mate. So her having the force isn't a huge check in the box.

Luke being Jedi means he isn't allowed to mate. He may of violated the rule for a great number reasons, but again, hurts the theory.

At the end of the day, all the evidence simply points to her being the secret slow ageing offspring of Mace and Yoda's secret love. The force is indeed powerful and full of surprises.
Judge me by my size do you hmmm?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #112
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing why you think that. I've gone back and forth about who she's related to, and Luke isn't one of them.
I guess I shouldn't have said the only explanation that makes sense, but the one that makes the most sense. Keep in mind I am not familiar with the expanded universe and have only scratched the surface of Rebels.

I'm going on her connection to the light sabre, the awakening of R2D2 when she arrives, the connection between her and Leia (Rey isn't a Solo since Han and Leia would have mentioned a 2nd child), and her knowing that her family is not coming back to get her (makes sense if Luke has isolated himself on a far away world).

I suppose she could be a Kenobi or a descendant of Ezra or Kanan from Rebels, but aren't the episodic movies supposed to follow the Skywalkers? Just like episodes 4-6 had a Skywalker as both the protagonist and antagonist I'm guessing 7-9 will have the same.

Maybe this is all a red herring though and we are in for a good twist.

I am interested in hearing your theories Captain, so please respond. I enjoy your text walls on Star Wars and Canadian Politics, although was I little confused to see you are also a Full House expert.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll preface this by saying I don't really have a strong theory of who Rey is, but I think its important to look at some theories that are floating out there.

She's the daughter of Han and Leia - I wrote this one off right away because Han would have reached out more in his interactions with her as would have leia. Even if she hadn't seen her daughter in probably a decade, she would have know just like she knew that Luke was her brother. It just doesn't make sense that Leia wouldn't have let her know after her father was brutally murdered by her brother in front of her.

She's the daughter of Ben Kenobi - I really don't feel this one because Kenobi was an old school Jedi that in every aspect of his life saw the destruction that attachments caused. His attachment to Satine in TCW's lead to her death. His attachment to Anakin and his witness of Anakin's attachments to Padme caused the ruin of the galaxy. Towards the end of his life, Ben had spent his years watching over Luke and probably never leaving Tatooine. Now what could change my mind is a deeper exploration of Kenobi's voice telling Rey that she had stepped into a larger world. But I just don't think that this makes sense.

Rey is a creation of the Celestials - During the Clone Wars, Anakin Skywalker, Kenobi and Asokha had a run in with the Celestials who represented surpremely powerful beings that represented the Father who was the balance between the Son who was the Dark Side and the Daughter who was the light side. It stands to reason that when they all died the Force was thrown into darkness with no balance which helped Palpatine rise. Its also logical that the Force would create a being that would balance the Force. I did feel that in her battle with Kylo Ren that Rey when she over powered him was fighting with anger and grief and a desire for revenge, maybe I'm reading to much into her facial expressions, but when I watched it this weekend she seemed to enjoy injuring Ren.

Rey is a clone of Anakin Skywalker - To me it would almost make sense that Snoke or the First Order would want to create a new Darth Vader, that was maybe incorruptable in terms of the Dark Side. This almost makes sense when you listen to Snoke talk about Vader almost reverently except when he talks about Vader's moment of weakness. It might make sense that Kylo attacked the Jedi Training academy to retrieve her after Luke took her there to train her.

She's the daughter of Luke Skywalker - This theory is popular because Star Wars is the story of the Skywalker family (You could actually argue that its the story of R2 and 3PO. There is also the R2 activation argument that when R2 sensed Rey returning that he turned on and revealed the last part of the map, but that doesn't really mean that Rey is an offspring as much as a student. There is also an interesting argument that Lor San Takka was on Jakku and might have a role that was similar to Kenobi's in that Luke sent him to live there and watch over her.

So why isn't Luke the father, because I go go back to the attachments thing. Luke had seen the suffering caused by attachment and conflict in the same way that Kenobi had. I also go back to how repulsed she was by her grandfathers light saber initially,

Ok, my personal favorite - Rey isn't a Skywalker, Solo, convergence in the force, clone of Anakin. She was discovered by Luke as a small child when he was looking for Jedi to train. She was taken to the academy by Luke and she befriended Ben Solo, in fact she was his attachment, and when he turned he couldn't kill her and protected her during the attack. When Luke saw the destruction caused by the Jedi rising again, he put her in the care of Lor San Tekka a surviving instructor who took her to Jakku and left her in the care of others to protect her. Why do I like this, because the Force can't continue to be concentrated in the Skywalkers, in fact I believe that by the end of this series that the Skywalker story will end and be placed in the hands of others. I also believe that the first conversation that Luke has with Rey will be a combination of I didn't want this for you, and I won't train you because the Jedi cause nothing but pain and suffering.

Oh and full house is awesome.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #114
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, you now have me definitely thinking we are meant to believe she is a Skywalker but there will be a twist. Your favourite seems like the 2nd most likely, although the clone one is very interesting as Kylo having Vader's mask infers the First Order has Vader's body.

Also, episode VIII is totally going to be a rip off of the Karate Kid (not so serious about that one!)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #115
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully she isn't the daughter of any of the characters.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #116
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 8 can't come soon enough.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #117
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I like the last one the most and I hope that is the case. She is a former student that they put up some Jedi mind blocks in to protect her from herself. They hid her on a random backwoods planet because it worked for Luke so why wouldn't it work again? This series of events has led her to remembering some of her former training as we saw when she was a prisoner/dueling with Emo Ren. Now Luke can play the Yoda/Ben role for Ren and by the end of this trilogy fade off into the force ghost sunset. Paving the way for the new heroes to tell their own story.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #118
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I forgot one theory

Rey is the daughter of Jyn Erso from Rogue One - this theory came about because she's similar in appearance to Rey, and because Star Wars fans were spoiled by not only the I am your father twist in the original Trilogy, but also other twists like You are Revan in KOTOR, and you have a twin sister. To me, I don't believe that every little thing in the Star Wars universe has to be linked by the will of the Force.

I still have problems with things happening for no other reason but coincidence in a massive universe, the EU was terrible for this. As it stands rey is probably still a teenager in TFA and the events of Rogue one are probably going to take place around 30 years before those events. So that alone makes me doubt this theory unless rey's mom decided to start a family in her mid forties.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #119
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I forgot one theory

Rey is the daughter of Jyn Erso from Rogue One - this theory came about because she's similar in appearance to Rey, and because Star Wars fans were spoiled by not only the I am your father twist in the original Trilogy, but also other twists like You are Revan in KOTOR, and you have a twin sister. To me, I don't believe that every little thing in the Star Wars universe has to be linked by the will of the Force.

I still have problems with things happening for no other reason but coincidence in a massive universe, the EU was terrible for this. As it stands rey is probably still a teenager in TFA and the events of Rogue one are probably going to take place around 30 years before those events. So that alone makes me doubt this theory unless rey's mom decided to start a family in her mid forties.
For what it's worth, Daisy Ridley was 23 when TFA came out. She looks her age in the movie.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #120
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
For what it's worth, Daisy Ridley was 23 when TFA came out. She looks her age in the movie.
Looking at the Wookiepedia entry she was born 11 years after the batltle of Endor

So your math works.

I just don't like the idea much that some random rebel pre battle of endor gives birth to a girl that becomes heavily entwined in the events basically a full generation down the road.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: