Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 01:49 PM   #101
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Went to school with one of Phaneuf's former girlfriends, and let's just say that the year before he was drafted, he had an entitled party poy attitude and zero respect for women or their boundaries.
No where near the profile of Dion but yeah, I've heard stories about Mitch Love in his Broncos days. Not great bob.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:55 PM   #102
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Most I’ve met have been nice, pretty much across the board

Backs was awesome. Talked to him when he was young and had that few years of injury after injury. He was pretty excited about being healthy and I don’t think he had any major setbacks after that.

Was walking past Gelinas at Winsport one day a few years back. Naturally, I said “It was in.” He smiled and said “It was in”

Brouwer was also really nice. Chatted about lots of stuff, hockey, family, kids.

Snowy was a beauty. I sat next to him at a poker tourney long ago and we talked a bunch about analytics (it was really before they were in vogue) and that they tracked a bunch of things in house that weren’t in the early publicly available efforts

Same tourney, I sat with Corey Potter. All I remember about him as a Flame is that he knocked me out of the tourney. So he is the biggest jerk. He was nice though

Conroy and Iggy are both super nice, but everyone knows that.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:09 PM   #103
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I can remember with one Flames I've ever met when I was a kid was Tim Hunter. You watch the Flames on CBC back in the day and how mean and frightening he was with everyone around the league. I was working as a ticket seller in one of the booths on the Stampede grounds and Tim Hunter walked up. The guy was humongous! And his face...Well, everything changed when he smiled at me said "Hi, how are you". I was like - that was Tim Hunter, wow!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:39 PM   #104
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Badger Bob once dropped a rancid elevator fart on a member of my family. Huge fan of his ever since I heard that story.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:23 PM   #105
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Theo has lost his mind, and is a terrible human being.

I volunteered at the NHL Faceoff 2015, and was with him for a good portion of the event. He was nice, took pictures, and even let us put on the cup ring. Everyone was great, but I just wanted to point that out, since he has now lost his mind.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:35 PM   #106
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I joined summer pickup hockey one year. I played the 1st game and realized I was in over my head. It was composed of all guys who played some higher level of competition (WHL or University hockey) and I was just out to play shinny. One guy on my own team shot the puck at me after we were scored on and told me to learn how to play hockey. Another player, some young kid, told me I suck and shouldn't be out there. He was good. My friend later told me that Kris was not happy to have me on his team. I didn't know who Kris was but apparently he was some local hotshot who was going to play for the hometown Lethbridge Hurricanes the next year. Kris Versteeg. My first interaction with him left me thinking he was a jerk.

Fast forward to when he won the Cup with Chicago and he brought it home to Lethbridge. He had an event where fans could come and get their picture with him and the cup. He was super nice and friendly and cool to my sons. Sure, it was a public event and to some degree he has to act nice, but I got the vibe that he wasn't trying hard to fake it and that he definitely grew up a lot in those 10 years.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:40 PM   #107
Norland
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He also rented videos from the same Rogers that Tabby did.
Quiet guy but very nice. Asked me a couple times for advice on movies, and once you got into a conversation with him - he was quite thoughtful.
That's really interesting because I worked at a video store in the late 90s that some of the Grizzlies would rent from. One of the guys left me tickets and I'd rent him movies on my account so it'd be free. It was all cool until they went on a three week roadtrip and my boss wanted to know why I kept renewing my same rentals.

Also, Flames adjacent, Daymond Langkow's brother Scott did not seem like an awesome guy.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:28 PM   #108
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I joined summer pickup hockey one year. I played the 1st game and realized I was in over my head. It was composed of all guys who played some higher level of competition (WHL or University hockey) and I was just out to play shinny. One guy on my own team shot the puck at me after we were scored on and told me to learn how to play hockey. Another player, some young kid, told me I suck and shouldn't be out there. He was good. My friend later told me that Kris was not happy to have me on his team. I didn't know who Kris was but apparently he was some local hotshot who was going to play for the hometown Lethbridge Hurricanes the next year. Kris Versteeg. My first interaction with him left me thinking he was a jerk.

Fast forward to when he won the Cup with Chicago and he brought it home to Lethbridge. He had an event where fans could come and get their picture with him and the cup. He was super nice and friendly and cool to my sons. Sure, it was a public event and to some degree he has to act nice, but I got the vibe that he wasn't trying hard to fake it and that he definitely grew up a lot in those 10 years.
I had an experience like that in the 90s. Henry Custer from the Medicine Hat Tigers was the guy I recognized. One of his buddies broke my nose with a cross check to the face in a front of the net battle. Good times.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:46 PM   #109
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Dwayne Hay came out and played a summer league game with us once. He was known for never scoring in the NHL. He was essentially toying with everyone in summer league. This was not just a bunch of randoms. It was full of ex AHL, WHL and NCAA players. The minimum to play in the league was Midget 1/A. It really showed that the bottom 5% of the NHL is a giant leap up from anyone on the planet.
Forgot about Dwayne Hay. He was a kids coach for Havoc Hockey and would cruise The Trop. The stories about that guy banging hockey moms for roster spots and cash. He was a big star on The Dirty.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 04:55 PM   #110
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Used to live next to Laddy Smid for a brief time. He was nice, but very stoic. Which I wouldn't peg as being a jerk at all, some people are just quiet.

Also used to live close to Sam Gagner when I was in Edmonton, and he was extremely nice. Such a beautiful family who loved being outside and enjoying the neighborhood.

I’ve heard the same about laddy. Apparently he was looking forward to making it work out here.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:59 PM   #111
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I know Theo has lost his mind, and is a terrible human being.

I volunteered at the NHL Faceoff 2015, and was with him for a good portion of the event. He was nice, took pictures, and even let us put on the cup ring. Everyone was great, but I just wanted to point that out, since he has now lost his mind.
I'm glad that despite sharing positive recollections of Theo a decade or more ago that we're keeping things in perspective.

This is the way.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:01 PM   #112
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh ####, I almost forgot. So like 10 years ago or so, I used to see Rhett at Sobeys in Cranston alllllll the time. Him and I’m his kids often shopped there. I never bugged him or anything but one day I was walking behind them as they were leaving the store, and one of his sons had put a plastic bag over his own head, and I said, umm Hey Rhett… and pointed at his kid, Rhett just turns around and said something along the lines of, “You dumbass, to his kid.. but he was always smiling, from what I remember.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:02 PM   #113
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Please if you
post big pictures
like that
Can you
tag them
so the page
doesn't stretch out
Other wise we have to
type like All in Good Time
I had to scroll over 15 feet just to thank your post
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:07 PM   #114
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Brendan Perlini does a Youtube thing where fans as general questions about being a player in the NHL. There was one recently where he answers questions about what other players were like to play with. He says good things about most of them, but with Mike Smith, he says that he was afraid of him.
I'm beginning to think Mike Smith just decided not to come back after the 2022 playoffs and every one in the oilers organization was too scared to remind him he was on the hook for another season so they made up a dumb cover story and LTIRetired him.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:08 PM   #115
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I saw my cousin sitting with Regehr at a downtown foodcourt. Apparently they did some work together, and were D partners in some oilman's league. He was super nice, and got the slyest grin when I brought up Ales Hemsky.

I played with the guy that was the recipient of Iggy's good will in Salt Lake City. There was no exaggeration there, they drove down to SLC with no plan, and Iggy stumbled on them and took care of absolutely everything.

Mark Messier is a dink. My friend asked a bystander to take our picture with him. The bystander ended up being Bill Ranford. Oops. He cracked a joke, and still took the picture.

Rode an elevator with Alex Tanguay in LA for a road game. He was as shy as us, but gave a "hey guys, nice shirts" before stepping off the elevator.

Mike Rogers and Peter Maher were staying in the same hotel. Mike Rogers was just a fantastic guy and spent a ton of time chatting with us in the bar.

My friend worked at Ceili's for a long time. He really enjoyed every opportunity he had to kick Dion's ass out, which sounded frequent.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:09 PM   #116
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The [spoiler] button/tag

Please use it.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:29 PM   #117
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have met a number of Flames and they have all been amazing.

I ran into Dion Phaneuf at the U of C, he was doing something at the Performance Lab and then again I ran into him later that day at The Den and he remembered running into me earlier in the day and he was nothing but kind, he even invited me over to join him for a drink.

Nice guy as far as I can tell.

I've met Regehr a couple times and he was one of my favourite Flames and the neat thing was the second time he even remembered me, which, I imagine in his line of work is really tough seeing as he meets tons of people.

Although I'm not a big 'Celebrity Guy' overall. I usually meet people, say 'hey its you!' and then leave them alone.

The only time I can remember imposing on someone was when I met Iggy the first time at a restaurant, I was waiting to meet a buddy and met Iggy at the bar and I asked him:

"Hey, I am meeting a friend and he has a 2010 Team Canada Iggy jersey, if I call him right now and tell him to go home and bring it, would you sign it for him?"

And Iggy agreed to kick around until my buddy could speed home, grab his his jersey and then meet us there, then he signed my friend's jersey, finished his drink and left.

That man is a goddamned Treasure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 05:41 PM   #118
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Jyrki Jokipakka wasn't jyrki at all.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:42 AM   #119
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Frankly I wouldn't reconize most Flames in an out of context setting.
Guys like Lanny, Conny or Iggy for sure. Backlund, Gio, guys with recognizable faces I would know. But how the hell am I going to recognize Gio's wife or Mike Smith's kids? Langkow's brother? Didn't realize I am so out of touch...
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:57 AM   #120
sch19lks
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ran into Frolik at a hotel in Florida and he was a total dink
sch19lks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good