Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #101
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Crazy armed robbery happening right now in Victoria.

https://www.cheknews.ca/2-suspects-a...jured-1055268/
Wow. That's a lot of gunshots. Crazy situation.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #102
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
well, the Premier just resigned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Um. To the comments about Horgan stepping down, I'm assuming it's because of his cancer treatment.
Thanks activestick, I came in to post that too. Sounds like he is in remission but treatment still kicks the crap out of a person. I am not a John Horgan supporter at all but completely understand with and support his decision if it is for health reasons.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #103
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Each to his own I guess I've lived in both Calgary and Vancouver, never had problems making friends in both places, I made friends right away. I will admit I prefer my BC friends, guess I just have more in common with them except hockey teams. Feel bad for others having issues making friends out in Vancouver, you get idiots and losers everywhere, but there are good people out there.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #104
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Horgan said he can't do the work because of the chemo wear and tear. He's clean but he doesn't have the energy for another 6 year election cycle.

EDIT: I don't politic a lot nor care to but I think Horgans government did a passable job save for the museum blunder.

Like their decisions haven't affected the string I'm barely hanging onto. So in my world, that's passable. A good job would be getting these rents stabilized so I can have somewhere to sleep and actually afford.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-28-2022 at 07:01 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #105
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Bank robbery was Bananas! Who robs timed safes anymore? And for the lowest amount of chump change in drawers possible?

So much Trauma for so little.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #106
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
That Bank robbery was Bananas! Who robs timed safes anymore? And for the lowest amount of chump change in drawers possible?

So much Trauma for so little.
Six police officers shot. One is apparently in very bad shape and may not make it. Two of the suspects are dead. Awful.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #107
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm surprised you would come to this conclusion as Alberta has long worked the longest hours of all Canadians.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...nt-study-finds

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/albertans...iving-1.771124

https://www.mitrefinch.ca/blog/time-...%202.2%20hours.
Interesting. I was not aware of those statistics, and to be honest I thought the assertion was borne of the incorrect assumption that everyone working in BC is unionized. I've certainly fought that stereotype with my Alberta friends over the years. Nevertheless, it does appear that there is something going on with Albertans working long hours.

To be clear, in no way would I suggest that Albertans are not hard working people in general. I have a very strong work ethic and I attribute it to my upbringing in the construction industry in Calgary during lean economic times when you were lucky to have a job and knew that there was someone hungry waiting to take it from you if you didn't perform.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:09 AM   #108
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As things become more dire, people become more desperate and crime goes up.

Desperate? They robbed a Brick and Mortar Bank?? What year is this?

How much cash does an actual retail Bank even have that a 'smash & grab' robbery could realistically hope to steal anyways?
Complete hearsay and internet rumour, so take it with a grain of salt, but someone on Reddit who claims to have insider knowledge said that there is a valuable item being stored at the bank and they assume that was the target of the robbery. They wouldn't say what it was though as to not give anyone any ideas. If true, it is probably moved now anyway. Likely BS like most internet rumours, but it would make sense I guess.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:01 AM   #109
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Desperate? They robbed a Brick and Mortar Bank?? What year is this?
Still happens roughly once a month...

<.< >.>
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:03 AM   #110
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, the TD in Forest Lawn gets robbed about once every 3 weeks. Usually just a note but armed robbery isn't uncommon here at all
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:36 AM   #111
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This thread has derailed a bit. Lets go back to taking the piss out of the poster from Sundance. That was the best part.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 07:35 AM   #112
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This thread has derailed a bit. Lets go back to taking the piss out of the poster from Sundance. That was the best part.
“Ummm, it’s called urban sprawl? Anyone?”

We need Dion to come in here and complain about the Calgary traffic vs Vancouver traffic based on his commute from High River.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #113
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Complete hearsay and internet rumour, so take it with a grain of salt, but someone on Reddit who claims to have insider knowledge said that there is a valuable item being stored at the bank and they assume that was the target of the robbery. They wouldn't say what it was though as to not give anyone any ideas. If true, it is probably moved now anyway. Likely BS like most internet rumours, but it would make sense I guess.
The more likely explanation is that these guys were just morons. Most criminals are.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:46 AM   #114
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was years ago, 2016-2017 but I was shocked to learn that there were over a dozen bank robberies a year in the lower mainland. My friend is a cop in the VPD and he just said normally nothing happens or it is minor and never gets reported on.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:06 AM   #115
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
It was years ago, 2016-2017 but I was shocked to learn that there were over a dozen bank robberies a year in the lower mainland. My friend is a cop in the VPD and he just said normally nothing happens or it is minor and never gets reported on.
I wonder what qualifies as as "bank robbery" though. I'm assuming the vast majority of these robberies aren't Heat style fiasco's with gun fights in the street.

Does stealing from a guy at an ATM inside of a bank qualify as a "bank robbery"?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #116
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I wonder what qualifies as as "bank robbery" though. I'm assuming the vast majority of these robberies aren't Heat style fiasco's with gun fights in the street.

Does stealing from a guy at an ATM inside of a bank qualify as a "bank robbery"?
Most are likely a guy hands a teller a note claiming to be armed and that it’s a robbery and the teller hands them the lose cash and the robber leaves.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #117
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m hearing they did this to lure police officers to the bank for a gun fight. Apparently they were having casual conversation with bank employees inside. They didn’t expect the emergency response team to be nearby preparing to execute a warrant. Very fortunate that ERT responded and not regular officers or this could have been much worse.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #118
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Brick and mortar banks with in person tellers. Most are of low money value so never reported on by the media. This was back when there was a string of actual bank robberies with guns. It may be as far back as 2010 or 2011 as my years get all jumbled up these days with the past two or three years being a blur.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #119
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I’m hearing they did this to lure police officers to the bank for a gun fight. Apparently they were having casual conversation with bank employees inside. They didn’t expect the emergency response team to be nearby preparing to execute a warrant. Very fortunate that ERT responded and not regular officers or this could have been much worse.
At the risk of going OT there was a conversation recently about CPS and how having a TAC team was a waste of money when they are rarely used because how often does something like a bank shootout ever happen. I responded to that but will re-state it hear. Years ago we got a tour of the TAC Team facility and one of the things I learned was the team was deployed when executing higher risk warrants which is almost every day. Exactly what happened here by the sounds of it, and they just happened to be in the same vicinity and were able to quickly respond.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #120
RobotTalk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Can you elaborate on where you're hearing this, cause that's a pretty big story if it's true.
RobotTalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world