Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #101
tjinaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

But yet everyone here is already convinced the Police are racist as well as Zimmerman.

Is DOJ bringing Zimmerman up on murder or manslaughter charges?

Last edited by tjinaz; 03-23-2012 at 04:47 PM.
tjinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #102
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinaz View Post
I haven't seen the evidence that contradicts the police account. I hesitate to accuse an entire police force of racism based on little evidence.

So I thought the point here was to get justice for the wronged and their family. That being if there was wrongdoing to jail or possibly even capital punishment for the offender. Even the DOJ admits that is unlikely.

http://www.thegrio.com/politics/just...xperts-say.php

So what is the end game here? I thought we were looking for justice?

MINISTER FARRAKHAN ‏ @LouisFarrakhan

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Where there is no justice, there will be no peace. Soon and very soon, the law of retaliation may very well be applied. #Trayvon
This would be because although it would seem likely that the lad was singled out by Zimmerman because he was black, his use of the phrase 'they always get away', there is no proof of that which is what is needed for a hate crime conviction, that of course doesn't mean it wasn't a murder.

The DOJ might look into the local police but again while their lack of investigation into the shooting is indicative of incredibly poor police work and an absoloute lack of understanding of the concept of self defence there is nothing to suggest it was more than rank incompitance at this stage.

To be clear the department of Justice has no pervue to prosecute Zimmerman for murder at this stage, they are looking at and commenting on whether they are likley to convict someone on a charge of a hate crime. Realistically they are really making sure the local authorities do their job in this case.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 03-23-2012 at 04:47 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #103
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But yet everyone here is already convinced the Police are racist as well as Zimmerman.

Well they actually don't have the power to do that, but thanks for playing. Murder and manslaughter are not federal crimes.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #104
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I thought you were an american? this is US constitution 101
Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #105
tjinaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't deal with criminal code much

Why wouldn't they not be able to recommend to State authorities to charge? Just because the locals didn't doesn't mean state can't
tjinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #106
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If the Justice Department is getting involved, maybe the President shouldn't be getting involved.
The first black President should keep his mouth shut about alleged institutional racism? I find that to be a rather objectionable comment.

Imagine telling Bush that he shouldn't get involved in disputes involving Texans or the Church or other issues relevant to injustice that he is expected to identify with.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #107
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't seen the evidence that contradicts the police account. I hesitate to accuse an entire police force of racism based on little evidence.

So I thought the point here was to get justice for the wronged and their family. That being if there was wrongdoing to jail or possibly even capital punishment for the offender. Even the DOJ admits that is unlikely.

http://www.thegrio.com/politics/just...xperts-say.php

So what is the end game here? I thought we were looking for justice?

MINISTER FARRAKHAN ‏ @LouisFarrakhan

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Where there is no justice, there will be no peace. Soon and very soon, the law of retaliation may very well be applied. #Trayvon
Apparently your reading comprehension skills are lacking or you simply don't understand what is going on here in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
And one DOJ official, who did not want to be quoted, said at least the initial evidence suggests it will be hard to prosecute Zimmerman under federal hate crimes law.
An inability o prosecute under federal law doesn't mean Zimmerman walks, it means that he won't face federal charges. The DOJ official is making no statement as to the likelihood of conviction under Florida law, and why would he seeing as he's not able to bring those charges.

I'm not sure there's much point in discussing this with you. You apparently can't, or more likely won't, understand the issues at play. You don't seem capable of comprehending the simplest issue, or even the simplest of point made in this thread and yet you've decided that a mention of relating to this boys death by seeing his own children is the President playing the race card and nothing more. The ignorance you've displayed as to the role of race in this country is astounding, but I suppose that makes you fit right in in the great state of Arizona.

Last edited by valo403; 03-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #108
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

See below

Last edited by valo403; 03-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #109
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't deal with criminal code much

Why wouldn't they not be able to recommend to State authorities to charge? Just because the locals didn't doesn't mean state can't
This really is basic civics, you should have learned this in high school.

There are federal crimes and state crimes, homicide is a state crime. The federal government has no ability to compel a state to lay charges, sort of a part of that whole federalism premise the country is founded on. You may have heard about a war over it, the civil war.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #110
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
This really is basic civics, you should have learned this in high school.

There are federal crimes and state crimes, homicide is a state crime. The federal government has no ability to compel a state to lay charges, sort of a part of that whole federalism premise the country is founded on. You may have heard about a war over it, the civil war.
I shall add this, as if I dont somebody will point out, with the usual 'see you was wrong therefore everything you say forever is wrong' adendum, that there are specific homocides the feds either have or can argue they should have jurisdiiction over, this murder would not be covered by any of those situations though.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
The first black President should keep his mouth shut about alleged institutional racism? I find that to be a rather objectionable comment.

Imagine telling Bush that he shouldn't get involved in disputes involving Texans or the Church or other issues relevant to injustice that he is expected to identify with.
Wow

If the Department of Justice is initiating a investigation while the President of the United States is adding a race color to the incident don't you think that is an improper application of command influence?

All he has to say is that the department of Justice is looking into it, or the State is investigating and leave it at that.

Same if Bush as President gets involve in a church or state dispute.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #112
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow

If the Department of Justice is initiating a investigation while the President of the United States is adding a race color to the incident don't you think that is an improper application of command influence?
"adding a race color?" This murder happened nearly a month ago. This is the first thing, far as I know, that Obama has said about it. The race angle didn't start today.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #113
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wow

All he has to say is that the department of Justice is looking into it, or the State is investigating and leave it at that.

Same if Bush as President gets involve in a church or state dispute.
I don't think he should have said anything besides that the death was a tragedy, however I also don't really see anything wrong with what he said. He isn't influencing any investigation. He's merely pointing out the obvious that young black men are stereotyped as criminals often in the US today.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #114
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Especially when they wear hoodies, they're practically asking to get shot.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montana Moe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #115
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Remember that schools down here weren't even really integrated until the 70s. Locally I've met people who said when they graduated high school in 72 the school was still segregated. Perhaps it was "illegal" but it still happened. You folks are very savvy about the US so I'm sure you've picked up on the fact that to much of the US, Florida is the ultimate scumhole in every way.
Dang, I'm still waiting for someone to check out the Rice Lake Loop house and guess who lives there.haha

As far as gated communities go, my next house is going to be surrounded by a an alligator-filled moat.

Segregation isn't allowed but they still do it. The best way to do it now is the Greek system, here at Bama it has become a real hot topic because only the white kids get in.
BTW I grew up in Ft. Myers.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #116
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
I don't think he should have said anything besides that the death was a tragedy, however I also don't really see anything wrong with what he said. He isn't influencing any investigation. He's merely pointing out the obvious that young black men are stereotyped as criminals often in the US today.
He didn't even point that out, people need to read the full text of what he said as opposed to make a judgement based on the headline worthy quote. He was simply making the point, a point I've heard made dozens of times, that when he looks at his children it makes it very easy for him to relate to the anguish that the family is feeling in this case. The fact that doing so has become 'playing the race card' pretty much sums up how deep in the dark ages this country is when it comes to issues of race.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #117
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
Generally, Presidents and Prime Ministers are coaxed to not even offer support of their favourite charities lest they be accused of favouritism.

Commenting beyond generalities in this case could be seen as as the chief executive officer of the land offering moral suasion in support of a side. The headline in the Miami Herald this morning, as an example, states flatly the White House is supporting the victim. Whether or not that was Obama's intent, that is in fact the result.

Meanwhile, in the Tampa Tribune, a good column on this with an interview with the architect of the law and mentioning similar cases where no charges were pressed. . . . .

http://www2.tbo.com/news/columns/201...rou-ar-384495/

Cowperson
Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #118
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If this Zimmerman guy was indeed following/stalking Trayvon before shooting him, that is not the proper use of the second amendment, and I'm sure he will be found guilty and serve time.

I don't know why Obama needed to say anything at all. Maybe he should show public sympathy for the victims of this crime as well?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lind-date.html

mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #119
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
If this Zimmerman guy was indeed following/stalking Trayvon before shooting him, that is not the proper use of the second amendment, and I'm sure he will be found guilty and serve time.

I don't know why Obama needed to say anything at all. Maybe he should show public sympathy for the victims of this crime as well?

I'm sure he would of if the cops let that kid walk.

If there's ever a case for the electric chair though, geez.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #120
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post

He was asked a question about the killing by a reporter and he gave a response. He didn't have a press conference about it, but he understandably had some thoughts about one of the major news stories in the U.S. If the murder of the elderly couple dominated the news and he was asked about that, I'm sure he would say it was tragic as well.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote