Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #101
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
No kidding, how to plebs and commoners survive without these perks??
That article makes it seem like you can forget about sleep, watching your kids sports events, dances or recitals......seems like the type of place that sucks your soul dry....unless you really get off on making work your life
Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #102
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary is not getting the next Amazon office. Get real people. What does Calgary have to offer Amazon that dozens of American cities cannot already offer, who already have the advantage of being American cities? Nothing.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #103
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most likely they won't come here. But it's just discussion, so what's the harm?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #104
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

No harm. Now hold my beer. I'm going to be banging Scarlett Johansson later tonight.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #105
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why so salty.

No one is going to die from discussing something that doesn't end up happening. It happens all the time on forums.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #106
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why so salty.

No one is going to die from discussing something that doesn't end up happening. It happens all the time on forums.
What? I'm sorry, I can't hear you. I'm banging Scarlett Johansson.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #107
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread isn't about you. You don't have to take it as a personal affront.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #108
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This thread isn't about you. You don't have to take it as a personal affront.
This thread isn't about you turning it into something personal. Don't be that guy.

What does Calgary have to offer that one of dozens of American cities, especially those on the east coast, have to offer Amazon?
Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #109
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This thread isn't about you turning it into something personal. Don't be that guy.

What does Calgary have to offer that one of dozens of American cities, especially those on the east coast, have to offer Amazon?
You could read the thread and see that people are discussing what we could potentially offer. Go ahead and disagree, that's fine. It's extremely unlikely this would happen.

Instead you decide to get vitriolic. HOW DARE PEOPLE DISCUSS THIS?!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #110
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Read the fricken thread, ya donut.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #111
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must admit I found this discussion a bit odd, as there is not a chance in hell any Canadian city would be getting it, and there seems no reason any western city in either Canada or the US would get it either, as if they needed it on this coast they'd just build it in Seattle, either a massively larger office to replace what they have but with bigger space or a second campus nearby, Seattle has a lot of space for companies to develop in once you get outside the downtown area.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #112
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could read the thread and see that people are discussing what we could potentially offer. Go ahead and disagree, that's fine. It's extremely unlikely this would happen.

Instead you decide to get vitriolic. HOW DARE PEOPLE DISCUSS THIS?!
Vitriolic? Stating Calgary has no serious chance at this? That ain't vitriol, that's reality. Take a look at the requirements. If there is a Canadian city in this mix, its Toronto. Great access to shipping, including water, air and land? Check. Great access to a million plus people? Check. Great access to good schools? Check. Room to accommodate 50,000 workers? Check. Infrastructure to support all of the above? Check. Calgary? None of the above. Be realistic in what you're suggesting.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #113
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Once upon a time people thought Jagr coming to Calgary was impossible.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #114
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

New Era is one annoying poster.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #115
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know whatever happened to this guy, but we had interviewed a software guy some time back for a position in Calgary, he had also managed to get an offer from Amazon in Seattle. Apparently there was no way we could match what he was being offered by them for benefits and salary, and this was during the boom years, and we were offering a pretty decent salary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #116
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
New Era is one annoying poster.
What an incredibly deep contribution to the discussion. How about dealing with the discussion and not attacking the poster? I could have easily shredded nik to pieces, but instead asked him to focus on the issue and answer the question. What does Calgary have that dozens of other American cities do not have to offer? Answer that question.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #117
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What an incredibly deep contribution to the discussion. How about dealing with the discussion and not attacking the poster? I could have easily shredded nik to pieces, but instead asked him to focus on the issue and answer the question. What does Calgary have that dozens of other American cities do not have to offer? Answer that question.
SHREDDED TO PIECES!!

EASILY!!!

Because you got salty because you're demanding to know things that have been discussed in the thread that you apparently think shouldn't even exist?

1. Read the thread
2. Agree or disagree
3. Post your reasoning without being so grumpy.
4. Move on and stop internalizing the internet.

You seem to take arguing on the internet WAY too seriously. It's not healthy homie.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #118
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, you probably couldn't have. Nik comes across as a hundreds times more intelligent, level headed and well reasoned then you.

Your problem is you're incredibly tone deaf. If the thread had people boasting about what a shoe-in Calgary was to land this you might have a point, that's not happening however. People are saying what a good fit this could be for our city but despite that it's probably a long shot. Some are saying that even knowing we'd lose out it's still good to see the city going after a big fish like this.

You somehow missed all those points and ideas and decided to enter the thread with your one inch'r out peeing all over the place.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #119
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Well, you probably couldn't have. Nik comes across as a hundreds times more intelligent, level headed and well reasoned then you.

Your problem is you're incredibly tone deaf. If the thread had people boasting about what a shoe-in Calgary was to land this you might have a point, that's not happening however. People are saying what a good fit this could be for our city but despite that it's probably a long shot. Some are saying that even knowing we'd lose out it's still good to see the city going after a big fish like this.

You somehow missed all those points and ideas and decided to enter the thread with your one inch'r out peeing all over the place.
Except it isn't a good fit for Calgary. You talk about tone deaf, consider what you just posted. Calgary doesn't meet many of the requirements that Amazon is demanding, in any shape of form. That's just reality. Please tell me how Calgary can compete with any of the top 50 metro cities in North America? And please be specific in regards to what Amazon is demanding.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #120
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SHREDDED TO PIECES!!

EASILY!!!

Because you got salty because you're demanding to know things that have been discussed in the thread that you apparently think shouldn't even exist?

1. Read the thread
2. Agree or disagree
3. Post your reasoning without being so grumpy.
4. Move on and stop internalizing the internet.

You seem to take arguing on the internet WAY too seriously. It's not healthy homie.
I'm not the one suggesting that someone is salty because they disagree with my point of view. I was just clearly saying that Calgary doesn't have a chance at this, and doesn't come close to competing with dozens of American cities. Please post anything that would make Calgary better than any of dozens of American cities, and I mean besides some bull#### article that says Calgary is a top five city on the planet. If you can post some measures that will support that, you may be on to something to stand on, but otherwise, its a useless measure that doesn't amount to a hill of beans.