Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #101
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he looked nervous, and as others have mentioned, didn't have the best rebound control. I don't think he lost the US any games, and he definitely didn't steal any. It wasn't on his shoulders why the US was eliminated.

I would say I am 'disappointed' in his outing this WJC, but I don't think this changes how I feel about him as a prospect, or what I think his ceiling is. Will be interesting to see how he responds in Providence. Hopefully that team makes a good playoff run, and we can see him in another pressure situation this season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #102
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta be disappointing to get bounced this early; hopefully he uses the experience to push himself to get better.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #103
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I thought he looked nervous, and as others have mentioned, didn't have the best rebound control. I don't think he lost the US any games, and he definitely didn't steal any. It wasn't on his shoulders why the US was eliminated.

I would say I am 'disappointed' in his outing this WJC, but I don't think this changes how I feel about him as a prospect, or what I think his ceiling is. Will be interesting to see how he responds in Providence. Hopefully that team makes a good playoff run, and we can see him in another pressure situation this season.
I agree, he didn't lose them any games. He let in a few weak goals, but probably stopped an equal amount that he shouldn't have. He's been getting a pretty rough ride over at HF this tournament, but I think a lot of the posters there are ignoring how much weaker a team this year's group is.

Like Freeway said, it will be interesting to see how he finishes out his season from here. It should give us some indication on how he'll respond to adversity later on.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #104
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully we grab another goalie prospect this draft. imo you can never count your chickens till they are hatched. Gillies could end up an all star or the next McElhinney, best to keep a large stable of goalies at all times, you can always trade them.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #105
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Hopefully we grab another goalie prospect this draft. imo you can never count your chickens till they are hatched. Gillies could end up an all star or the next McElhinney, best to keep a large stable of goalies at all times, you can always trade them.
Hard to argue with that from my point of view. If the Flames had their second rounder last year, they would have had the opportunity to grab Fucale.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 01-02-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #106
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Hard to argue with that from my point of view. If the Flames had their second rounder last year, they would have had the opportunity to grab Fucale.
Isn't that what Montreal did with our second rounder.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #107
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could always use more goalies. I think we should add one goalie into the organization each year until we find a top tier goalie.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #108
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If history is any indication, Burke is more likely to go out and sign one of those dreaded "best goalie not in the NHL" guys than draft one.

He ran 4 drafts for the Leafs, had 29 total picks, and drafted one Goalie (Garret Sparks, 190th overall in 2011, the Leafs' 8th pick of the draft). He drafted 4 goalies in 4 years with Anaheim. In 6 years with the Canucks, he drafted 4 goalies -- 3 in one year. He picked one goalie in two drafts with Hartford (Manny Legace, the only goalie he drafted with more than one NHL game played).

On the other hand, Hiller, Gustavsson, and Scrivens were all signed as free agents to their first NHL contracts by Burke. Each has had more success than any goalie drafted by Burke in the last 20 years.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #109
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dear lord. USA stinks it up with a sub par roster and Gillies shows some nerves and now we should start looking at other goalies too.. WJCs aren't the be all end all.

I mean, we should continue to add depth to our goaltender pool regardless, but this shouldn't be the motivation to do so. I have every confidence in Gillies' potential as a top goalie.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #110
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Dear lord. USA stinks it up with a sub par roster and Gillies shows some nerves and now we should start looking at other goalies too.. WJCs aren't the be all end all.

I mean, we should continue to add depth to our goaltender pool regardless, but this shouldn't be the motivation to do so. I have every confidence in Gillies' potential as a top goalie.
same here. Doesn't hurt though to continue to build depth.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #111
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another busted draft pick, according to the fair weather brain trust around the web. Everyone just CTFO and acknowledge the was the weakest American squad in years and it would have been a miracle to see them repeat as medalists, let alone tournament favorites. Gillies was in a no win position. It appears that no matter what he does in the future he will remain in a no win situation with the fans here, just like Berra and Ramo. I'm actually happy team USA #### the bed. This will aid his development. Let the kid go through the highs and lows of development as it will make him stronger and more prepared for the lack of support that Calgary fans have traditionally afforded goaltenders.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #112
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Isn't that what Montreal did with our second rounder.
Yes. It will be interesting to see how that pick plays out compared to Ramo coming the other way...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #113
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think we pick Fucale if we still had our second rounder last year. I bet we would've selected Nic Petan
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #114
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I don't think we pick Fucale if we still had our second rounder last year. I bet we would've selected Nic Petan
Yah, wasn't Petan one of the guys the Flames brought into Calgary before the draft along with all? the other guys the Flames picked in the first round?

I bet Burke wouldn't have picked Petan
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #115
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Yah, wasn't Petan one of the guys the Flames brought into Calgary before the draft along with all? the other guys the Flames picked in the first round?

I bet Burke wouldn't have picked Petan
yep. Monahan, Poirier, Klimchuk and Petan were the four guys they brought in for their mini camp. I think it's safe to assume that they would have picked Petan at 36.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #116
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last years USA World Junior team was stacked with talent. The defense especially was an impressive group.

Gillies is still as good a prospect as he was last week...
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #117
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

This has nothing to do with Gillies. Like I said a goalie hasn't made it till he's made it. This is just due diligence load up as much as you can and trade what you don't need. Blindly putting all your eggs in Ortio and Gilles is dumb. Especially when goalies can be taken with late round picks.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #118
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I was hoping the Flames would have picked Petan at 28 over Klimchuk but given the small stature of Sven and Gaudreau I can understand why they went for a bigger (although not a lot bigger) guy.

Regarding Gillies I thought he looked mediocre at best and downright bad at times for USA. That doesn't mean I think he's going to be a bust. It simply means he had a bad tournament. I don't think this changes anything but he may have to get more accustomed to playing under the spotlight if in fact it was a case of nerves.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #119
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think this changes anything but he may have to get more accustomed to playing under the spotlight if in fact it was a case of nerves.
I think this is the difference with a lot of goalies. Can they stand up to the limelight of the NHL and other high stress situations? McElhinney, despite great stats in the AHL had trouble transferring this to the NHL. Irving seemed to handle the pressure better, at least at first. Gillies is still very young though and is still very promising.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #120
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is going to seem (or is) a stupid, pointless bump, but I'm planning on making Jon in NHL 14 once I pick it up. What style of goaltender would he be and what would be his biggest strengths in terms of technical skills?