Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think gets to meet Lucile first?
Glenn 66 47.14%
Rosita 0 0%
Daryl 10 7.14%
Michonne 2 1.43%
Abe 31 22.14%
Maggie 4 2.86%
Rick 2 1.43%
Sasha 2 1.43%
Aaron 7 5.00%
Carl 1 0.71%
Eugene 14 10.00%
Somebody else 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #1161
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The weird thing is they've actually had dear (and other similar animals) in the show before, and they did not nearly that bad. They decided to do some weird artsy episode that focused on the dear, and it looked like crap?

I get why the show wants to change up the pace hear and there, but this episode was weird. I actually thought some of their previous artsy episodes were some of their best. For example, where Carol kills the kids or where Tyrese dies.

The current writers need to stick to the comic material. Whenever they diverge too much you end up with this non-sensical crap.

The leader of the Scavengers (yes that's their name) apparently has a Scottish accent. Maybe after casting they realized she was incapable of doing a proper North American accent and came up with the stupid speech pattern?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #1162
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The leader of the Scavengers (yes that's their name) apparently has a Scottish accent. Maybe after casting they realized she was incapable of doing a proper North American accent and came up with the stupid speech pattern?
Don't think it would matter if she had a Scottish accent. All different kinds of accents in North America.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #1163
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The weird thing is they've actually had dear (and other similar animals) in the show before, and they did not nearly that bad. They decided to do some weird artsy episode that focused on the dear, and it looked like crap?

I get why the show wants to change up the pace hear and there, but this episode was weird. I actually thought some of their previous artsy episodes were some of their best. For example, where Carol kills the kids or where Tyrese dies.

The current writers need to stick to the comic material. Whenever they diverge too much you end up with this non-sensical crap.

Are you doing this on purpose? It's killing me inside.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #1164
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

They must have had very little budget for that episode. They had the awkward moment where Michonne oddly walks behind some sort of building before killing two walkers out of sight. Then her next few kills they didn't clearly show the kills on camera, obviously to avoid having to do the special effects.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #1165
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
They must have had very little budget for that episode. They had the awkward moment where Michonne oddly walks behind some sort of building before killing two walkers out of sight. Then her next few kills they didn't clearly show the kills on camera, obviously to avoid having to do the special effects.
I noticed that walker Rosita killed with the bloated face was a lot fancier than regular walkers. Maybe they went over budget on that?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #1166
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one that looked like Jabba the Hutt?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #1167
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the walkers are even needed at this point in the show. They are easily defensible and no longer pose any authentic risk to anyone that has survived this long.

I am genuinely curious if the walkers were removed altogether from the show, how long it would take before the audience noticed or if anybody would care. Its not that they can't still be interesting in some ways, but they are not really the threat they were when all of this was new.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 AM   #1168
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was secretly hoping female Jabba the Hutt would get to feast on Rosita before she did something dumb.

Now she's gonna do something dumb.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #1169
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't think the walkers are even needed at this point in the show. They are easily defensible and no longer pose any authentic risk to anyone that has survived this long.

I am genuinely curious if the walkers were removed altogether from the show, how long it would take before the audience noticed or if anybody would care. Its not that they can't still be interesting in some ways, but they are not really the threat they were when all of this was new.
No, I disagree. They are an X-factor that always plays into the movements of people in the groups. If you're talking about small groups of walkers, yes it's easy. Large herds are a significant obstacle, and it forces them to alter plans, or perhaps avoid situations entirely.

If you get careless, the walkers get you. You have to be ever vigilant against them just to stay alive. It's a factor that plays into every person's psyche. If not for the walkers, the world would already be rebuilding into what it was before. Since that isn't happening, guys like Negan are ruling the post-apocalyptic world with brute force.

It's still important, just not the driving factor for decision making.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #1170
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tend to believe if this scenario was to play out there would be a military presence as I'm sure a lot of important political and wealthy would have been sent underground during the outbreak and now that things are manageable I would imagine that government officials and military would have surfaced to take inventory of the situation. Maybe that's the next direction for the show?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #1171
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

I think this is actually a major strength of the show. They've made the human interactions compelling enough that the walkers are serving their purpose as a plot device.

The show is supposed to be about the way humans interact after the breakdown of society. The walkers create a plot device that keeps society broken down. It's actually a pretty good one too. As the walkers are irrational and continuing. I can't really think of any other conditions that would produce the same result.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #1172
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's what zombie fiction is always supposed to be about, ultimately. You create a world where the most horrible monsters are trying to kill you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and human beings are still the greatest threat to each others' wellbeing. It's a comment on human nature. Think about Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later... who are the worst monsters, the biggest threat, who does the most damage to the protagonists? It's never the zombies.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #1173
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I tend to believe if this scenario was to play out there would be a military presence as I'm sure a lot of important political and wealthy would have been sent underground during the outbreak and now that things are manageable I would imagine that government officials and military would have surfaced to take inventory of the situation. Maybe that's the next direction for the show?
They tried to deal with that a few times..They've shown remnants of military outposts in this show and in FTWD. The military always seems to break down due to selfish and/or totalitarian attitudes. The military also seems to rely heavily on communications and technology, which is a problem in a post-apocalyptic world.

Another major issue with just hiding away and bunkering up is that anyone who dies becomes a zombie. So you cannot protect yourself just by hiding away. An outbreak can happen anytime, even within an isolated group.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #1174
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm
Old 03-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #1175
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's what zombie fiction is always supposed to be about, ultimately. You create a world where the most horrible monsters are trying to kill you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and human beings are still the greatest threat to each others' wellbeing. It's a comment on human nature. Think about Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later... who are the worst monsters, the biggest threat, who does the most damage to the protagonists? It's never the zombies.
That's true, but the problem with Walking Dead is that the zombies are no longer a credible threat, except when it's convenient.
95% of the time you can kill a walker with about 0 effort. 5% of the time omg they're so dangerous look out Rick might die!

Which brings me to the other thing with that episode. Seriously, pretending Rick is dead? This show just loves to insult it's viewers.

Last edited by Torture; 03-08-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #1176
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
That's true, but the problem with Walking Dead is that the zombies are no longer a credible threat, except when it's convenient.

I think I would just like to see a little more exploration done. The zombies aren't serious threats anymore, it would be interesting to see the writers bring some life back into them, because now they are just background noise that are used simply for gross-out effect.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #1177
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
95% of the time you can kill a walker with about 0 effort. 5% of the time omg they're so dangerous look out Rick might die!

Which brings me to the other thing with that episode. Seriously, pretending Rick is dead? This show just loves to insult it's viewers.
It's pretty obvious it was a plot point to give Michonne a reason to doubt/change her view on the whole Negan situation.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #1178
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't think that moment of tension was for us so much as Michonne. Her reaction to the potential death was for the benefit of the audience, not the potential death itself. It seemed so obvious that it was the deer they were eating that it wouldn't have fooled an eight year old, and they showed us the deer beforehand - they didn't have to do that. Usually when the show tries to trick its audience into thinking a main character died, they use camera tricks to make it look as clear as possible that they're toast and leave very little to the imagination - think Glenn and the dumpster.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #1179
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's a sizeable slew of characters that I simply do not like in this show. Rosita, Tara, Coral (not to be confused with Carol), Carol (not to be confused with Coral), Gabriel, and the list goes on. Even Rick and Michonne are somehow rubbing me the wrong way these days. Characters I currently have somewhat of an affinity for are some of the off-the-wallers like Eugene (haven't always, but he's growing on me), Jesus, the King, and then of course Negan and Steven Oggs' character. Darryl's gained my respect since seemingly emerging from the "Easy Street" incident more or less mentally intact.

Speaking of Coral, where's he these days? Is Riggs in school or something, or has his acting prowess garnered him a restrictively high salary that keeps him off most episodes? I'm trying to remember where we saw him last- wasn't he still being groomed as Negan's boy-protege back at Saviour HQ?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #1180
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also been a while since Maggie had a scene.