Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2024, 10:58 AM   #11721
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Woke causes forest fires, I guess...?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 11:08 AM   #11722
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing how he manages to start with a few extremely misleading "facts" as a springboard to justifying why the right votes Trump.

It's not comedy, it's not news, and it's not even true. Why do people watch this loser again? To get a glimpse of Piers Morgan maybe? Baffling.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 12:10 PM   #11723
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's amazing how he manages to start with a few extremely misleading "facts" as a springboard to justifying why the right votes Trump.

It's not comedy, it's not news, and it's not even true. Why do people watch this loser again? To get a glimpse of Piers Morgan maybe? Baffling.
Much like Ben Shapiro, he's a stupid person's idea of a smart person.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 08:04 PM   #11724
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a lot of non-sequiturs, that for sure.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:36 PM   #11725
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Absolute crushing interview on CTV Power Play with Vassy Kapelos with former Bank of Canada Gov. David Dodge.

Summary is

1) This budget will probably be the worst budget in terms of strategy and direction in decades, especially the rumored tax on corporations and wealthy Canadians.

2) This government and it's complete lack of investment in innovation, capital, equipment and more has resulted in a significant less wealth affect for low and middle class Canadians. Poor policy has resulted in people not having the savings for rent, housing, food and more.

3) Canada has pretty much gone all in on a housing strategy over these years that hasn't worked and is now doubling down on it.

4) Canada needs to change course.

I will update with video once it gets uploaded
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 03:38 PM   #11726
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Rumblings that tomorrow’s budget is gonna be quite the doozy… increased taxes here we come. And I have my doubts it stops at “the wealthy” (what does this mean)?

If only the government could like, ya know, tell us where they spend the money… maybe they’d get more buy-in.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 04-15-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:40 PM   #11727
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Absolute crushing interview on CTV Power Play with Vassy Kapelos with former Bank of Canada Gov. David Dodge.

Summary is

1) This budget will probably be the worst budget in terms of strategy and direction in decades, especially the rumored tax on corporations and wealthy Canadians.

2) This government and it's complete lack of investment in innovation, capital, equipment and more has resulted in a significant less wealth affect for low and middle class Canadians. Poor policy has resulted in people not having the savings for rent, housing, food and more.

3) Canada has pretty much gone all in on a housing strategy over these years that hasn't worked and is now doubling down on it.

4) Canada needs to change course.

I will update with video once it gets uploaded
Oh no, not the corporations and wealthy Canadians!! Stop right there and take it all back!
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 03:48 PM   #11728
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Poor policy has resulted in people not having the savings for rent, housing, food and more.
Couldn't be because private equity firms and the ultra wealthy buying up all the housing and pricing Canadians out of the market? Couldn't be commodity speculators continually pushing prices of goods higher and higher? Nah, couldn't be that.

Quick, give more tax cuts to the rich, tell Putin to invade a few more countries, and remind everyone that climate change isn't real. That'll solve everything!
Old 04-15-2024, 03:52 PM   #11729
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have no idea but there is a poster called BanfuzzfromCP watching this thread which is hilarious.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 03:57 PM   #11730
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Rumblings that tomorrow’s budget is gonna be quite the doozy… increased taxes here we come. And I have my doubts it stops at “the wealthy” (what does this mean)?

If only the government could like, ya know, tell us where they spend the money… maybe they’d get more buy-in.
I would expect that this is an "election budget" where tax increases aren't going to hit everyone. In my view, they can't do anything too crazy facing an election in a year and with where they are in the polls these days. I also think that they've trotted a lot of this out over the past couple weeks.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:14 PM   #11731
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I have no idea but there is a poster called BanfuzzfromCP watching this thread which is hilarious.
I think there was something like “AntiFuzz” or before as well.

Fuzz pissed off someone crazy.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:22 PM   #11732
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm all for taxing corporations who use real estate to pad their pockets, AirBNB owners, and rich 'middle' class people who are buying 3rd and 4th properties.

But hey, thats just me.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #11733
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
It was a user that was banned more than a year ago (or maybe even 2).

They still send abusive emails constantly, register accounts like that constantly, etc.

At least confirming it was the correct decision.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:24 PM   #11734
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The budget will balance itself don't cha know?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:30 PM   #11735
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Couldn't be because private equity firms and the ultra wealthy buying up all the housing and pricing Canadians out of the market? Couldn't be commodity speculators continually pushing prices of goods higher and higher? Nah, couldn't be that.

Quick, give more tax cuts to the rich, tell Putin to invade a few more countries, and remind everyone that climate change isn't real. That'll solve everything!

As I had indicated, this was former BOC Gov speaking, and he was quite critical. A lot of the concerns people have with the Canadian government, this budget, Canada's competitiveness both with it's people and it's business have been long standing issues.

The points you made are accurate but so are criticisms that were and have been discussed for years.

Productivity: You and Me's counterparts in the USA blow us out of the water. It's not even a comparison. They are hungrier, smarter, more competitive and want it more. This does lead to a more national income.

Energy Policy: It's become quite clear that the Liberals position on this hasn't been the best, as rightly predicted. America has become such an energy superpower and is exporting energy, building pipelines and more. Our energy capital (Calgary/AB) has loads of empty real estate, significantly less total employment and we are just now about to finish a national pipeline by the government to the tune of maybe nearly $40 billion or 8-10 times the original cost. Well done work there by all.

Overall competitiveness: This is something that people have been critical of this government from a policy perspective and previous governments. Canada isn't some small country, we are 40 million people. We need to be innovative. Canadians as a whole aren't the smartest. We rely on natural resource extraction, some stable banking/insurance, trade with the US and not a whole lot else. Take those out and look at the top companies in Canada vs other G8 countries and we can all see just how piss poor of a global job we do.

It's not PM Trudeau's fault for everything here, I am not suggesting that. His government has been in power for 9 years so they do share a lot of blame. I don't think another Conservative government would do anything extremely substantially better.

The concerns being raised by the business community, individual Canadians, small business, economists and global forces should also be listened to. We can all do better
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:31 PM   #11736
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Quote:

Is there a source for the said rumblings? I need to prepare some outrage in advance.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:37 PM   #11737
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For those who would like to see the interview with former BOC Gov. Dodge with CTV's Vassy Kapelos

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video/c290432...stId=1.6735503
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:45 PM   #11738
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It was a user that was banned more than a year ago (or maybe even 2).

They still send abusive emails constantly, register accounts like that constantly, etc.

At least confirming it was the correct decision.
Now I want to know who.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:52 PM   #11739
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it’s not politically palatable but I think a broad based tax increase like raising the 20.5% bracket would be a good idea if not even the 15% bracket. The middle class needs to pay more in taxes if they want the level of services required. We can target tax relief and benefits to those in need with income based programs but base taxation needs to be higher to meaningfully impact revenues.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:59 PM   #11740
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I know it’s not politically palatable but I think a broad based tax increase like raising the 20.5% bracket would be a good idea if not even the 15% bracket. The middle class needs to pay more in taxes if they want the level of services required. We can target tax relief and benefits to those in need with income based programs but base taxation needs to be higher to meaningfully impact revenues.
Damn, you want the poorest Canadians to contribute even more in taxes as their struggles to live grow every year? That is harsh.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: