Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #11641
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I still think a Monahan/Reinhart deal makes sense.
If we can pull that off straight up it's a huge win.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:22 PM   #11642
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If we can pull that off straight up it's a huge win.
We potentially can, considering Reinhart only signed a 1 year deal, which imo means he may not want to stay with them any longer
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #11643
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am basing this off of almost nothing, but I think if the Flames acquired Reinhart, he would end up being underpaid here for a long time.

The Reinhart's aren't exactly the Tkachuks when it comes to contract negotiations.
Add the fact that the Flames are Sam's favorite team, and I don't think an extension would be difficult.

I know some posters here don't much like Reinhart as a player, but if Monahan is the price, I would do it.
He's a right-handed center who produces pretty consistently and I've heard great things about his character.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #11644
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted Reinhart and ROR for Backlund and Bennett a few years ago, when the Sabres didn’t want to pay ROR and Reinhart was struggling.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #11645
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Neal was the biggest mistake easily IMO. Someone didn’t do their homework and focussed only on his production and maybe size. No examination of either his off ice behaviour (which was not hard to find) or his game play. This story says to beware of him (albeit because it was thought he was seeking $7M):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-avoid-july-1/

I don’t recall what other RWs were available. In hindsight you could have rejigged with Bennett doing something different. The problem was that Lindholm filled the role too well.
"But after he reportedly turned down a lucrative offer from the Golden Knights for around $6.5 million per season"

"Neal isn’t about to become a bad player overnight, but for $7 million per season you want 30-goal James Neal and that player isn’t likely to appear too often in his 30s. Over the course of his next contract, Neal is more likely to be a 20-goal, 40-point winger, and you just don’t pay those guys $7 million."

This aged well lol

Though it does seem like the only reason they said beware is because of the 7M
Old 05-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #11646
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had harsh words about Reinhart before-I've called him soft, and slow. I'm not a fan. I would, however, trade Mony for him, as Mony is soft and slow anyway, but Reinhart is a touch younger, and seems to be improving every year (except this year). Reinhart can play RW, too. Buffalo wouldn't do it though, because they see what we see.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #11647
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've had harsh words about Reinhart before-I've called him soft, and slow. I'm not a fan. I would, however, trade Mony for him, as Mony is soft and slow anyway, but Reinhart is a touch younger, and seems to be improving every year (except this year). Reinhart can play RW, too. Buffalo wouldn't do it though, because they see what we see.
I dunno. History plays a big part, and Monahan’s past stats look a lot better. Look at how Neal cadged a big salary. I don’t know how their fancy stats compare either, and GMs are paying a lot more attention to them now.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #11648
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I'd be against it, but would this trade actually elevate the Flames to the next level though? I feel like any trade that just marginally improves the team might ultimately not be worth it. This team needs a big shake up and seriously drastic improvements. Treliving has done the whole minimal upgrade here, nominal upgrade there and it's taken the Flames to game 6 of the first round. We need something BIG or might as well just tear it all down.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #11649
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I worry that the injuries have done Monahan in and are making him less effective every year. Seems like by the end of every year he's coasting in on fumes or needs to be shut down.

He's got two years left at 6.38 million and he's looking like a guy who is not going to get to 20 goals or 50 points again right now. That contract might return 2 good years of value one slightly below and 4 bad ones if this trend keeps up. If you keep Monahan to play as a top center...you might have a shot at these next two lottery's.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #11650
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pinch points for trades or extensions are this year for Tkachuk and Gaudreau (the latter because of his strong NTC), next year for Gio and Monahan. Gio is a trade only of course, not an extension.

I suspect they bite the bullet and qualify Tkachuk. Gaudreau will come solely down to his own intentions and his asking price. If he can’t get it done before his NTC I can’t see how Treliving can risk going further down the road. If he can get it done, he should, and then move on to some other deals.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #11651
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Reinhart becomes a UFA this year. There's no need for Treliving to waste assets trading him before free agency if he doesn't have to.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #11652
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Reinhart becomes a UFA this year. There's no need for Treliving to waste assets trading him before free agency if he doesn't have to.
He is an RFA
Old 05-02-2021, 11:00 PM   #11653
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Not that I'd be against it, but would this trade actually elevate the Flames to the next level though? I feel like any trade that just marginally improves the team might ultimately not be worth it. This team needs a big shake up and seriously drastic improvements. Treliving has done the whole minimal upgrade here, nominal upgrade there and it's taken the Flames to game 6 of the first round. We need something BIG or might as well just tear it all down.
well this shouldn't be the only deal but if actually available I think you have to make this trade
Old 05-02-2021, 11:16 PM   #11654
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I dunno. History plays a big part, and Monahan’s past stats look a lot better. Look at how Neal cadged a big salary. I don’t know how their fancy stats compare either, and GMs are paying a lot more attention to them now.
Quote:
Yeah, I spoke a little too soon. Like I said, I'm no Reinhart fan, and I doubt that trade makes us better. Like the above, we need bigger upgrades in those positions, even if we have to do packages,etc.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:16 PM   #11655
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
well this shouldn't be the only deal but if actually available I think you have to make this trade
If there's a way to do Eichel for Monahan +++ then I'd be all for that.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #11656
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any Eichel trade would have to involve Tkachuk as a piece. No other Flames asset would be enough to be a centerpiece. It would be tricky to make the cap work, but it's possible. Buffalo has a lot of RFAs and UFAs that are due for raises.
Otherwise nothing else comes close. We might think Tkachuk's QO requirement is a problem, but I still think Buffalo would love the long term control. The Flames would still have to add a substantial amount. Maybe Tkachuk + Dube + 2021 1st.

I think huge trades like this are one of only two ways to escape perpetual mediocrity. The other being tanking.

Honestly, I think the Eichel route is more likely thank full-out tanking.
But even with Eichel, there would be a lot of ifs, ands, and buts.
It would really just be a hail mary.

At least it would make things exciting for a while.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #11657
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk + Monahan + 2021 1st

For

Eichel + Middlestat
Old 05-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #11658
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Any Eichel trade would have to involve Tkachuk as a piece. No other Flames asset would be enough to be a centerpiece. It would be tricky to make the cap work, but it's possible. Buffalo has a lot of RFAs and UFAs that are due for raises.
Otherwise nothing else comes close. We might think Tkachuk's QO requirement is a problem, but I still think Buffalo would love the long term control. The Flames would still have to add a substantial amount. Maybe Tkachuk + Dube + 2021 1st.

I think huge trades like this are one of only two ways to escape perpetual mediocrity. The other being tanking.

Honestly, I think the Eichel route is more likely thank full-out tanking.
But even with Eichel, there would be a lot of ifs, ands, and buts.
It would really just be a hail mary.

At least it would make things exciting for a while.
Young, fast, big, play-driving #1C? Grab him, and build out the lineup from there, even if it takes time. It's the most important position to fill, and also the hardest to fill. We got a coach, we got a good goalie-get our C, we've got some hope. We ain't winning anything without that C.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #11659
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Tkachuk + Monahan + 2021 1st

For

Eichel + Middlestat
In a heartbeat!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post: