Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #11641
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does everyone want Flames players traded especially the best players on the roster like Hamilton? Teams rarely win trades giving up the best player in the deal. Is nobody watching the playoffs and how the Jets are doing after missing the playoffs in consecutive seasons and not making any panic trades? Patience is key and I'm perfectly fine with a new head coach taking over the same roster that the last staff didn't get to play to its abilities. Way too many people think trades are the answer for everything.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #11642
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Since it's "Hamilton and Bennett" getting churned around the rumor mill at the moment, any of these ideas wet anybodies whistle around here?

Hamilton and Bennett for Zibanejad, Fast, 9th overall?
Hamilton and Bennett for Konecny, Sanheim, 14th overall?
Hamilton and Bennett for Mantha, Athanasiou, 6th overall?
Hamilton and Bennett for Schmaltz, 8th overall, 28-31st overall?
Although these trades seem to make sense from a value standpoint, I don't think they fit with what the direction the organization is taking.

I think the Flames, even after a disappointing season, still see themselves entering their window for contention. Trading a high value asset, Hamilton, for a collection of younger developing assests including a first, likely will not help the team this next year or the following.

If the Flames do trade Hamilton, I see it being a trade that helps them now. Jones for Johanson type trade.

Regarding Bennett, it has been speculated the Ducks had interest previously. If they offered the 23rd pick, would you do it?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #11643
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why does everyone want Flames players traded especially the best players on the roster like Hamilton?
Because several insiders, including the Flames brass itself if you read between the lines, seem to believe there are fundamental flaws in the makeup and chemistry of the team. That tweaking the third and fourth lines is not enough to fix what ails the team.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #11644
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A Hamilton trade I think will be a one for one. Maybe Hamilton for Stone.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #11645
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am against trading Hamilton, but I'd listen to some of the offers.

Ristolainen+reinhart+RoR for Bennett+hamilton+Kylington

Not a 1-1 but gives us lots to work with. Buffalo goes on to draft Dahlin and between him eichel Hamilton and middlestadt should be pretty well prepared for the future. We get a talented but defesively shoddy Finn to bring up with valimaki and bring a Reinhart back into the fold, along with acquiring another line driving forward.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #11646
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not want to trade Hamilton but would be willing to do:

Dougie Hamilton + Sam Bennett for Mark Stone + 4th Overall

Or

Hamilton + Bennett + 3rd 2020 for Nylander + Gardiner + 1st 2018 + Kapanen
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #11647
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would consider Hamilton for Mantha anthansiou and Detroit 1st as well.

Or Hamilton for domi, strome, coyotes 1st.

Or straight up for:

Marner
Point
Keller
Barzal
Players of that level.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #11648
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I am against trading Hamilton, but I'd listen to some of the offers.

Ristolainen+reinhart+RoR for Bennett+hamilton+Kylington

Not a 1-1 but gives us lots to work with. Buffalo goes on to draft Dahlin and between him eichel Hamilton and middlestadt should be pretty well prepared for the future. We get a talented but defesively shoddy Finn to bring up with valimaki and bring a Reinhart back into the fold, along with acquiring another line driving forward.
No chance Buffalo does this. You could take Ristolanen out of the deal & I still wouldn't do it from Buffalos perspective.

Keep in mind after ~250 games Bennett has yet to prove himself to be much more than a 30 point winger. It's disappointing to say, but if this is what he is, he is an easily replaceable part. Let's also not forget Kylington dropped from being a potential top 5 pick to 60 in his draft year. He has played one NHL game & is arguably the third defensive prospect in the Flames system.

For two big question marks and a legitimate no.1 D, you're asking for a 23 year old who is Buffalo's best D and looks like a future stud, one of the best two way C's in the league who is in his prime, and a player who is starting to actually look like a top 5 drafted player.

Your proposal should look like this:
Ristolanen-RoR-Reinhardt for Hamilton-Jankowski-Anderson
Old 05-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #11649
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why does everyone want Flames players traded especially the best players on the roster like Hamilton? Teams rarely win trades giving up the best player in the deal. Is nobody watching the playoffs and how the Jets are doing after missing the playoffs in consecutive seasons and not making any panic trades? Patience is key and I'm perfectly fine with a new head coach taking over the same roster that the last staff didn't get to play to its abilities. Way too many people think trades are the answer for everything.
trades arent everything but to compare the Flames to the Jets isnt accurate. that Jets roster is very impressive all the way through the lineup. they get good goaltending and they are an elite team. the flames get MVP goaltending for the 1st half of the year and they are still a fringe playoff team. Patience is the key but the flames talent and depth is not close to Winnipegs.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #11650
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I would consider Hamilton for Mantha anthansiou and Detroit 1st as well.

Or Hamilton for domi, strome, coyotes 1st.

Or straight up for:

Marner
Point
Keller
Barzal
Players of that level.
Keller Point and Barzal aren't going anywhere. As long as Mark Hunter is with the leafs, it is very unlikely Marner is either.

The Hamilton deal with Arizona is for OEL (signed to an extension). That opens up the right side for Brodie to play with Gio & you have OEL with Hamonic on your second pair.

Cant see Detroit trading their pick. With a couple key p,ayers getting closer to retirement (Zetterberg & Kronwall), they are likely looking to stock the cupboards.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #11651
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why did Hamilton want to leave Boston?

Bad city? Bad Coaching? Bad team Leadership? (Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand) Bad young players (Pasternak,Krug , Rielly Smith) Lack or opportunity?

If the Flames were to offer Tkachuk a 6x6 next season and he said no I will sign the same deal with another team, trade me, I would want to know why.

Boston likely wouldn't want him back.

Who ever trades for him will be taking on some risk.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #11652
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Although these trades seem to make sense from a value standpoint, I don't think they fit with what the direction the organization is taking.

I think the Flames, even after a disappointing season, still see themselves entering their window for contention. Trading a high value asset, Hamilton, for a collection of younger developing assests including a first, likely will not help the team this next year or the following.

If the Flames do trade Hamilton, I see it being a trade that helps them now. Jones for Johanson type trade.

Regarding Bennett, it has been speculated the Ducks had interest previously. If they offered the 23rd pick, would you do it?

My personal preference on Hamilton, in order:

1. Keep him
2. Trade him only for a massive over payment
3. Trade him in a one for one deal for an elite forward, preferably center and/or right hand shot
4. Trade him for a multi-asset return like the ones I listed (only if he is asking to be traded)

As for your question, I'd rather just keep Bennett and see how he does with the new coaching staff. I especially wouldn't want to deal him to Anaheim, as with our luck he'd flourish there and just be another Anaheim Duck thorn in our sides and a constant reminder that we gave up on him.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #11653
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are due... trade Gilmour for garbage, didnt work out. Trade Phaneuf for garbage, didnt work out.

Maybe this time trading Hamilton will return a stud! Lol.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #11654
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

F no. Ya, let's trade Sam Bennett to Anaheim for a late 1st, you know exactly how that would play out. Bennett breaks out and becomes a beast that haunts us every year while the guy we grab at 23 becomes Poirier.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #11655
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can just imagine a Steel-Bennett-Rakell line terrorizing us for a decade while we pat Treliving on the back for acquiring a draft pick that we should have had anyways if he hadn't coughed it up for a #4 Dman.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #11656
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Because several insiders, including the Flames brass itself if you read between the lines, seem to believe there are fundamental flaws in the makeup and chemistry of the team. That tweaking the third and fourth lines is not enough to fix what ails the team.
But trading Hamilton, you are creating another flaw. In a year of two, people are going to be saying wish we have a 6'5" defenseman who can skate the puck up ice and score like Dougie.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #11657
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Hamilton is the piece the Flames should consider trading but most of that reasoning is due to his value and he is the key to adding another elite forward that fits the age range of the current core. A Stone or Nylander/Marner or Tkachuk+ return is what I want.

There is something about Dougie. I can’t put my finger exactly on it but I just don’t like the cut of his jib. I think there is all kinds of truth to his demand to have the Flames acquire his brother and part of the reason he forced a trade out of Boston.

Skill wise he has elite offensive talent and I could see him putting up 60-70pts in his prime. He has never been a 25min Dman and still faced weaker competition than Brodie or Hamonic this season. He doesn’t penalty kill very often and seems to lack defensive intensity.

I think he is an important part of the team and a key asset for the Flames. If the return matches the value then I think the flames should move him. If the offers are not sufficient then the team easily keeps him.

If Calgary could get Nylander and the Leafs first for Dougie that trade does a lot for both teams. Flames get the 22 year old right shot forward and draft pick they need. Leafs get their young right shot Dman.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #11658
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
But trading Hamilton, you are creating another flaw. In a year of two, people are going to be saying wish we have a 6'5" defenseman who can skate the puck up ice and score like Dougie.
Does him being 6'5" have any bearing on his quality of play? It implies that he uses his size to score goals, check or clear out in front of the net.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #11659
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Between 2014-2016 Flames fans talked about Brodie as the teams best Dman and a potential Norris contender. The Flames hire Gulutzan and move him to the left side and change the style of play and now some people want to ship him out of town.

I would bank on a new coach and having a NHL ready right shot prospect in Andersson (also offensively gifted) to fill those spots. Moving Hamilton also could make signing Fox easier next summer.

I bank on Andersson, Valimaki, or Kylington coming in and making an impact next year over Mangiapane, Dube, or Foo.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #11660
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Does him being 6'5" have any bearing on his quality of play? It implies that he uses his size to score goals, check or clear out in front of the net.
His wingspan is certainly an advantage.
I get that you want him to be a more physical player but he's not that and isn't going to be.
But being tall and having that reach is still a huge advantage and positive attribute.
Perhaps you should start an all purpose I hate Doug Hamilton thread so we can concentrate all this stuff in one place.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread