Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #11601
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You know what grinds my gears, my parents won’t drive 2.5 hours to visit me and their only grandchild. Like, ever. And not only that, I get heaps of guilt for not visiting them. I’m constantly calling them, FaceTime’ing them, sending photos and videos, notes, invites, plans for fun things to do if they came to visits, all of it. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And they complain to their friends that I don’t come to visit. It’s infinitely easier for them to travel than I with my kid who can’t sleep in a car, and our dog.

####s insane and has resulted in me not even understanding my own reality for the last 5 months. Thank god for my wife to help give me clarity so I’m not lost in my own head about it constantly. This is just a nonsense rant I had to type out.
I’ve successfully come to terms with always being disappointed by my family, friends and colleagues that I can just not give a curse at all anymore.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 03:51 PM   #11602
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Big Rock is local and good, who cares about the semantics about the rest. They’ve been disrespected my entire drinking life in Calgary.

The Big Rock Costco pack used to be our go to camping beer, but they dropped the Honey Brown (wife’s favourite) this year for some other beer I’ve never heard off, Nebula, meant no more Big Rock. The Cowboy Ale was already the “vanilla in the box of Neapolitan” flavour.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 03:55 PM   #11603
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
The Big Rock Costco pack used to be our go to camping beer, but they dropped the Honey Brown (wife’s favourite) this year for some other beer I’ve never heard off, Nebula, meant no more Big Rock. The Cowboy Ale was already the “vanilla in the box of Neapolitan” flavour.
I made the mistake of getting one of their variety packs.

Trad is great, grasshopper is solid, the rest I really did not like
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:15 PM   #11604
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Nebula is the worst "hazy" I've ever had
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #11605
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know what grinds my gears, my parents won’t drive 2.5 hours to visit me and their only grandchild. Like, ever. And not only that, I get heaps of guilt for not visiting them. I’m constantly calling them, FaceTime’ing them, sending photos and videos, notes, invites, plans for fun things to do if they came to visits, all of it. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And they complain to their friends that I don’t come to visit. It’s infinitely easier for them to travel than I with my kid who can’t sleep in a car, and our dog.

####s insane and has resulted in me not even understanding my own reality for the last 5 months. Thank god for my wife to help give me clarity so I’m not lost in my own head about it constantly. This is just a nonsense rant I had to type out.
My in-laws live in town and expect us to drop everything for them to do their bidding at times. Uh, jobs, kids, activities, it isn’t that simple. I feel your pain.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 09:49 PM   #11606
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Most of my family has been like this my whole life. Always get told "Oh you have to come see us more!" when most of them have literally never been to my house once
I tell you what, this is a blessing. I love my family but I much prefer calling the shots over when we arrive and leave.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:28 PM   #11607
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been nearly a month since Halloween and the neighbors across the street still have pumpkins rotting away on their steps.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:05 AM   #11608
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did you put them there?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #11609
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought quail eggs at Costco cause I thought it would be kind of interesting and they weren’t very expensive, but after cracking the first 3, the novelty has certainly worn itself out. Miniature fried eggs are freaking cute though. Maybe I’ll just hard boil the rest.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #11610
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had those sitting out at a party. A friend grabbed one and popped it in his mouth, thinking it was a candy egg. The crunching sound followed by the realization it wasn't candy, while having a mouth full of shell and egg with no convenient place to eject it was pretty hilarious.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 01:50 PM   #11611
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Disney planning really grinds my gears. What a racket they've got going on there. The money spent is one thing but the complex planning involved is incredibly stressful. Do we have enough time to see and ride all the attractions we want? How early do we get to the park? Do we get Genie+ for every day? How many Lightning passes do we need? Do we get regular parking or Preferred parking? Do we park hop or do 1 day per park? It costs HOW MUCH? Racket. I'm such a sucker. Then you add in a couple of days for Universal Studios.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #11612
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Disney planning really grinds my gears. What a racket they've got going on there. The money spent is one thing but the complex planning involved is incredibly stressful. Do we have enough time to see and ride all the attractions we want? How early do we get to the park? Do we get Genie+ for every day? How many Lightning passes do we need? Do we get regular parking or Preferred parking? Do we park hop or do 1 day per park? It costs HOW MUCH? Racket. I'm such a sucker. Then you add in a couple of days for Universal Studios.
Disney planning is definitely awful and stressful but you really gotta put together a good plan to get the most out of the experience (unless you have big $$$ and are willing to spend a week there and take your time.)

The best thing you can do is watch a lot of the YouTube videos from the significant creators like Disney Food Guide and others. They are always on top of all the changes in the parks and provide great insight into how to plan. It is especially helpful to watch the videos regularly about news and changes as it relates to Genie+ because that system seems to change every month or two.

If you are looking for answers and are going to Disney World I would not recommend park hopping as it is not worth it. If you can, stay at a Disney resort and take advantage of the early entry and transportation (solves your parking question.) Use the early entry to hit the one ride that usually has the longest wait like Mine Train in Magic Kingdom. For Magic Kingdom plan to spend the whole day if you want to see and do most of it in one day (we did 8am to 10pm). If you have time for multiple days you can split things up.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #11613
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
You’re the Dumbo
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 06:21 PM   #11614
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t need to overcomplicate Disneyland. Just go and have fun.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 06:43 PM   #11615
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Do people really need to travel thousands of kms to see a cartoon mouse?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:44 PM   #11616
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Do people really need to travel thousands of kms to see a cartoon mouse?
Yeah that’s literally the only reason people go to Disneyland.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:59 PM   #11617
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's whack. Early October Thanksgiving is perfect.

I worked for an American multi-national and their Thanksgiving was like a holiday up here since most of the US management took the week off. Staggered Thanksgivings are brilliant.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:01 PM   #11618
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I think that's a stretch. I'd say less than 10% of the population care about world Juniors and who even goes boxing day shopping anymore?

Boxing Day is stay in pyjamas and eat left overs and chocolate all day in our family.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 07:02 PM   #11619
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah that’s literally the only reason people go to Disneyland.
You’re right. The Nixon Library and Segerstrom Center for the Arts are both close by. Kids love them.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:11 PM   #11620
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I worked for an American multi-national and their Thanksgiving was like a holiday up here since most of the US management took the week off. Staggered Thanksgivings are brilliant.
I worked for one too and it was mixed. We had weekly and monthly meetings/conference calls. If they happened to fall on a Canadian holiday that was not observed in the US that was too bad for us, we were still expected to call in. And numerous times if it fell on July 4 it was not unusual to be shifted to a day we were off for July 1 so we were expected to call in for that one too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote