Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #1141
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really disagree with the notion of removing the headphone jack, but what is the point of continually going thinner when everybody puts the phone in a bulky Otter case. Seems like minimal win, unless they can make a stronger case for the phone to eliminate the need for extra protection.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #1142
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah. I think the chips are common, but Paypass or Tap to Pay transactions were unheard of. I felt like Marty in Back to the Future when I was in California. Holding my card out ready to tap, and the guy is like, "uh, you can just slide it now, thanks."
I found on my last trip to the US quite a few places had tap enabled POS but their staff didn't know it. So many minds were blown when I tapped to pay, and I was asked several times what I just did, and was it black magic.

I've never felt so cool.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #1143
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I care about is that they don't get rid of the iPod. I know people love streaming etc. I don't. I like my music available no matter what. All of it. My only request.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #1144
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who at Apple designed, and then approved this monstrosity?

Apple's obsession to be thinnest has always been a bit odd, but it's especially weird when they're the ones releasing huge nasty battery packs.

Only 130 bucks!

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 12-09-2015 at 01:09 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #1145
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Who at Apple designed, and then approved this monstrosity?

Apple's obsession to be thinnest has always been a bit odd, but it's especially weird when they're the ones releasing huge nasty battery packs.

Only 130 bucks!
Perhaps you can help me out with this. What makes it a monstrosity? I see all this anger towards it but I don't see how having it bubble in the middle is a whole lot different than having it be that thick from edge to edge. I can't think of a use case where the shape of it negatively impacts anything.

The video is odd to me. He rages on the design being ugly then he brings out his alternates and he thinks they're better looking? Also, I've had the white case using the same material, and it's as clean as the day I bought it. I don't really understand why, but I would have expected it to be way worse.

It's certainly more expensive that alternatives, but then it also has the lightning connector built in along with a dedicated display for the case battery. That won't be worth it to everybody, but for plenty of people it will be (which is basically Apple to a T).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #1146
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

When I first saw that case I couldn't believe Apple would release something with a big bulge like that. But I see what they tried to do by making it a soft case (like the regular ones) with a battery. There's no way to do that and make it sleek.

It's great that it uses a lightning cable, and has the charge level on the notification screen. I wish Mophie would do that too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #1147
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Perhaps you can help me out with this. What makes it a monstrosity? I see all this anger towards it but I don't see how having it bubble in the middle is a whole lot different than having it be that thick from edge to edge. I can't think of a use case where the shape of it negatively impacts anything.

The video is odd to me. He rages on the design being ugly then he brings out his alternates and he thinks they're better looking? Also, I've had the white case using the same material, and it's as clean as the day I bought it. I don't really understand why, but I would have expected it to be way worse.

It's certainly more expensive that alternatives, but then it also has the lightning connector built in along with a dedicated display for the case battery. That won't be worth it to everybody, but for plenty of people it will be (which is basically Apple to a T).
Just think it's ugly as sin. Yeah it's a battery pack, but standards. I get frustrated with cell phone manufactures making phones slimmer and slimmer, especially apple, then seeing this as their alternative to longer battery life. Just make "the thinnest iphone never" not so thin.

The video is odd, I added it just as a bit of a primer if anyone hadn't seen the case yet. The unbox therapy guy is kind of a ######.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #1148
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Just think it's ugly as sin. Yeah it's a battery pack, but standards. I get frustrated with cell phone manufactures making phones slimmer and slimmer, especially apple, then seeing this as their alternative to longer battery life. Just make "the thinnest iphone never" not so thin.
Plus phones these days are expensive and fragile and I see many people putting ugly and giant cases on them. My gf has a Samsung S5 with an Otterbox case and the thing is a brick.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #1149
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Plus phones these days are expensive and fragile and I see many people putting ugly and giant cases on them. My gf has a Samsung S5 with an Otterbox case and the thing is a brick.
That's on her, though. No way your average chick needs an Otterbox. Any slimline case would work fine, I'm sure.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #1150
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the case looks great, and would feel even better in your hand.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #1151
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I think the case looks great.
haha you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #1152
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I think the case looks great, and would feel even better in your hand.
lol
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #1153
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've always said I'd be fine if the phone was twice as thick and had another battery in it. In a way this is exactly what I've wanted. I don't think it's beautiful or hideous... I'm very neutral on the look of it. I do love the feel of that material, so that's attractive.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #1154
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to do it...
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #1155
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

More importantly then a iPhone case looks like we are getting a 6c and a new apple watch in march. I am excited for the 6c as I love the smaller 4" screen phones.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple...ne-6c-3599868/
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #1156
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the process of upgrading my old MBP and getting a new iPad. Any must have apps CP can recommend nowadays for either a MBP or an iPad?
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #1157
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Bump for WWDC 2016. Keynote on now.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #1158
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, can't stream it on my PC. Go figure.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #1159
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Excited to see what they have for tvOS. The new Apple TV is amazing.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #1160
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

OSX is now macOS

iOS 10 (shocking)

Cmon, I wanna see the new Macbook Pros!

Or (I know in my wildest dreams) a desktop between a Mac mini and a Mac Pro that isn't an all-in-one.