Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #11461
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Of the group I would target Vilardi as he checks many of the boxes for a top line centre and is likely blocked long term
No idea what it would take
So would I. Unless you can draft one, the best way to get a #1 centre is before he is a #1 centre.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #11462
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Of the group I would target Vilardi as he checks many of the boxes for a top line centre and is likely blocked long term
No idea what it would take
Wonder if there’s a fit in LA for Gaudreau. Not too sure what a deal might look like involving the two players, but seems like LA might have interest in adding a scoring winger. LA being what it is, a desirable market, might also have a good shot at extending JG.

Just spitballing here...
Old 04-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #11463
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Wonder if there’s a fit in LA for Gaudreau. Not too sure what a deal might look like involving the two players, but seems like LA might have interest in adding a scoring winger. LA being what it is, a desirable market, might also have a good shot at extending JG.

Just spitballing here...

Johnny certainly has enough trade value to get Vilardi, just depends if LA has any interest. Really doesn’t fit their time table, but who knows, they may have some interest in accelerating the rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #11464
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Johnny certainly has enough trade value to get Vilardi, just depends if LA has any interest. Really doesn’t fit their time table, but who knows, they may have some interest in accelerating the rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I guess another thing worth mentioning is, listening to Versteeg earlier this week, he is of the mindset that the Flames should look to adding a C when they trade JG and move Lindholm back to the wing. It left me wondering, who’s going to give up a C for JG and how good a C can you expect?
Old 04-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #11465
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I guess another thing worth mentioning is, listening to Versteeg earlier this week, he is of the mindset that the Flames should look to adding a C when they trade JG and move Lindholm back to the wing. It left me wondering, who’s going to give up a C for JG and how good a C can you expect?
A playoff team with center depth wanting to add offense to their top line? The tricky part is how young/experienced is the prospect.

Last edited by Skyceman; 04-24-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #11466
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nolan Patrick.

I have a feeling the package will include Patrick at the end of the day
Old 04-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #11467
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So would I. Unless you can draft one, the best way to get a #1 centre is before he is a #1 centre.
Just for shiggles, possible deals

Johnny for Dustin Borwn (for cap purposes)+Gabe+Akil Thomas

Doubtful though that the Kings would be interested as it doesn't really fit their contending window. LA does like stars though and Johnny would be a highly marketable player in California.

So if it's not a Johnny deal it's hard to figure out a fit. It seems like the Kings are stacked more at forwards and could use help on the blueline, so perhaps a deal structured around Hanifin, Valimaki or Rasmus.

I'm not someone looking to trade Hanifin, but if you can get a future #1 centre I would consider it. Would want something more back than just Gabe though. Probably similar to my suggested Johnny deal above.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #11468
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Nolan Patrick.

I have a feeling the package will include Patrick at the end of the day
I have not watched a lot of Philly this year at all but his stat line is awful (4 goals and 8 points). Are there any hints in his play that he can actually be a top 6 centre? At this point I would have to think his value is not much different than Sam's was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #11469
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just for shiggles, possible deals

Johnny for Dustin Borwn (for cap purposes)+Gabe+Akil Thomas

Doubtful though that the Kings would be interested as it doesn't really fit their contending window. LA does like stars though and Johnny would be a highly marketable player in California.

So if it's not a Johnny deal it's hard to figure out a fit. It seems like the Kings are stacked more at forwards and could use help on the blueline, so perhaps a deal structured around Hanifin, Valimaki or Rasmus.

I'm not someone looking to trade Hanifin, but if you can get a future #1 centre I would consider it. Would want something more back than just Gabe though. Probably similar to my suggested Johnny deal above.
LA definitely makes sense. They do not really need to add a cap dump though, they have 20 million in cap space for next year and nobody to really sign. They are one of the few teams that could pick up a Hanifin and Gaudreau package and not send any salary the other way if they wanted. But they are a logical target for the Flames, a bunch of prospects and a bunch of cap space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #11470
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think LA ends up trading for Eichel.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #11471
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I admit I didn't look at their actual space, just accustomed to looking at teams that don't have the room.
So yeah in that case you can take Brown out.
They have a bunch of appealing prospects but I think you can assume Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev are all of the table.
Maybe you can get a Bjornfot, Fagemo, Kupari, Anderson-Dolan or Thomas.
Or accumulate picks.

Gabe would be the main piece but I think you would want something else added give he's got some risk attached based on injury history and performance to this point. But the package of tools are appealing. The right combo of size and skill to potentially develop into a #1 pivot. Not going to happen long-term in LA with what they have coming in the pipeline though.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #11472
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
I have not watched a lot of Philly this year at all but his stat line is awful (4 goals and 8 points). Are there any hints in his play that he can actually be a top 6 centre? At this point I would have to think his value is not much different than Sam's was.
Phillys season has gone very much like the Flames and has been equally disappointing, albeit for different reasons.

Once again goaltending is a massive issue for them.

You know its bad when Elliott is once again your defacto #1.....Hart has been dreadful when he could play.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #11473
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's why there seems to be a fit. Both franchises have had "anything that can go wrong will" types of seasons. And both are at a stage where they were expecting to compete.

I would do a Konecky for Johnny deal. Not because it makes the Flames better per say but it resets the clock on the asset in a favorable way.

And if you can get say a Bobby Brink added - even better.

I don't know what's happened to Hart. I would have bet money on him being one of the more consistent number 1 tenders in the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #11474
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
A playoff team with center depth wanting to add offense to their top line? The tricky part is how young/experienced is the prospect.
To me, this is why LA makes sense. It’s looking like they’re going to want to move a young C to fill holes elsewhere. JG might make sense for them as he would definitely slot in as their top line LW, at least 2LW, and he is at an age that would still work well with their group.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #11475
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I still think LA ends up trading for Eichel.
Would not be a surprise.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #11476
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t see trading Johnny for a reclamation project. He’s either going for a very promising prospect or a high draft pick or both. Or else something like Konecny along with a draft pick (probably conditional).
Old 04-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #11477
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I’m not in love with the idea, but I could absolutely see a world where Patrick is part of the return for Johnny.

Philly was rumoured to be in trade talks regarding Patrick.

Friedman said Philly and Calgary were both teams who may have laid some groundwork for deals that will get done later (although it wasn’t necessarily about Philly and Calgary doing a deal together).

1st round pick + Gostisbehere + Patrick for Gaudreau + Kylington + depth pick? A deal that *may* work out for both sides? I definitely don’t feel the warm and fuzzies when it comes to Patrick though. His underlying numbers are a pile of “meh”.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #11478
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Dream Big, Princess.
Guess you’d prefer another decade of mediocrity then? Monahan and Backlund was the best we could do and it got the Flames to the heights of “bubble playoff team.” Until the Flames find themselves another Gilmour-Nieuwendyk combo to build around, this team will stay in perpetual mediocrity like they always have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #11479
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take Patrick on a flyer. I know people are sketchy about him and that's fair, but he still ticks all the boxes on the bio line for this team. And truth be told, we can afford some reclamation projects of our own. There little risk involved in it IMO. He's going to be cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, it's no loss, even at a roster spot. If he does come around (which I think he rebounds just fine, a year away and playing in a covid season without much time to get back up to speed.).
Then again he may flub, but still, there zero risk in that. Especially since his QO is still less than a million a year.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #11480
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd take Patrick on a flyer. I know people are sketchy about him and that's fair, but he still ticks all the boxes on the bio line for this team. And truth be told, we can afford some reclamation projects of our own. There little risk involved in it IMO. He's going to be cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, it's no loss, even at a roster spot. If he does come around (which I think he rebounds just fine, a year away and playing in a covid season without much time to get back up to speed.).
Then again he may flub, but still, there zero risk in that. Especially since his QO is still less than a million a year.
Sure, but he’s certainly not a key ingredient of a Gaudreau trade.

We have had our share of reclamation projects, though - Lazar, Colborne, Shinkaruk, etc. They just haven’t panned out (like probably 90% of such guys).
Closed Thread