Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #11381
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way they should be taking Tarasenko back is if another teams wants him and the Flames retain salary on him and trade him for a big return.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #11382
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Listening to Sutter this morning on 960 he says the difference in the North division is teams with an elite center (Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg and he included Vancouver in there) vs teams that don't have an elite C.

There can't be many elite guys available (Is Eichel still on the block? Was he ever?). I think if you can trade for an elite C then you do it no matter what the cost. Tkachuk and everyone else should be in the conversation.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #11383
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Figured. I just want to see how Gaudreau would do with an actual sniper on the team. And getting Kyrou (or Thomas) would be a nice addition too.
I agree those young pieces would be nice additions but we would also be sending out Valimaki who could still develop into a top 3 Dman.

I don’t see how a Sutter coached team would pick Gaudreau over Tkachuk
Old 04-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #11384
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The only way they should be taking Tarasenko back is if another teams wants him and the Flames retain salary on him and trade him for a big return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Tkachuk and Valimaki for Kyrou and Tarasenko?

Probably will get flamed but Tarasenko’s value is not even close to what it used to be a couple years ago.
This is further complicated by Tarasenko's NTC- not sure how he would feel about waiving it for a blind third trade, or for that matter to come to Calgary at all. Might have to work out the three way while considering his wishes- which could tank his value- but let's look past that for now.

Kyrou is a huge prize IMO. If we could then flip Tarasenko for a very good future package we could come out on top. Question is, who would be interested in Tarasenko at 50%...

Has to be someone that is competing in the next 2 year window, is ok with Tarasenko missing a bit of time likely to injury, and could use a power leftwinger. Bonus if it can be a destination that Tarasenko would consent to.

Maybe Florida? We could get Denisenko, who could be a younger tarasenko.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #11385
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Listening to Sutter this morning on 960 he says the difference in the North division is teams with an elite center (Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg and he included Vancouver in there) vs teams that don't have an elite C.

There can't be many elite guys available (Is Eichel still on the block? Was he ever?). I think if you can trade for an elite C then you do it no matter what the cost. Tkachuk and everyone else should be in the conversation.
It was a good interview. Sutter made an interesting comment in that he feels the team wasn't prepared to play the same teams over and over. Made the comment that it's easy to go out of conference, sneak into a building and come out with a win but playing the same team night after night is more difficult. Kind of makes sense as this team has had decent regular season success only to go out easily in the playoffs.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #11386
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This is further complicated by Tarasenko's NTC- not sure how he would feel about waiving it for a blind third trade, or for that matter to come to Calgary at all. Might have to work out the three way while considering his wishes- which could tank his value- but let's look past that for now.

Kyrou is a huge prize IMO. If we could then flip Tarasenko for a very good future package we could come out on top. Question is, who would be interested in Tarasenko at 50%...

Has to be someone that is competing in the next 2 year window, is ok with Tarasenko missing a bit of time likely to injury, and could use a power leftwinger. Bonus if it can be a destination that Tarasenko would consent to.

Maybe Florida? We could get Denisenko, who could be a younger tarasenko.
Tkachuk+Valimaki+2 year dead cap of $3.75M
For
Kyrou + 3rd team assets for Tarasenko 50% retained

I don’t see a scenario where that comes out looking like a win for the Flames unless they are getting top top prospects from that third team. It is a huge loss trade for the Flames and keeps the Blues window open indefinitely. Great job by Armstrong
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #11387
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It was a good interview. Sutter made an interesting comment in that he feels the team wasn't prepared to play the same teams over and over. Made the comment that it's easy to go out of conference, sneak into a building and come out with a win but playing the same team night after night is more difficult. Kind of makes sense as this team has had decent regular season success only to go out easily in the playoffs.
This just tells me the core is mentally weak and fragile
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #11388
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Agreed. The hiring of Sutter may not be bringing results on the ice but perhaps more importantly its confirming what is required for the GM to know about this team and which players are worth investing in and which need to go.

Basically what a lot of people were wanting. Determining if it was coaching or personnel and if it was the latter which ones were the issue?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #11389
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
For

I don’t see a scenario where that comes out looking like a win for the Flames unless they are getting top top prospects from that third team. It is a huge loss trade for the Flames and keeps the Blues window open indefinitely. Great job by Armstrong
It would be something like

Tkachuk+Valimaki + 3.75 x 2

for

Kyrou+Denisenko+Tippett+Fla 1st 2021 or 22

I think I would also ask for a 2nd or something from St. Louis in the original package, and I think they would add it.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #11390
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Agreed. The hiring of Sutter may not be bringing results on the ice but perhaps more importantly its confirming what is required for the GM to know about this team and which players are worth investing in and which need to go.

Basically what a lot of people were wanting. Determining if it was coaching or personnel and if it was the latter which ones were the issue?
Absolutely agree.

I am more comfortable than ever making massive roster changes because the team finally has a legit bench boss with a pedigree of winning. No longer questioning if this is horrible coaching or just a bad mix of players/personalities.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #11391
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on Sutter’s comments this morning on 960, Sutter will advocate for the team to trade wingers for centres and for the team to trade for players that improve the team’s shooting and speed.

You know who would check all those boxes? Jack Eichel.

But I don’t think the Flames can get him because I don’t think Eichel will want to play in CGY, and I think other teams will easily outbid CGY.

However, I think it would take Tkachuk + Lindholm + 2021 1st. A Sabres’ writer said he would probably say no to that in a recent Hailey Salvian article for The Athletic, so you might have to add. But around the draft that 1st round pick might seem more tantalizing to Buffalo.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #11392
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It would be something like

Tkachuk+Valimaki + 3.75 x 2

for

Kyrou+Denisenko+Tippett+Fla 1st 2021 or 22

I think I would also ask for a 2nd or something from St. Louis in the original package, and I think they would add it.
To me giving up arguably the best 2 players in the deal who are 23 and 22 and eating a fat contract makes no sense. I don’t know Denisenko though so maybe I am off there but it needs more especially when we give up the best player who is still only 23
Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #11393
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Based on Sutter’s comments this morning on 960, Sutter will advocate for the team to trade wingers for centres and for the team to trade for players that improve the team’s shooting and speed.

But I don’t think the Flames can get him because I don’t think Eichel will want to play in CGY, and I think other teams will easily outbid CGY.

However, I think it would take Tkachuk + Lindholm + 2021 1st. A Sabres’ writer said he would probably say no to that in a recent Hailey Salvian article for The Athletic, so you might have to add. But around the draft that 1st round pick might seem more tantalizing to Buffalo.

You simply can’t make a Tkachuk+Lindholm+top 10 pick for Eichel it would be a monumental flop for the Flames. This team can’t do that and come back with Gaudreau, Monahan, Gio and think adding Eichel (who has been a loser though his first 6 years) is going to turn this team around.

If this team comes back to compete next year I think Lindholm is absolutely still here and Tkachuk as well (unless he requests a move)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #11394
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of get why we might shop Tkachuk (contract status, qualifying offer then UFA) but why the hell are we giving up on Valimaki and selling low on him already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #11395
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Getting Eichel is pointless. This team has too many holes and not enough prospects.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #11396
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel has no kind of trade protection, so it doesn't really matter where he wants to play. Also, anything has to be better than playing for the Sabres right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #11397
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
For

I know some people think we should rebuild but I think they need to face the fact that is not happening. This team has long missed a RW that can score at will and you want to flip him and retain on him to boot? Then you add in a core future piece of our D as well. Those 3rd team assets better be mind boggling good.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #11398
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think we needed a Sutter interview to tell us players with speed who can shoot are important Or that centers are needed over wingers.

So we need more centers who are good, but really don't have a lot to trade for them as we dont really have great wing depth.

We just need more talent as too many guys didnt turn out to be what we needed.

I honestly dont see how to re-tool this team into a contender.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #11399
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I don't think we needed a Sutter interview to tell us players with speed who can shoot are important Or that centers are needed over wingers.

So we need more centers who are good, but really don't have a lot to trade for them as we dont really have great wing depth.

We just need more talent as too many guys didnt turn out to be what we needed.

I honestly dont see how to re-tool this team into a contender.
The only way I see it is with massive bounce backs from key players and full team commitment to play the Sutter style with no one deviating from that.

If Markstrom is able to have a big bounce back and this team plays a committed style.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #11400
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I kind of get why we might shop Tkachuk (contract status, qualifying offer then UFA) but why the hell are we giving up on Valimaki and selling low on him already.
I don't think it's a matter of selling low, but rather an acknowledgement that he actually carries trade value.

If the flames are trying to stay competitive, moving valimaki, dude, mangiapane, Andersson, is not an indictment on the player, it's an attempt to augment the core trading parts (gaudreau/monahan/tkachuk/etc) to bring in equal or greater value.

ie. Gaudreau is not getting you an immediate top6 C back in a trade. But adding another young asset like the ones mentioned above might.

I personally do NOT agree with the approach whatsoever (hopeless cycle of fail/retool/fail/retool). This organization has tried this path for 3 decades now. It is inevitable that this roster is best suited to be carved up and moved into rebuilding mode. I realize it's not the best time to try to maximize on trades, but delaying the inevitable does more harm than good in my opinion.

I'm fed up with this team and organization. It's hard to cheer for any part of the team. I'm at the point, where I'm basically cheering for losses until rebuilding is the only path the org can take.
Closed Thread