Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2023, 11:54 PM   #1121
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If you’re a Flames fan you’re doing it wrong. If you’re an Oilers fan, you’re wrong.
I will come clean and confirm myself as an Oilers fan. I am one who thinks they are one of the worst managed franchises around and were horribly over hyped before the season as all the flaws still existed. I also thought after their start they had zero shot at the playoffs. Now I think they have a small shot but there is basically 0 room for error, and I can’t see the current roster being more than a round2/3 exit.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #1122
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bid you good day sir.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2023, 11:06 AM   #1123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
I will come clean and confirm myself as an Oilers fan. I am one who thinks they are one of the worst managed franchises around and were horribly over hyped before the season as all the flaws still existed. I also thought after their start they had zero shot at the playoffs. Now I think they have a small shot but there is basically 0 room for error, and I can’t see the current roster being more than a round2/3 exit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2023, 01:10 PM   #1124
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers came get over the hump until they trade a 1st for d rpthp.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:17 PM   #1125
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting story mentioned in the second period of the Canada / Germany world junior game about how the Oilers refused to release Draisatl to play in the tournament for Germany back in the day. Then in a typical Oiler ######bag move the Oilers weren't even using him in their lineup and sent him back to his junior team the day that Germany had to play a relegation game.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:33 AM   #1126
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Happy E=NG New Year everyone!
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #1127
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Good, anybody else?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 12:13 PM   #1128
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

In an OOT thread OldSam complained about favorable B2B scheduling for the Greasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
The next Oilers B2B is late February. Wild at Oilers and Flames at Oilers. My God, the breaks that team gets.
Geez...not just a long way between B2Bs, but, a B2B with no travel!

Let's compare with my guys B2Bs this year:
10/10-11 @Pitt/@Bos 11/4-5 Fla/NJ 11/18-19 @Nash/Buff 12/2-3 @Win/@Minn 12/9-10 StL/Wash 12/22-23 MTL/@StL 1/16-17 SJ/@Buff 1/24-25 @Sea/@EDM 3/4-5 @COL/@AZ 3/9-10 @Wash/AZ 4/6-7 DAL/MINN

For my guys, the B2Bs involve either travel, very good teams, or rivals, often combinations of those.

For the Oil, no B2Bs in Oct or Nov, and none until 12/30-31 @LA/@Anaheim (which means no travel), then no B2Bs in Jan or Feb until 2/23-24 Min/Cgy, and finally a travel B2B on 3/2-3 @Seat/Pitt 3/9-10 @Buff/@Pitt 3/23-24 @Tor/@OTT 4/5-6 finally sees travel and rivals with @COL/Cgy then a couple of cupcakes at home on 4/12-13 Ariz/Van, and there season wraps with a B2B on the road 4/17-18 @AZ/@COL.

That's 11 B2Bs for the 'Hawks, many involving travel, and only 8 B2Bs, with very few involving significant travel for Edmonton.

I can't help but feel that OldSam has a point.

Last edited by thefoss1957; 01-01-2024 at 12:15 PM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 12:35 PM   #1129
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are they getting B2Bs at home? Isn't that pretty uncommon generally?

Meanwhile the Flames are traveling across the continental US and playing div leaders back go back.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:37 PM   #1130
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care how many bottom feeders, teams on the 2nd half of back-to-backs, or backup/3rd string goalies the Oilers beat, or how many times the refs feed them timely McPPs that get them back into games they should be out of. I still predict they won't make the playoffs.

And if they keep getting breaks and somehow make the dance, thankfully it'll be a waste of 8 days as they'll end up having to play Colorado, Vegas, Dallas, or even the Canucks who completely own them this year.

Edmonton is no good.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:28 AM   #1131
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBergYYC View Post
Since being pulled halfway through a game on December 16 after allowing 4 goals on 17 shots, the Bakersfield Condors have not allowed Jack Campbell to play another minute. The backup Rodrigue has made the last 5 starts, putting up excellent numbers. The Oilers broke Campbell so badly he can no longer even function as an AHL goaltender. I smell a buyout this offseason...
Campbell was broken in the second half of his last season with the Leafs. I remember he was lights out in the first half and then the wheels fell off.

I couldn’t believe it when the Oilers signed him.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:03 AM   #1132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Campbell was broken in the second half of his last season with the Leafs. I remember he was lights out in the first half and then the wheels fell off.

I couldn’t believe it when the Oilers signed him.
Lord knows I can...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-02-2024, 02:28 AM   #1133
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs.

That should do it.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:45 AM   #1134
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs, Oilers will make the playoffs.

That should do it.
I think it should be noted that it only takes 3 mentions of Ranch Dressing to conjure Springs1 like Beetlejuice but this is how many times it takes to try and conjure the Oilers into the playoffs.

And thats not even guaranteed.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:59 AM   #1135
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So there are 4 things that can happen this season.

1. Oilers miss playoffs
2. Oilers make playoffs as WC1 or WC2 and get bounced after a waste of 8 days
3. Oilers make playoffs and go on a run
4. Oilers win Cup

Now as we know 4 won't happen, that leaves 3 outcomes for this season. So what outcome leads to the worst misery for the Oilers next year and onwards? One of the following happens next year.

1. Draisatl signs a contract extension prior to 24/25 season
2. Draisatl is traded prior to the 24/25 season
3. Draisatl signs a contract extension during the 24/25 season
4. Draisatl is traded during the 24/25 season
5. Draisatl plays out the 24/25 season and walks as a UFA

Which outcome is the worstbfor them? Obviously walking to UFA when the team loses him for nothing. Which outcome is the worst for those that hate the Oilers? I'd say Draisatl traded prior to 24/25 season as they might luck into accidentally filling some gaps around Mcavi and icing a complete team for once, unintentionally.

So what outcome for this season produces the beat chance to allow for walking to UFA? Sadly, it does mean they make the playoffs this year, because missing would cause more drastic changes like possibly trading Drai, especially if he says he won't sign after a missed playoff season. So the team needs to feel like this was an off-year and the want to run it back one more time in this window.

TL/DR - For the most misery for the Oilers, I hope they make the playoffs this year and are promptly eliminated, so they think they can run it back one more year which gives the best chances for Draisatl to head to UFA and he walks for nothing, otherwise they might trade Drai prior to the season and luck into icing a more complete team.
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 04:53 PM   #1136
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This has nothing to do with whatever's currently being discussed, but I was curious so I (very quickly) did a count of records:

vs teams currently in a playoff spot
- EDM is 7-11-1 (15 points in 19 games)
- CGY is 10-8-3 (23 points in 21 games)

vs the "under 30" club (OTT, ANA, CHI, SJS)
- EDM is 4-1-0 (8 points in 5 games)
- CGY is 1-1-0 (2 points in 2 games)

vs the "under 25" club (CHI, SJS)
- EDM is 3-1-0 (6 points in 4 games)
- CGY is 0-0-0 (0 points in 0 games)

Summary
- their record is inflated by 8 points vs the 4 worst teams in the NHL
- and they still aren't in a playoff spot
- because they suck against playoff teams
- because they suck

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-02-2024 at 05:01 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:24 PM   #1137
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This has nothing to do with whatever's currently being discussed, but I was curious so I (very quickly) did a count of records:

vs teams currently in a playoff spot
- EDM is 7-11-1 (15 points in 19 games)
- CGY is 10-8-3 (23 points in 21 games)

vs the "under 30" club (OTT, ANA, CHI, SJS)
- EDM is 4-1-0 (8 points in 5 games)
- CGY is 1-1-0 (2 points in 2 games)

vs the "under 25" club (CHI, SJS)
- EDM is 3-1-0 (6 points in 4 games)
- CGY is 0-0-0 (0 points in 0 games)

Summary
- their record is inflated by 8 points vs the 4 worst teams in the NHL
- and they still aren't in a playoff spot
- because they suck against playoff teams
- because they suck
The results of your study are conclusive. Edmonton is No Good.

In front of me in line today was a kid wearing a McDavid Oiler jersey and a Leafs toque. It took everything in my power to resist not hip checking the little puke into the checkout stand.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 06:31 PM   #1138
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Everything comes back to E=NG.

Trust the science.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 06:41 PM   #1139
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was at the game on Sunday and there was a tool in a McAvi jersey near my section chanting "LET'S GO FLYERS". All...game...long. Proved the point that Bumonton is the dung pit evolution didn't bother with. NO GOOD!
Old 01-02-2024, 07:05 PM   #1140
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The results of your study are conclusive. Edmonton is No Good.

In front of me in line today was a kid wearing a McDavid Oiler jersey and a Leafs toque. It took everything in my power to resist not hip checking the little puke into the checkout stand.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote