Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #1121
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Am I missing something? I look on capfriendly and it shows 7 million. Minus 800k-1m for bread. How can they sign Chucky for 6 million?!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #1122
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Am I missing something? I look on capfriendly and it shows 7 million. Minus 800k-1m for bread. How can they sign Chucky for 6 million?!
You are missing a couple of things:

1) Valimaki's LTIR will kick in when the Flames need it, and that will add $850,000.
2) The Flames's current cap hit is accounted for by 12 forwards, so when both Manguipane and Tkachuk sign, one of those will be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #1123
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Isn't this is a significant part of the problem that you are ignoring? "Market value" seems to be very much in flux right now. Just look at the RFA deals signed in the last calendar year—they are all over the map from LeBlanc's one year, $1.0 m contract, to William Karlsson's eight-year deal, to Werenski's three-year deal with the massive qualifying commitment, to Auston Matthew's five-year premium. Of course, Tkachuk and his companion RFAs are all looking at Matthews's contract and expecting comparable compensation and term. But with the current ongoing negotiations the League is having with the NHLPA about escrow, the static salary cap, and the unique situation with so many young players missing from camp there IS NOT a set market. Tkachuk's side can believe with all their hearts that their ask is within "market value," but unless there is a party prepared too pay it, it's just an imaginary number. I think it is fairly clear that teams are much more reluctant to pay than you are assuming.
I was going to say something like this. Market for a skilled winger is what exactly? I don't think it's what Marner is asking for. Keller signed for max term at just over 7, which I think is a real gamble on Arizona's part. Aho signed for $8.5 but he's a C and probably Carolina's most important forward.
Colin White signed for 6 years at 4.7 or so and his numbers are very good (not as good as Matt's). Vrana - the same.

And Treliving has to be careful. What was William Karlsson's market value after a 78 point season? What is it now?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #1124
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Point is, GMs not named Chiarelli and Dumbass are still contributing to establishing the market
GMs can’t be pushovers, they need pugnacity.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #1125
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I've been told from a good source that the Flames offered $7.75 and Tkachuk's camp wants $9.5. No mention of what the term is.
9-9.5 for 8 years sounds about right.

7.75 for 6 years would be about right too.

7 years, somewhere in the middle.

That better be tkachuks camp's demand for max term. It's too high for anything less. But that's also negotiating (in its early stages).
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #1126
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

That better be tkachuks camp's demand for max term. It's too high for anything less. But that's also negotiating (in its early stages).
I am quite sure that ask is not on an eight-year term. My guess would be six—the Flames’s counter-offer might be on five-years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #1127
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
GMs can’t be pushovers, they need pugnacity.
Or they can hire interns to provide it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 01:09 AM   #1128
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am quite sure that ask is not on an eight-year term. My guess would be six—the Flames’s counter-offer might be on five-years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would now say Tkachuk comes in between $7.25-.75M on a six year deal. The number does not go up perceptibly from here, and the more games he misses, the smaller the number gets.

When you're going to make over $40M on this contract and be young enough to make another $80M on your next one. I cannot think of a single recent example of a player as good as Matthew Tkachuk who did not get paid boatloads of money on their late-20s contract, or was catastrophically injured in their prime.

The great players are successful into their early 30s and then decline at varying degrees. But by then, they've gotten paid. Nobody's giving 28 year old Matt Tkachuk a four year deal. He's going to make $120+ million before his career is over.

I'd prefer if he didn't miss all of camp, but I can appreciate it. He starts missing regular season games, that's silliness. He's going to be paid like he's the best player on the team. I'm almost certain the offer he has on the table gives him that. And I'm even betting it makes him the highest paid player in franchise history. I bet it has killer lockout protections.

But he's not the team's best player. He's not the best player at his position on the team, and he plays the least valuable position on the ice (not to discount his contribution).

So I wouldn't understand why someone who wasn't all these things would need to miss games when he's already won.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #1129
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I would now say Tkachuk comes in between $7.25-.75M on a six year deal. The number does not go up perceptibly from here, and the more games he misses, the smaller the number gets.

When you're going to make over $40M on this contract and be young enough to make another $80M on your next one. I cannot think of a single recent example of a player as good as Matthew Tkachuk who did not get paid boatloads of money on their late-20s contract, or was catastrophically injured in their prime.

The great players are successful into their early 30s and then decline at varying degrees. But by then, they've gotten paid. Nobody's giving 28 year old Matt Tkachuk a four year deal. He's going to make $120+ million before his career is over.

I'd prefer if he didn't miss all of camp, but I can appreciate it. He starts missing regular season games, that's silliness. He's going to be paid like he's the best player on the team. I'm almost certain the offer he has on the table gives him that. And I'm even betting it makes him the highest paid player in franchise history. I bet it has killer lockout protections.

But he's not the team's best player. He's not the best player at his position on the team, and he plays the least valuable position on the ice (not to discount his contribution).

So I wouldn't understand why someone who wasn't all these things would need to miss games when he's already won.

I don’t think the money on your third contract (as a 28 year old) is guaranteed anymore, due to cap constraints. Which is why the current crop of young RFAs want their money now.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #1130
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I think you are a tad high in all of your estimates. Plus, I think Tkachuk asked for 9.5 for a shorter term. The Flames ask seems way more reasonable than Tkachuk's IMO.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #1131
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Or they can hire interns to provide it
Just wanted to bump the thread as you requested.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #1132
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on 960 says that he is hearing Flames and Tkachuk are now talking about term (contract length) that they were not discussing before.

Also said he is hearing the same thing as Johnston that there is reason for optimism on Marner now and that might be the catalyst

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
With the usual caveat that nothing is done until it's done, it sounds like there's been some progress in contract talks between the #leafs and RFA Mitch Marner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #1133
SniperJ
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Friedman couldn't even get a coherent sentence out when asked to discuss Mangi - "uhhh, errr, I just, ummm, hope, errrr"
Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #1134
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on 960 says that he is hearing Flames and Tkachuk are now talking about term (contract length) that they were not discussing before.

Also said he is hearing the same thing as Johnston that there is reason for optimism on Marner now and that might be the catalyst

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
With the usual caveat that nothing is done until it's done, it sounds like there's been some progress in contract talks between the #leafs and RFA Mitch Marner.

Sounds like a bridge deal :/
Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #1135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Sure does
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #1136
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Sure does
Not sure how I feel about that. I was really hoping for 7 years.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #1137
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
It just sounds to me like they’re talking about a length they weren’t talking about before. There’s been a few 6-year deals signed lately, so maybe they were talking about 7 years (Flames) and 4 years (Tkachuk) before, and now they’re talking about 6 and 5 respectively.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #1138
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would guess Thachuk ends up with a three year bridge similar in structure to timo meier or werenski.

Basically 20 mil over 3 years but broken down to 5.5, 5.5, 9. Meaning flames have to qualify him after year three at right around 8 mil.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #1139
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
It just sounds to me like they’re talking about a length they weren’t talking about before. There’s been a few 6-year deals signed lately, so maybe they were talking about 7 years (Flames) and 4 years (Tkachuk) before, and now they’re talking about 6 and 5 respectively.
Its possible we will never know. I just hope if its a bridge deal that we see him sign long term afterwards.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #1140
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

bridge deals are almost universally bad for teams so I hope it's a longer term that was previously off the table rather than a short term that was previously off the table.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread