Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2023, 02:53 PM   #1121
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will be one of the best looking 747's out there (technically two of them):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1634308833089658881
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:05 PM   #1122
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This will be one of the best looking 747's out there (technically two of them):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1634308833089658881
I didn't realize that they scrapped Trump's livery design.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #1123
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I didn't realize that they scrapped Trump's livery design.
From the press release:

The Air Force previously displayed a red, white, and blue livery for the VC-25B because it had been publicly expressed as a preferred livery in 2019. A thermal study later concluded the dark blue in the design would require additional Federal Aviation Administration qualification testing for several commercial components due to the added heat in certain environments.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:23 PM   #1124
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't tell for sure but it looks like they've dropped the shiny silver swoosh on the lower fuselage ahead of the wings. I hope not... that's my favorite part!
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:47 PM   #1125
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how does this work now that the 747 production line is finished? Does Boeing build as a one off? (or two off I guess).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:52 PM   #1126
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
So how does this work now that the 747 production line is finished? Does Boeing build as a one off? (or two off I guess).
The Air Force are using two B747-8s that were finished but never delivered because the customer went bankrupt.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:59 PM   #1127
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
I can't tell for sure but it looks like they've dropped the shiny silver swoosh on the lower fuselage ahead of the wings. I hope not... that's my favorite part!
Also covered in the Boeing press release:

Quote:
Finally, there is no polished metal section on the VC-25B because modern commercial aircraft skin alloys don't allow for it.
https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Disp...air-force-one/
Old 03-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #1128
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh oh, trouble for Flair?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1634633171768844288
Old 03-11-2023, 04:21 PM   #1129
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canadian market is too small for two major airlines and 4 discount carriers (if you count Swoop and Rouge). One or two of them are not going to survive.

Unrelated (sort of), The Feds just approved WestJet's purchase of Sunwing so there's going to be one fewer competitor in the vacation market.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #1130
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope Flair fizzles out completely.

I was in Vancouver two weeks ago, and flew out via Flair on Friday and was returning on Monday morning at 6am with Flair again. Over the weekend, my ID developed a hairline crack in it (just from sitting in my wallet, the new Alberta IDs are super thin p.s.), and the Flair agent at the desk told me they could not accept it as it was now void. I had paid for a checked bag fee and a carry on fee, about $130 on top of my ~$120 fare. They refused a refund at the desk and also in my calls to customer service since.

I walked over to Air Canada and WestJet and told them the situation and both airlines were super great customer service wise, and happy to accept my ID with the crack in it (thankfully rationality and reasonability exist). We looked into booking me a flight, however unfortunately Air Canada only had business class available on flights to Calgary, and wanted $1700 (couldn't believe that price for a 1 hour flight!!), and WestJet couldn't get me out until late in the evening and it would have been another $550. I ended up going the most economical route and renting a car and driving.

If the other airlines had said the same thing about the ID, I'd have understood that policy is policy. #### Flair!
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 01:57 PM   #1131
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flair probably oversold the flight and used your cracked ID as an excuse to recover a seat
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 02:08 PM   #1132
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I tried flair and will never fly with them again. The adage, you get what you pay for, couldn't be more correct with them. Paid for seats both ways, didn't get my seats. Couldn't check-in on app or website. My spouse, who had a ticket and booking email was told she wasn't on the flight. (They did let her on after showing them all my emails).

Flight was cancelled due to weather (not their fault). They gave me a rebooked flight home from Ontario 10 days later! I had to find a flair flight out of Pearson (an hour plus away) and call the customer service line to ask if they'd put us on that flight. It was that or pay $1300 x 3 to get us home with a real airline.

This was still 3 days after the cancellation. So 3 nights hotel, food and rental car all with no compensation.

As poor as Westjet has been I would have been home one day late had I not been so tempted to try the new cheap airline.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:47 PM   #1133
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

If everything goes right, nothing wrong with the ULCCs.

That said, I prefer to fly Air Canada as when things go wrong, they have the capacity to fix it.

8 years ago today my wife and I flew WestJet out of Halifax. Worst customer service I've ever had from an airline at the airport. Was booked for the next day, flight was cancelled, and if I didn't have the forethought to get them to rebook me from Halifax to Vegas via St. John's we wouldn't have gone. I remember standing in the airport looking at the departures board in queue for security, the board was full of Air Canada flights, with one WestJet flight. If I was flying Air Canada, it would have been much easier to book and get out.

A few years ago, I was flying Toronto to Sydney. Was sitting in the Maple Leaf Lounge, when I got a notification that my flight as cancelled. I checked the desk and sure enough it was (weather related). I was rebooked for the next Sydney flight (24 hours later as there was one flight a day).

I asked if we could be booked via Halifax in the morning. No problem. Due to the weather they upgauged to a 767. Flew out no problem in the morning and connected there to Sydney.

There's a piece of mind that comes wtih the big boys.

Unless it's the summer, and it's a leisurely whatever trip, I'm not booking the ULCCs.

Something goes wrong, you're screwed.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:40 AM   #1134
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flying out of Pearson and Air Canada has automatic scanner machines prior to screening that checks your roll-on carryon and people are losing their #### when they’re told their bag is too big.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 09:40 AM   #1135
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I know nothing about the business, but I'm still shocked that people look at the market in Canada and think "Yeah, I'm totally going to start a new airline and make tons of money!"
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #1136
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Flying out of Pearson and Air Canada has automatic scanner machines prior to screening that checks your roll-on carryon and people are losing their #### when they’re told their bag is too big.
Good. People are always trying to get away with huge bags as carry on. About time they enforce their rules.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #1137
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 11:55 AM   #1138
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I know nothing about the business, but I'm still shocked that people look at the market in Canada and think "Yeah, I'm totally going to start a new airline and make tons of money!"
Used planes are cheap so it makes the entry cost attractive.

Jmo, Everyone wants to be the next WJ but there's no room in Canada for another major airline and these small carriers can't grow their fleets large enough to lower the maintenance/staff and other costs.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #1139
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'd be interested to know what size they actually use - like the old metal measurement stand by the gate that could only fit a carry-on from 1993, which may be the size on the website too?

Don't get me wrong, love that they are finally enforcing it, as I only carry on a small North Face roller. But it would be good to know exactly how the bag is being scanned since nothing is a perfect rectangle...
Old 03-17-2023, 01:02 PM   #1140
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
This makes me happy, hopefully it spreads to other airports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Used planes are cheap so it makes the entry cost attractive.

Jmo, Everyone wants to be the next WJ but there's no room in Canada for another major airline and these small carriers can't grow their fleets large enough to lower the maintenance/staff and other costs.
IIRC both Flair and Lynx are operating brand new 737-8's. Some of Flair's are white tail pickups so maybe they got them cheap to take them off Boeing's hands when the Max program was suspended.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: