Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 AM   #1121
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
I am trying to install adobe pdf reader and java, but the downloader is saying that I do not have enough disk space on my machine, even though I have 70.95 GB of free space on my E drive.
What drive is your Windows installed to? You may need more space on that drive for your download.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #1122
newts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Whenever I turn on my computer, my internet (network) connection doesnt work. I have to shut off my computer, start it again and voila...my internet connection is back.

When I start my computer the first time and the internet doesn't work, the computer is not recognizing the LAN connection (obviously), and the network driver does not show up under device manager. It does show up after I shut down and restart. I have tried reinstalling the network driver, but that doesn't solve the problem either. I've networked my house to my modem using a router, and whenever I plug my other computer into a port somewhere else in the house, I don't have any problems, so I don't think it's my modem. My OS is Win XP.

Help! Tks ..

Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #1123
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newts View Post
Whenever I turn on my computer, my internet (network) connection doesnt work. I have to shut off my computer, start it again and voila...my internet connection is back.

When I start my computer the first time and the internet doesn't work, the computer is not recognizing the LAN connection (obviously), and the network driver does not show up under device manager. It does show up after I shut down and restart. I have tried reinstalling the network driver, but that doesn't solve the problem either. I've networked my house to my modem using a router, and whenever I plug my other computer into a port somewhere else in the house, I don't have any problems, so I don't think it's my modem. My OS is Win XP.

Help! Tks ..

If you do a "repair" to the connection, does it fix it?

Or, can you "search for hardware" (in your hardware manager) and will it then start the adapter?

Is this an onboard NIC? A Dell computer? (I'm wondering if a BIOS update may be required)

And when you say you shut down and restart, are you doing a reboot, or a full shutdown (so you need to press the power button again - they are actually different things)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #1124
newts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
If you do a "repair" to the connection, does it fix it?

Or, can you "search for hardware" (in your hardware manager) and will it then start the adapter?

Is this an onboard NIC? A Dell computer? (I'm wondering if a BIOS update may be required)

And when you say you shut down and restart, are you doing a reboot, or a full shutdown (so you need to press the power button again - they are actually different things)
Thanks for your reply...I tried your first reco, and it didn't work. Second option didn't work either.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 4600C. How would I run a BIOS update, and what does this do?

To answer your last question, it's a full shutdown.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #1125
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds like a toughie.

I'd give Dell support a call.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #1126
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I format a hard drive?

I've only ever done it as part of a Windows format and re-install using the Windows disk. The OS is Windows ME.

I'm looking to completely clear off a computer so I can sell it (on CP!).

Thanks all.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #1127
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^
http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129
Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #1128
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Whoa! Anything simpler?!?!?!?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #1129
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^
forget what i posted above

use this
http://www.killdisk.com/

Last edited by ricosuave; 09-04-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #1130
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
^
forget what i posted above

use this
http://www.killdisk.com/
The format is underway. Thanks ricosuave. That was easy.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #1131
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
The format is underway. Thanks ricosuave. That was easy.
Worked like a charm...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #1132
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My computer makes a lot, and I mean A LOT of noice... Thinking it is the cooler fan, I googled it... Seems there are some program called SpeedFan, anyone have any experience of it? Or any other tips on what to do?

Thanks...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #1133
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
My computer makes a lot, and I mean A LOT of noice... Thinking it is the cooler fan, I googled it... Seems there are some program called SpeedFan, anyone have any experience of it? Or any other tips on what to do?

Thanks...
Are you sure it's the fan? Is it the fan on the CPU or is it the fan on the case? How old is the computer? Has it always been that loud since you purchased that computer (maybe it's just damaged from age and dust now?). Speedfan is a program that reads the speed of your fans and the temperature sensors it has access to on your motherboard and allows you to slows down the speed of the fan but unless you are familiar with that temperatures are safe for your CPU (and if your motherboard is compatible with the program), I'm not sure if you want to attempt this route. In any case, Speedfan will not work if your CPU or case fans are hooked up to normal fan headers. You'll probably need a special 4-pin PWM fan for speedfan to control your computer's fan speeds via software...If your computers fans are hooked up to the normal 3-pin fan connectors, then you would have to go for a hardware solution like a fan controller or a simple resistor. The other option is to replace the fan/heatsink with a quieter model.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...=ZALMAN%20TECH
This simple thing lets you twist the knob to control how fast the fan spins.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-06-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM   #1134
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Thanks...

Almost positive it IS the fan, but I wont swear on it, and have no idea of which fan it is. My computer skills arent THAT advanced...

About 15 moths since I purchased it, so it can hardly be age... The sounds came around for about two months ago, but has increased now to the point that I can´t sit in the room without having music on... Anoying...

Thinking about opening the chase tonigt to see wich one it is...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #1135
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Thanks...

Almost positive it IS the fan, but I wont swear on it, and have no idea of which fan it is. My computer skills arent THAT advanced...

About 15 moths since I purchased it, so it can hardly be age... The sounds came around for about two months ago, but has increased now to the point that I can´t sit in the room without having music on... Anoying...

Thinking about opening the chase tonigt to see wich one it is...
If it has just started doing this in the last couple of months and is getting worse then it sounds to me like you have a bearing going bad on one of your fans. You should figure out which one asap. In general there is a fan on your CPU heat sink, on the back of the case, and in the PSU. The case fan is the easiest one to replace.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #1136
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
If it has just started doing this in the last couple of months and is getting worse then it sounds to me like you have a bearing going bad on one of your fans. You should figure out which one asap. In general there is a fan on your CPU heat sink, on the back of the case, and in the PSU. The case fan is the easiest one to replace.
Yep....I was thinking the same thing.

In the past, I have greased the fans to reduce noise, but your best bet would be to replace it.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #1137
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I need some help Im no computer expert, but Im thinking of upgrading the ram in my laptop. I currently have 1GB, and it says I can expand to 2GB. I have a gateway MX6442. I was looking at took types of Ram both made by Kingston

the first is a kingston 1GB PC2700, for $179.95
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...tID=10537&SID=

The Second is a Kingston 1 gb PC2-5300, for 59.00
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...ctID=7282&SID=

Why is there such a price differnt between the two when they seem to be very simular? Can I use the PC2-5300 in my laptop? I know the ram that is already there says it is PC2700if that helps.
Thanks alot!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #1138
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^
you need to use a PC2700 ram chip to match the bus speed of what your computer and your other ram chip needs.

the pc2-XXXX ram chips are for newer computers and they are not compatible with the other ones.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #1139
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

ahh that makes sense, Thanks for the help Rico

Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #1140
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust View Post
I need some help Im no computer expert, but Im thinking of upgrading the ram in my laptop. I currently have 1GB, and it says I can expand to 2GB. I have a gateway MX6442. I was looking at took types of Ram both made by Kingston

the first is a kingston 1GB PC2700, for $179.95
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...tID=10537&SID=

The Second is a Kingston 1 gb PC2-5300, for 59.00
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...ctID=7282&SID=

Why is there such a price differnt between the two when they seem to be very simular? Can I use the PC2-5300 in my laptop? I know the ram that is already there says it is PC2700if that helps.
Thanks alot!
You should make sure that you have a slot available for the RAM. Your 1 GB of ram may be 2X512 MB of ram and may leave you with no slots available.
Closed Thread