Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #11201
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Only goalie I can think of is Bob and I doubt he would come here unless we overpaid like crazy.
?

I for one hope we keep rittich, and I think his ask will be reasonable. For a backup of tandem I would approach howard or Varlamov. Personally I dont see the allure at all in Bob, hes a total headcase
Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #11202
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Who plays goalie for us next year if we add $16 Million to the forward ranks?

I'd rather we resign our current guys and put some money in a high end goalie.

We score a lot of goals. We can do a better job stopping them.

Stone is an amazing defensive player.

Sure, it sounds good on paper to put money into a high end goalie, but who exactly are you going after? The only guy really on the market for the foreseeable future is Bobrovsky.

I would much rather pay that money to Stone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #11203
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
8 Years @ 8.75 for Stone,
8 Years @ 8.25 for Tkachuk
I think we should wait a bit on matty's big contract. It might cost us more in the end but a bit more room during the prime johnny-gio window is worth that
Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #11204
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think we should wait a bit on matty's big contract. It might cost us more in the end but a bit more room during the prime johnny-gio window is worth that
I doubt Tkachuk would be interested in a bridge like deal...

Flames won't have much choice, sign him or he hold outs...
Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #11205
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Who plays goalie for us next year if we add $16 Million to the forward ranks?

I'd rather we resign our current guys and put some money in a high end goalie.

We score a lot of goals. We can do a better job stopping them.
Im wondering if Dubnyk might not be in play.

The Wild are not likely to make the playoffs this season if they are being honest with themselves. Even if they do, how far can they go without Koivu or Dumba?

Acquisition cost may be higher than BT wants to spend on a G however, which could be a big stumbling block.

Tre was at the Rangers/Wild game last night I think i heard so maybe instead of just watching the Hayes and Zuccarello duo, he was actually there to see Dubnyk?
Old 02-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #11206
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I do not want to lose Hamonic, he is a warrior and a guy that is built for playoff hockey on a great contract who wants to be here.
Absolutely, ideally, Calgary would rather keep Hamonic over Michael Stone, Ryan, Bennett...
Old 02-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #11207
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

According to Friedman any team signing Stone is looking at the 10.5 plus like Ottawa offered.
Plus it may need to be front loaded.
And you have to give up huge assets to acquire him in the first place.

This is UFA and trade deadline bidding wars combined. Bad combo.
If I am trading firsts and top prospects, I am getting someone good on a friendly contract with term.
Stone is good, but at 10M he is way overpaid. He is no Tavares.
If this is the reality then Lidholm is worth 4 Firsts and a top prospect or 2.

Flames may be better off looking for a smaller deal.

I can live with giving up a first and a Foo or Mangipabe, but not much more.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #11208
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
According to Friedman any team signing Stone is looking at the 10.5 plus like Ottawa offered.

If I am trading firsts and top prospects, I am getting someone good on a friendly contract with term.

You won't be getting Stone for that offer unfortunately
Old 02-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #11209
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on Treliving. Drive up the price on all of these guys, then grab some depth for very little, or stand pat. Let other teams cripple their future for a player that may or may not help out. If history is any indication, bringing in the big name star at the deadline does not lead to success.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #11210
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree ,with them being in the hunt it makes no sense trading them but with them being Ufa at the and of the season and maybe there are Not going To being them back so they just want To set some assets for them.i have Always liked Nelson
Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #11211
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agree 100%. I'd rather make a move like the Hamilton / Hamonic deals where you are getting cost controlled players then have to give up assets and UFA value to get a guy.

Posted the note below yesterday and when you add it all up I'm not sure Stone is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Think the problem I have with Stone is that he's likely also going to command a $9.5M cap hit - which means you likely have to move other pieces too to free cap on top of what you give up for Stone.

I'm going to assume that moving Neal is not feasible, and that moving our Stone wouldn't be an option as playing with his brother will be used to entice Stone to sign.

Rumor is Sens want 3-4 pieces, and in order to fit Stone in long term it means likely that at least Brodie and Frolik are moving.

So big picture the trade is something like:

Stone
Assets from Brodie Trade

for

2019 First
Dube
Kylington
Czarnik

Brodie (Moved in separate deal at draft)
Frolik (Moved as a cap dump at the draft)

As much as I do like Stone I wonder if it's worth it due to A) The young pieces we'd have to move out and B) The way it would negatively impact our depth moving forward.

I'd almost rather just take a shot in the offseason if he goes UFA.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #11212
Knut

Exp:

Nope. I am selfish. I want a run right now. Trading for Stone and signing him strengthens our next 3 year cup window.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Stone
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

This is a cup winning top 6. It makes it very difficult to match up against.

Even if you do match up against it you are rolling out Bennett - Jankowski - Neal against weaker competiton. Even. Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway/Mangiapane would be a tough matchup.

Sure. Brodie would probably have to be moved in the off-season. And Stone on D (players are professional. Mark Stone would be happy for his brother to find a place to play regularly ).
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #11213
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
You won't be getting Stone for that offer unfortunately
Then so be it. The team may better off without him.
A 25g guy making 10.5 is Insanity and if he struggles here, watch out.

Neal was not far off from what Stone is and we are already regretting that contract. And it's half the $$$, and was a free acquisition. Can you imagine losing Valimaki + for the pleasure of signing that deal again?
Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #11214
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Is it worth it?

Dillon Dubé
Andrew Mangiapane
2019 1st round pick (CGY)
2020 1st round pick (CGY)
I think it is worth it if you could guarantee Stone would resign a long term deal in Calgary. And therein lies the problem... it is way too much to pay for a rental.

If somehow Treliving could get a an indication of Stone's interest in resigning in Calgary (ask his brother?) I think you could entertain a offer like that. Otherwise skip the big fish and look at cheaper options rental options like (Zuccarello/Dzingel/Hayes)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #11215
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

$10.5m is very, very steep for a guy with a career high 64pts (although he'll surpass that this year). Don't get me wrong, he's really good, excellent defensively, but that's really rich. We have 5 guys that will have more than 64 pts this year. If he'd agree to something in the ~$8-$8.5m range long term, then I think it makes sense. Otherwise go get Zuccarello, Hayes, Johansson, or the like as a good complementary rental. I did have a dream that Stone get traded and signed here though last night. ;-)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #11216
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A 25g guy making 10.5 is Insanity and of he struggles here, watch out.

Neal was not far off from what Stone is and we are already regretting that contract. And it's half the $$$, and was a free acquisition. Can you imagine losing Valimaki + for the pleasure of signing that deal again?
If you're going to say Neal and Stone are comparable players then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Stone impacts the game at a Gaudreau type level. He is an elite, 26 year old, two way forward.

Neal is a slow, 31 year old, one dimensional shooter.

You can argue the merit of trading for Stone and if it's worth it barring the cost all day long, but statements like yours weaken your argument.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #11217
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
$10.5m is very, very steep for a guy with a career high 64pts (although he'll surpass that this year). Don't get me wrong, he's really good, excellent defensively, but that's really rich. We have 5 guys that will have more than 64 pts this year. If he'd agree to something in the ~$8-$8.5m range long term, then I think it makes sense. Otherwise go get Zuccarello, Hayes, Johansson, or the like as a good complementary rental. I did have a dream that Stone get traded and signed here though last night. ;-)
124 points in his last 117 games (while being on the terrible senators). It's not fair to call the guy a 64 point player.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #11218
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
A 25g guy making 10.5 is Insanity and if he struggles here, watch out.

I mean, I agree that it is a ton of money but they could not be anymore different. Neal was slated as a goal scoring winger who's 31, Stone is a two way winger that drives play and is 26. I'm with ya not sure I would do it for 10.5, but they are definitely different situations.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #11219
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO if Tre trades for Stone it will be because he is supremely confident he will not only be able to extend him, but extend him for much less than the rumored $10.5 AAV ask.

I also believe they wouldn't lose much, if anything, from the current NHL roster up to and including our young Dmen who have been playing every game for months now. Tre isn't looking to shake up the roster, he's looking to add to it. It'll mostly be picks and prospects.

You can also be sure that he would have a plan in place to clear salary in the off season while simultaneously recouping draft picks. Players like Brodie, Frolik and Neal if he bounces back with a strong playoff.

One more thing, IMO Tkachuk is not getting an AAV over $8 million. At least not from the Flames. We've all seen Tre negotiate right?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #11220
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, firstly, posters were saying 8.5 for 8 years. But in any event IMO he can take the 10.5 for 5 and then get at least another three-four at 8. I really don't think players like him worry about injury. The terms signed recently show this.
Forgive if I’m missing a major one but who? I can’t think of any non RFA superstars who signed for five but again I might be missing one. Matthews and Nylander? Pretty significantly different situation for 20-22 year old RFAs trying to get to UFA then Stones situation. Stone will be 31 when a five year deal is up, and if his play has fallen off much then he might be looking at a 3-4 year deal for around 20 million, or even less... And under your 3-4x8 he only ends up with 4-5m more over the 8 years while carrying a ton of risk. That’s a big gamble for a few million bucks on a potential 70-75m overall deal. His agent would be foolish to not maximize term on this deal.
Closed Thread