Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #11181
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Hamilton for Seguin even realistic? I am a huge Hamilton fan and supporter, but 1C vs 1D value is a tough one to nail down.

I think we would have to add, but I would be willing too. Is there any rumor that he would be available even?
Hamilton+Jankowski+ for Seguin would be delicious.

Agree on the Brodie+Backlund value being too much for ROR. I would do Brodie+Janko for RoR but that's my max bid on that trade.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #11182
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why is Backlund name keep coming up, we just signed him, he's not going anywhere, that wouldn't look very good on the flames.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #11183
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Why is Backlund name keep coming up, we just signed him, he's not going anywhere, that wouldn't look very good on the flames.
Probably because there is no draft speculation so people are just spitting in the wind for kicks. Hell its likely another 5 weeks before trades can even happen so I would take every "speculation" lightly. But ya, Backlund stays.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #11184
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Is Hamilton for Seguin even realistic? I am a huge Hamilton fan and supporter, but 1C vs 1D value is a tough one to nail down.

I think we would have to add, but I would be willing too. Is there any rumor that he would be available even?

Agree on the Brodie+Backlund value being too much for ROR. I would do Brodie+Janko for RoR but that's my max bid on that trade.
Will be interesting to see what happens with Seguin. He probably extends with Dallas, but as of now he could be the 3rd straight #1 C in his prime to go UFA after Stamkos last year, and likely Tavares this year.

Losing Hamilton would suck, but if your proposal here could be done in the summer, where the Flames could immediately extend Seguin, it's a no brainer IMO.

Right shot 30-40 goal scorer who can play RW or C?

Yes please.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #11185
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Id be more interested and intrigued by Schneider out of nj or what the caps do with their duo considering their Russian goalie prospect is coming to NA this year.
This was the idea I was getting at.

Not trading for Lundquivst specifically but a tier 1 goaltender who we might be able to target due to recent misfortunes in their season.

Always liked Schneider. Dubnyk, Price and Holtby might be others too to consider.

Also I am not implying we need to trade Smith but if you get a chance to upgrade your hockey team, why not?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #11186
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
This was the idea I was getting at.

Not trading for Lundquivst specifically but a tier 1 goaltender who we might be able to target due to recent misfortunes in their season.

Always liked Schneider. Dubnyk, Price and Holtby might be others too to consider.

Also I am not implying we need to trade Smith but if you get a chance to upgrade your hockey team, why not?
-Schneider is 32 with 4 x $6m left on his contract, his last good year was 15/16. no thanks

-Dubnyk is 31 with 3 x $4.33m left, Would love him but cost would be very high to acquire him

-Price is 30 with 8 x $10.5m left, Just no!

-Holtby is 28 with 2 x $6.1m left, Sure but like Dubnyk the cost would be extreme.

I think the best bet is to stay pat with the young goalies we have and hope one rises to the top and grab the odd UFA for experience.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #11187
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would keep Janko over Backlund given his upside and cost control.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #11188
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
-Schneider is 32 with 4 x $6m left on his contract, his last good year was 15/16. no thanks

-Dubnyk is 31 with 3 x $4.33m left, Would love him but cost would be very high to acquire him

-Price is 30 with 8 x $10.5m left, Just no!

-Holtby is 28 with 2 x $6.1m left, Sure but like Dubnyk the cost would be extreme.

I think the best bet is to stay pat with the young goalies we have and hope one rises to the top and grab the odd UFA for experience.
I know people think this is an anchor of a contract, but it was just last year that he signed this and no one seemed to have a problem with it. I think he gets a similar deal if he hits UFA.

Put him behind some actual defense and he takes your team deep. I think this is the only time you can even talk trade with the Habs for Price and not be hung up on. Smith is great and all, but it was one year ago that he was easily worth that contract. His previous four years are 2.32/1.96/2.06/2.23GAA.

I want that guy anchoring my team.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #11189
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think the Sabres would be more interested in Jankowski than Backlund. Plus, I'm sure Jankowski would love to play there. I think Brodie + Fox + Jankowski could get us ROR + a small add.

Top 9 looks like:

Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - ROR - X
X - Backlund - Frolik

With Ferland and others filling out the other spots.
I will help run BT out of town if he pulled the trigger on that. Too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #11190
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: Guess missed some pages ha.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #11191
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I know people think this is an anchor of a contract, but it was just last year that he signed this and no one seemed to have a problem with it. I think he gets a similar deal if he hits UFA.
You're misremembering. The majority of the hockey world had a problem with that contract. Everyone knew it was an anchor the day it was signed, while agreeing that Montreal pretty much had to do it.

Even look back at the thread on CP - Just from the first page or so...

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...y+price&page=3

Quote:
That's gross
Quote:
Love Price, but it will be tough to build around that contract.
Quote:
That's a lot of money and tern for a goalie who's going to be 31 by the time this contract kicks in.
Quote:
That's terrible, far too long
Quote:
Wow that's insane! Must have had to compensate for taxes
Quote:
lol

These contracts....

The best goalie in the league pretty much just became untradeable IMO.
Quote:
probably would have just traded him instead of giving him this contract.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #11192
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think the Sabres would be more interested in Jankowski than Backlund. Plus, I'm sure Jankowski would love to play there. I think Brodie + Fox + Jankowski could get us ROR + a small add.
Of course that would work. Because its a GROSS OVERPAYMENT.

Terribad.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #11193
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You're misremembering. The majority of the hockey world had a problem with that contract. Everyone knew it was an anchor the day it was signed, while agreeing that Montreal pretty much had to do it.

2014 Lundqvist cap hit was 8.5 which was 12.3% of the cap.

2018 Price cap hit will be 10.5 which will be 12.8-13.5% of the cap based on current projections.

Not all that different, and Price was trapped on the Habs dumpster fire. Put him on a team with proper D and he could carry a team a long way.

EDIT... No Pun intended.

Last edited by theslymonkey; 04-30-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #11194
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I haven't seen a rumour re: Seguin and I don't think Dallas will let go of Seguin. The comments around Seguin from me were more value related and a comment on the type of player you need back in a Hamilton trade. Personally I don't think we see a Hamilton trade considering the type of player(s) that would need to come back in a Hamilton trade.

I think if the Flames do make a move, it'll be Brodie for a lesser 2nd line player or Brodie + for a very good player. The plus depends on the player.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #11195
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the value in a sense is fair, but with Spezza sucking now I do not see the Stars making this move. It would just create a hole for them, and Dougie would basically be on the second pairing since they already have an OFD of their owning Klingberg.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #11196
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are two kinds of trades proposed by fans:

1) Those that over-value their own players. Also known as Oiler & Leaf fan's trades. These are typically "Take our three mediocre players and give us your good player."

2) Those that under-value their own players. This is usually about trading away your whipping boy for a bright shiny new toy. Brodie comes to mind. Brodie + our good young prospect + our good young player in exchange for your guy who's value is probably pretty close to Brodie by himself.

Things to remember:
1) Every team wants mobile, puck moving defensemen.
2) Fans are "what have you done for me lately" types. GM's probably look longer term. In the past Brodie has looked like an all-star. Under Gully, not so much. Someone trading for Brodie is going to hope that they can move him back to the other side, pair him with a decent partner and recapture that magic. His past performance increases his value. Just like his most recent performance decreases it.
3) Contracts matter. Brodie is on a pretty cap friendly contract. That increases his value.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #11197
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Will be interesting to see what happens with Seguin. He probably extends with Dallas, but as of now he could be the 3rd straight #1 C in his prime to go UFA after Stamkos last year, and likely Tavares this year.

Losing Hamilton would suck, but if your proposal here could be done in the summer, where the Flames could immediately extend Seguin, it's a no brainer IMO.

Right shot 30-40 goal scorer who can play RW or C?

Yes please.
My thoughts exactly. I love Hamilton but Seguin would boost our team significantly. I just can't see Dallas being motivated to trade him at this juncture though, even if they're not sure he's going to sign at the year's end- there's no one internal to replace him, and it does not seem like the relationship has soured between player and team. Who better to throw money at?!
It's just a dream IMO, but a nice dream
Old 04-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #11198
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Of course, pretty much every contract that a player on another team signs is considered far too much money on CP.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #11199
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Of course, pretty much every contract that a player on another team signs is considered far too much money on CP.
Not really, no. Carey Price was fairly unanimous that he had shown some cracks and just signed at $10.5 until he was 40. That is a tough contract to swallow for a goalie, even the best one.

If he drops off at say 35 and isn't your number 1, you've got a $10.5mil backup for 5 years.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #11200
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I keep hearing and reading how much sense bringing Taveres to town would make for the Flames. Steinberg has brought it up, and there's a write up on Sportsnet talking about the fit. That would be a dream move, and could help this Flames team immensely. Make it happen!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread