Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #1101
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Last game vs Columbus:
19min TOI
2 G
+3
4 SOG
8 FW
6 HITS

Five points in his first three games for Florida, Sam is off to a great start. Yes, it might be a blip. Or, perhaps, it is a case of a player given an opportunity and a change of scenery finally reaching their potential.

Honestly hope it's the latter for Sam.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #1102
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Remember when James Neal went to Edmonton and scored like 8 goals in his first 6 games or something?

Let’s give it a bit more time before declaring that the Flames just traded a superstar. Bennett wasn’t a good fit here and it’s very possible he settles back into the same player he’s been his whole career.
Neal was 32. He still ended up with 19 goals in 55 games (albeit 12PPG). 4th on EDM behind 1OA, 3OA, 1OA. He briefly kept father-time at bay...not an issue for Sam.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #1103
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Just need to watch the highlights. Bennett genuinely looks like he's having fun out there.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #1104
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Anyone cheering against Sam, I posit, has had their mind poisoned by the decades of mediocrity of the Calgary Flames. They have both my pity and understanding.

I'll readily admit, many a time I've pondered why I even care about this god forsaken franchise. It gives me no reason to do so. Perhaps mental illness, perhaps some misplaced nostalgia from my youth.

So many doubters about Sam. Can he keep this better than point-per-game pace? Of course not. Can he emerge as an effective player for the Panthers? Absolutely. I hope for the latter.

So many think they know Sam. But they only really know Sam as a Flame. Which is no way to measure potential.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #1105
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe I'm not really cheering against Sam. I'm just subconsciously wanting him to stay the same so I don't have to come to terms with how terrible things are and have been.

I don't want to realize the Flames some how botched the best pick they've ever had. If he becomes a 40+ point/impact player else where then holy #### we clearly have issues.

Maybe building around 'good culture' isn't a good idea for success. Maybe they need some #######s, some angry players, or just people good at hockey. Choosing someone because you believe in their personality and motivation to become better doesn't usually beat picking the highest skill played.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:49 PM   #1106
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Maybe I'm not really cheering against Sam. I'm just subconsciously wanting him to stay the same so I don't have to come to terms with how terrible things are and have been.

I don't want to realize the Flames some how botched the best pick they've ever had. If he becomes a 40+ point/impact player else where then holy #### we clearly have issues.

Maybe building around 'good culture' isn't a good idea for success. Maybe they need some #######s, some angry players, or just people good at hockey. Choosing someone because you believe in their personality and motivation to become better doesn't usually beat picking the highest skill played.
2 seconds for a 40 point player isn't a bad return at all

Unless Bennett starts putting up 50-60+ I think the Flames should still be pleased with the return.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #1107
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good return, but it's still hard to come to terms with the highest-ever draft pick in franchise history not working out and only being WORTH two seconds. He was supposed to be the franchise. I'm ok with it, but it's a little hard seeing him doing so well on another team.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:08 AM   #1108
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Good return, but it's still hard to come to terms with the highest-ever draft pick in franchise history not working out and only being WORTH two seconds. He was supposed to be the franchise. I'm ok with it, but it's a little hard seeing him doing so well on another team.

We've had almost seven years to adjust to this thinking. He really wasn't going to change much more than he's given us in the last couple seasons. I think it's great he's doing well right now with the Panthers. He's full of rejuvenated p&v, but no doubt the Sam pendulum will swing back to the mean by next season. Two seconds for him was a pretty good deal I think.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #1109
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of it was due to the fact he didn’t really fit into the lineup. His role didn’t fit his strengths. The new coach has probably allowed him to just play.

Going from a negative to positive environment can do wonders for performance.

I doubt there are many environments more negative than the flames organization this year. They have underachieved immensely. Which is never fun.

Good for Bennett. Must be a huge weight off his shoulders. Another indictment for the flames.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #1110
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
This is part of the problem with fan expectations.

Sam Bennett was never supposed to be a franchise player.

Of course he was projected to be better than he was in Calgary.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #1111
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

Number 4 overall who some experts projected to be the number 1 overall in a strong draft at the centre position wasn't supposed to be a franchise player?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #1112
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am so happy to see Sam succeeding in Florida, and I hope it continues.

This organization failed him miserably with incompetent coaching throughout his time here. The only real coaches he had were Hartley and Sutter, and both liked Sam a lot.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #1113
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Time for an “Ongoing All Things Sam Bennett” thread?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #1114
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more worried I am about this team since the trade. Sam didn't seem to gel with the "style" of play this team has and it's primarily led by Monahan and Gaudreau. Treliving seems to have put all of his eggs into that one basket and if you don't work well with those 2, you have no use to the team. If this team still tries to win with the current roster and those 2 leading the charge, they're doomed.

The team needed more players to play like Bennette, not like the other 2.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #1115
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

What? Yes, fan expectations are out of whack sometimes, but Sam Bennett was not an example of that. He was fourth overall (highest pick ever for the Flames), could have gone higher depending on who was picking, and was projected to be a tough, number one centre.

He was protected as what every team is desperately looking for as a necessity to becoming a Stanley Cup contender.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #1116
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Now if you said that fans didn't adjust those expectations in the coming years as things changed, then I'd agree with you. But initially? No way. Those expectations were founded.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #1117
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is happening with Bennett can be relatable for all people I think. I think of a scenario myself where I had a similar experience.

I was working for a large company after finishing University and had been there for 7 years. The last year or so was not ideal, I was passed over for a promotion that I felt I deserved and the person that got it did not. In my last 6 months in the company a new manager was hired who was unbelievable to work with and had a ton of experience and knowledge he was passing down. That did not change the fact that I was not happy with the company and wanted to move on.

7.5 years ago I jumped to another company where I feel I have been appreciated significantly more and also I was able to make more money almost immediately and advance into a leadership role which I have been in for 3+ years now.

I felt like I was in a rut that was hard to dig out of at the last company despite getting a great boss in my last 6 months. The fresh start energized me and the company I currently work for helped me reach my potential. In my first couple of years at the first organization I was told by managers and directors that they saw leadership potential and a long term career. I did work through 4 different roles in that time but felt the leadership group of the department I was working in towards the end did not see it the same way as the leaders I was working for when I entered the company.

Basically I do believe that a fresh start at a similar job but different company can be a big motivator and feeling like there is a true clean slate and opportunity to prove ones self can be a game changer.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #1118
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Now if you said that fans didn't adjust those expectations in the coming years as things changed, then I'd agree with you. But initially? No way. Those expectations were founded.
Well, then apologies If I'm wrong.

When he was drafted I remember talk of depth in the draft, but no clear cut number one and none of them being "franchise players".

Hell, if Bennett was so highly touted, why did many want Reinhart instead?

edit: But like I said, it was a while ago now and maybe I just remember wrong.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 04-22-2021 at 10:07 AM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #1119
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, then apologies If I'm wrong.

When he was drafted I remember talk of depth in the draft, but no clear cut number one and none of them being "franchise players".

Hell, if Bennett was so highly touted, why did many want Reinhart instead?
Right hand shot. Reinharts family connection to the Flames. He'd have been the 3rd Reinhart to be a Flame. Plenty of reasons. Had nothing to do with skillsets at the time.

Heck, that draft I recall even pushing for Nylander a bit. Bennett and Draisaitl and Reinhart were all great pucks and we were lucky to get at least one, but Nylander should have went higher too.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #1120
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What is happening with Bennett can be relatable for all people I think. I think of a scenario myself where I had a similar experience.

I was working for a large company after finishing University and had been there for 7 years. The last year or so was not ideal, I was passed over for a promotion that I felt I deserved and the person that got it did not. In my last 6 months in the company a new manager was hired who was unbelievable to work with and had a ton of experience and knowledge he was passing down. That did not change the fact that I was not happy with the company and wanted to move on.

7.5 years ago I jumped to another company where I feel I have been appreciated significantly more and also I was able to make more money almost immediately and advance into a leadership role which I have been in for 3+ years now.

I felt like I was in a rut that was hard to dig out of at the last company despite getting a great boss in my last 6 months. The fresh start energized me and the company I currently work for helped me reach my potential. In my first couple of years at the first organization I was told by managers and directors that they saw leadership potential and a long term career. I did work through 4 different roles in that time but felt the leadership group of the department I was working in towards the end did not see it the same way as the leaders I was working for when I entered the company.

Basically I do believe that a fresh start at a similar job but different company can be a big motivator and feeling like there is a true clean slate and opportunity to prove ones self can be a game changer.
Yeah, but having deserved vs having earned it are two different matters. Entitlement is the bearer of illegitimacy. Does Bennett deserved to be place on a high pedestal? Nope. Did he earn it to be on the top line? Nope. Was he given ample chances? Yup. Even Sutter, the Flames saviour, tried putting our overwhelmingly beloved Bennett up in the top lines. Yet, by the end, he was put in the bottom 6 again. I know people like to argue that our top 6 are the worst top 6 and that Bennett is better or can be better if he is put on a line with better players - what a bunch of malarkey!

Look at players that started roughly the same time or after: Janko, Mangiapane, Dube, and Ferland. The latter 3 earned their spots on the top 2 lines. Janko never got past the bottom 6, however, he was a decent center for the 4th line that worked well for penalty kills. All of those players had their purpose. However, I don't think Bennett had a purpose in a Flames uniform. I still contend that if every player showed up in the all the playoff exits in past seasons, no one can make a sound argument that Bennett was far above anyone else and that he is a playoff performer.

Anyway, I still can't believe he's still garnering attention and making yet another super thread for a guy who the Flames wasn't supposed to pick up if the Flames would've just lose to the Oilers in the final few games of the season.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote