Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #1101
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Etienne from a value perspective is as bad as it gets. If the Jags had no RBs at all it might be forgivable. But they literally just proved you can get top end RB production from guys off the street. You should be getting starters at valuable positions in the first round. Even though the Raiders had a massive reach, at least OLine is a very valuable position to address. The issue with the Raiders pick is they should have been able to trade back and get the player anyway. The other reaches are not good, but again, more valuable positions, and more need for those teams than the Jags had for a RB. RB might have been the lowest position of need for the Jags, and it's the least valuable position in the NFL. It's an indefensible pick IMO.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #1102
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Well I'm a fan of this guy already. Hope he has a brilliant career.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1387951085487366146
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #1103
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Etienne from a value perspective is as bad as it gets. If the Jags had no RBs at all it might be forgivable. But they literally just proved you can get top end RB production from guys off the street. You should be getting starters at valuable positions in the first round. Even though the Raiders had a massive reach, at least OLine is a very valuable position to address. The issue with the Raiders pick is they should have been able to trade back and get the player anyway. The other reaches are not good, but again, more valuable positions, and more need for those teams than the Jags had for a RB. RB might have been the lowest position of need for the Jags, and it's the least valuable position in the NFL. It's an indefensible pick IMO.
It is your opinion and not that of a lot the people I know and people who get paid to cover these drafts. Sure the value is not there but value only means anything to individual teams/people. Your value would be completely different than say a professional football coach or GM.

The thing is Urban Meyer wanted Etienne as his 25th pick due to Buffalo's interest in the RB and possibility they take him @ 30. Also Meyer wanted him as his 3rd down running back due to his ability to make plays, his speed, how he compliments both Robinson + Hyde and his track record of being a big third down player.

We will have to see if this pick is indefensible after a few years and how the rest of the draft shakes down.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #1104
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Etienne isn't a terrible pick. They need playmakers around Lawernce. If Robinson who did miss two games last year misses any time then you're left with Carlos freakin Hyde. Say goodbye to any running game then. Not to mention, you need more than 1 good RB nowadays.

Sure you can get another back later in the draft but will he be as good as Etienne? Doubt it.

They're not going to turn this thing around with one draft. They have a decent Oline which allowed Robinson to have a good year. Add in some decent receivers they have and good running game will make things a ton easier on Lawrence.

They already have some good pieces on defensive side plus have another 3 picks in the next 33 picks.

Enjoy it Jags fans, you'll have a pretty good O for next few years.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #1105
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

One day the NFL will complete its evolution into the Big 12 and have 70 passing attempts a game, and that will be great. We are getting there slowly, there are still a good amount of dinosaurs who think establishing the run actually matters and it'll take some time before we get that thinking to be obsolete. But at least we're heading there. But the worst QB in the league is still more efficient than the best RB at moving the ball. That's not an opinion either, it's a statistical fact.

And if you need playmakers around your QB you draft WRs or TEs, not running backs. Especially not when you have a good running back you got for zero draft capital, and are currently on a 15 game losing streak. But again this is why bad teams stay bad.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #1106
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Serious question: Which running backs drafted in the last 10 years are worthy of HOF consideration? I don't think there's a single guy you would say "He's definitely a HOFer". There are some guys that could get there (Henry, Kamara, McCaffrey, Cook), but even then they would have to put up obscene numbers for several more years to have a legit case. For me there's a kicker (Mr. Tucker) who is a much more likely HOFer than all running backs out there right now.

But that Jags example, man....they literally proved how little value running backs have, and within not even 12 months went and drafted one with one of the 25 most valuable picks in the draft. Bad teams stay bad for many reasons. It's not even like I think Etienne sucks or anything, but drafting a third down back at 25...goddamn that is baaaaad.
Urban Meyer still thinks its college ball maybe? When you could cut through Michigan's DL like butter...

I mean, like someone else mentioned, not a terrible player; just the value of the pick... they probably could have traded back a bit, but I think once Harris dropped off the board, they got a bit nervous maybe?

I'd have loved the Bucs to get him at 32 value wise.

I don't love the Steelers picking Harris at 21, but if you look at all the picks after him, none were an OLineman... so the value wasn't there unless they wanted to reach for the ND kid... they could have traded the pick, but it depends on whether anyone wanted to move up

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 04-30-2021 at 12:11 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #1107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Mayocks draft record in general is pretty spotty. Having a different board than the media and other teams is one thing, but why don't take advantage of that? It just feels like they are reaching every year. Ferrell at 4, Arnette at 19, Leatherwood at 17. If you love these players so much more than others, at least try to trade down and get them some more assets. It just feels he blindly trusts his eyes and tries to be the smartest guy in the room, but that's not an ideal way to build a team.
Rumours are that heads are going to roll after the draft as either Mark Davis or Gruden were not in favor of the pick. Wouldn't be surprised if Mayock and some scouts are sent packing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #1108
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You can never have too many pass rushers.
True, I'm glad they at least still went D, and at a high impact position. It was just so off the board/reach (some draft sites had him as a 4th round talent), and they have massive holes at CB2 and OLB. And (Irish LB) JOK was right there for the taking. I just don't get it, DE one of the rare positions Saints were actually set at already on D.

I think the Saints really wanted a blue chip corner, but as the last one came off the board 2 picks before them, they just said F it and went BPA according to their metrics. Time to call Richard Sherman I guess...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #1109
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Etienne isn't a terrible pick. They need playmakers around Lawernce. If Robinson who did miss two games last year misses any time then you're left with Carlos freakin Hyde. Say goodbye to any running game then. Not to mention, you need more than 1 good RB nowadays.

Sure you can get another back later in the draft but will he be as good as Etienne? Doubt it.

They're not going to turn this thing around with one draft. They have a decent Oline which allowed Robinson to have a good year. Add in some decent receivers they have and good running game will make things a ton easier on Lawrence.

They already have some good pieces on defensive side plus have another 3 picks in the next 33 picks.

Enjoy it Jags fan, you'll have a pretty good O for next few years.
FTFY and yes the offense is going to be exciting and fun to watch:

Trevor Lawrence

James Robinson
Travis Etienne

DJ Chark
Marvin Jones
Laviska Shenault

Now grab some solid defenders with the next couple picks, and maybe another WR or TE and see what next year holds.

Also the Jags also have ~39 million in cap space before the Lawrence deal so they are in a great place to add more salary.

Last edited by Since1984; 04-30-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #1110
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a Jags fan didn't love the Etienne pick but didn't hate it either. Some of the players they could've picked at 25 are still there at 33. As much as Robinson was good for us, still doesn't hurt to add more skill.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #1111
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Broncos are idiots.
Are they though?
I'm not convinced Lock is a bust and I'm not convinced Fields is any better. Pretty similar skill sets actually.

Sutton is back. Albert O is back, Jeudy should be better, Hamler is a stud. This team is primed for a breakout year offensively, and now there is a legitimate QB behind Lock that can push him.

I'm pretty happy with the pick.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #1112
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Are they though?
I'm not convinced Lock is a bust and I'm not convinced Fields is any better. Pretty similar skill sets actually.

Sutton is back. Albert O is back, Jeudy should be better, Hamler is a stud. This team is primed for a breakout year offensively, and now there is a legitimate QB behind Lock that can push him.

I'm pretty happy with the pick.
If you don’t have a quarterback you don’t have anything. Lock, he of leading the league in interceptions in only 13 games played, he of the lowest completion percentage out of all starters, is not the answer. One Leggy Teddy probably beats him out in camp anyway and as much as I love Teddy he sure ain’t the future.

They drafted a CB when they signed 2 in FA and had a few already on the roster. They have to believe fields is worse than both lock (who sucks) or Teddy (who is a stopgap average replacement level player).

I will allow that if they somehow land Rodgers or a vindicated Watson I’ll change my tune but right now they have the worst QB room in the division and arguably the league. You’re not winning games 17-14.

Feel free to freezing cold takes me later if need be but I really feel like this is teams passing on Watson all over again. Denver blew it.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:34 PM   #1113
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently they did like Fields, they just like Surtain more. Which, as this tweet author succinctly points out....big ####in yikes.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1388172337829322753
Old 04-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #1114
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Lol yeah allegedly the arrival of Teddy is what pushed them to pass on QB. That’s gotta be damage control because if so this brand new FO should be fired 6 months on the job. It makes no sense at all unless Rodgers or a redeemed Watson is in Denver as the starter this year. That is the only way this isn’t the dumbest draft pick by the broncos since Jarvis moss.

It doesn’t matter if he’s champ Bailey. How many super bowls did he win? A HOF CB does less for a team than a middling starter. So stupid.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #1115
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You wonder if Fangio watched the Super Bowl and said "See, lets load up on defense to beat Mahomes, Bucs D being loaded is why they won". They can't even use the "We believe in Drew Lock" excuse, because why trade for Teddy if that's the case? Fangio is ride or die defense so maybe he really does believe he can coax a playoff team out of a bunch of 17-13 wins.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #1116
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You wonder if Fangio watched the Super Bowl and said "See, lets load up on defense to beat Mahomes, Bucs D being loaded is why they won". They can't even use the "We believe in Drew Lock" excuse, because why trade for Teddy if that's the case? Fangio is ride or die defense so maybe he really does believe he can coax a playoff team out of a bunch of 17-13 wins.
You bring in Bridgewater because you have absolutely nothing after Lock. You bring in Bridgewater whether you are ditching Lock or keeping him.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #1117
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bridgewater is better than Lock right now though. The Broncos have a replacement level QB on a 1 year deal, and a below replacement level QB whose rookie deal is running out. Unless you are convinced you are getting Rodgers or Watson it is malpractice to pass on Fields. Speaking of Rodgers, it feels like Fields suffered from the same thing Rodgers did when he fell. Remember the talk about Rodgers was the Tedford system had produced Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller, and look how much they sucked, so maybe Rodgers isn't that good.

Same here, Fields is an OSU QB and look how every OSU QB in recent history has sucked, so he's gotta suck right? Guess we'll see, but it feels like personal bias against OSU QBs outweighed the tape, which showed a QB who would be a lock to go #1 in the majority of drafts the last 20 years. Fields suffered for the #### play of other QBs more than his own play.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #1118
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well it's not like the Bears are going to bring something out of Fields to make Bronco's fans feel bad. If anything 3 years from now they'll be happy to have avoided that bust.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #1119
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m happy with the Eagles first two picks
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #1120
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Onwuzurike... was hoping he land with the steelers (tho they should pick OL) or bucs...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote