Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #1101
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe people are arguing over the meaningfulness of his three goals. The number speaks for itself.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #1102
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
So what you’re saying is Neal has scored two meaningful goals in 31 games...isn’t that my point?
I think you've made you're point. You don't like Neal. You've had 40 posts this entire year and 33 of them are in this thread.

I'm not a fan of Neal either but at this point there is not much we can do. I'm skeptical anyone is taking his contract unless we eat salary or take a bad one back. I'd definitely be open to eating a bit of salary if a team like Vegas would make the trade. Is what it is at this point though. We should have taken Hoffman for free and this signing likely doesn't happen and we would have the offense we hoped for out of Neal.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #1103
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I think you've made you're point. You don't like Neal. You've had 40 posts this entire year and 33 of them are in this thread.

I'm not a fan of Neal either but at this point there is not much we can do. I'm skeptical anyone is taking his contract unless we eat salary or take a bad one back. I'd definitely be open to eating a bit of salary if a team like Vegas would make the trade. Is what it is at this point though. We should have taken Hoffman for free and this signing likely doesn't happen and we would have the offense we hoped for out of Neal.
Might as well have just kept Brouwer at this point. #hopingtoeatcrow
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #1104
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I didn't like the signing at first, didn't like Neal's slow start, wasn't a fan of his slow skating, but I just kept hoping that he would somehow turn things around and bring some worth to this team. At the very least I never thought he was a negative to the Flames, until tonight. This game was pretty much lost because Neal and a couple of others were more than useless tonight, they were net negatives. If not for the heroics of some usual suspects the mood around here tonight would be completely different

It's really too bad that Frolik and Backlund are still out, after such a poor performance tonight this would be the perfect opportunity for Neal to sit in the pressbox for a game. More than a third of the way through the season and he hasn't improved at all, and now appears to be regressing. If he can't get his #### together quick this could turn into the worst Flames contract signing of all time
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #1105
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trade him to Vegas for a 7th while he's still move able.

It just isn't working, he's too slow for this team. He played almost 19min tonight and was atrocious. 31 Games is a good sample size. He's had 1 legit goal.

I said it before and I'll say it again, would rather have Brouwer on the 4th line.

Last edited by Phagoof; 12-12-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phagoof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #1106
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post

It just isn't working, he's too slow for this team. He played almost 19min tonight and was atrocious. 31 Games is a good sample size. He's had 1 legit goal.

I said it before and I'll say it again, would rather have Brouwer on the 4th line.
Start_green_text

Tonight was as good of a -4 game as your likely to see

/end_green_text
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #1107
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Start_green_text

Tonight was as good of a -4 game as your likely to see

/end_green_text
Yup, makes the win even more amazing considering Neal, Ryan and Smith were actively losing us the game and had a ton of ice time.

I wonder if LA would take him for Kovalchuk? I'd do that in a heart beat.

Kovalchuk-Backlund-Frolik could work to offset his defensive liability.

Last edited by Phagoof; 12-12-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #1108
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post

Seems to me most major UFA signings are untradeable the moment their contracts are signed, except for a guy like Tavares I suppose.

Try to name major UFA signings that were traded before their contracts were close to expiring. You just made the highest bid in an auction. Why is anyone else giving you something for the right to pay a price which was too high for them in the first place?
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #1109
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Contract is worth it just for that #### eating grin on his face as he sees the future unfold at the end of games/OT.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #1110
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Can't believe people are arguing over the meaningfulness of his three goals. The number speaks for itself.
The post about 1/3 of his goals being super important was just snark in response to the one about his Pittsburgh goal.

His numbers are terrible, we all know it, he knows it. That said, he's not being traded this season, he's not going to sent down and he will not be benched for any great length of time. So my preferred discussion is what can be done to get him going. I think he needs minutes and a good passer. He also needs to be a wing shooter on the powerplay, and not a net front guy, or even a high slot guy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #1111
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

James Neal has been the part of 2 teams magical runs to the finals the past 2 years. People might forget the Preds were the second wildcard team when they went to the cup final and we all know Vegas. The Flames are having a special season with a lot of magic going on right now. Not saying it has anything to do with Neal but the last couple years this guy has been part of a couple of improbable runs so I think we should keep him around until st least the off-season. I really think Neal is going to be huge in the playoffs for us
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #1112
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he is much better than Brouwer. I think opinions are going to change by the end of the season.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #1113
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He will continue to struggle, playing with non offensive linemates. He needs to play with the top line to break out of this. However ! Watching him play, anyone who compares him to Brouwer did not watch them play. Stats wise maybe but Neal creates chances and is visible at times. He does not look lost or a complete plug like Brouwer. I still have faith he will be better later in the year.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #1114
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

James Neal sucks.

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #1115
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
James Neal sucks.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #1116
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Contract is worth it just for that #### eating grin on his face as he sees the future unfold at the end of games/OT.
I'm convinced he met a leprechaun, who offered him the choice between:

1.) Having a down year for goals but his team will be 1st in the Pacific

2.) Having a 35 goal season but his team will be fighting it out for a WC

And James Neal went: "Well.... ####"

And here we are.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #1117
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ll probably get roasted for this, but just for the sake of interesting discussion on a boring work day. Say Neal doesn’t work out in the regular season or the playoffs and say he finishes the year with his current pace of 8 goals, 15 points and a team worst -23.

Would anyone here consider a swap of James Neal for Corey Schneider? Similar dollars, $5.75m vs 6m. Schneider would have less years at 3 to Neal’s 4, so a buyout would be more advantageous if we acquired Schneider. We would get a former #1 goaltender who would be a bit of a project, but we’d have ourselves a back up to Rittich (assuming he takes the throne as the #1).

I’m not saying I’d do this personally. But it’s a thought that came to my mind and it would make sense for both teams in a way. Contract and terms are similar, one team needs more goals, the other one will need a back up goaltender for next season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #1118
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I’ll probably get roasted for this, but just for the sake of interesting discussion on a boring work day. Say Neal doesn’t work out in the regular season or the playoffs and say he finishes the year with his current pace of 8 goals, 15 points and a team worst -23.

Would anyone here consider a swap of James Neal for Corey Schneider? Similar dollars, $5.75m vs 6m. Schneider would have less years at 3 to Neal’s 4, so a buyout would be more advantageous if we acquired Schneider. We would get a former #1 goaltender who would be a bit of a project, but we’d have ourselves a back up to Rittich (assuming he takes the throne as the #1).

I’m not saying I’d do this personally. But it’s a thought that came to my mind and it would make sense for both teams in a way. Contract and terms are similar, one team needs more goals, the other one will need a back up goaltender for next season.
I’m not roasting you. Both players doing nothing for their teams so far this year, Schneider with one less year. I would do it if that deal was on the table right now.

But in the real world, Flames not giving up on Neal so soon and as you say, earliest something could happen is off season. But if Neal doesn’t pick up his play, not much reason for NJ to pick up an extra year of dead money.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #1119
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flames sign James Neal (5 years, 5.75 AAV)

Something that surprises me the most about Neal so far is his lack of physicality. I always thought he was a fairly physical player. Not to the extent of ferland or Bennett but I can’t think of any noticeable hits that neal has laid on an opponent. In fact, I’ve noticed him NOT finishing his checks fairly regularly.

I think he would get more into the game and impactful if he starts doing little things like that. He not engaging with anyone on the ice. Not getting under anyone’s skin or starting scrums. That seems like something that has always been a part of his game but I have yet to see it even once with the flames.

I think Neal could be utilized better but he needs to start bringing some spark to his game. Be noticeable in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #1120
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m not roasting you. Both players doing nothing for their teams so far this year, Schneider with one less year. I would do it if that deal was on the table right now.

But in the real world, Flames not giving up on Neal so soon and as you say, earliest something could happen is off season. But if Neal doesn’t pick up his play, not much reason for NJ to pick up an extra year of dead money.
Yeah I was thinking that from a NJ perspective, picking up an extra year wouldn’t be ideal. But Schneider is currently sitting on the bench most nights not even contributing on the ice whereas Neal would be. The upside might be worth it to Shero as well since he’d be acquiring a historically good goal scorer who might be able to turn around his career with the very quick forwards that New Jersey has.

New Jersey is also never in a cap crunch, so adding the additional term shouldn’t be an issue. The Flames could eat a little bit of salary to make the deal more palatable.

Truly the best aspect of acquiring Schneider would be the term. 3 years instead of 4 makes a big difference. If Schneider ends up stinking, the Flames could easily buy his final 2 years out.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: