Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM   #1101
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks a ton, Austin! I really really like Vanacker. Like, a lot.

If Tyler Boucher can be picked as early as he was, it’s a definite possibility that Vanacker gets picked late first. He’s got 16 points in his last 10.

Last edited by Sandman; 03-14-2024 at 11:11 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:21 AM   #1102
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Monster Edition):

The scouting world loves C/RW Adam Jecho; he's an "A" rated prospect by Central Scouting, and has been ducking in and out of the first round in mocks all year long. Jecho, who is Czech, has been playing in Finland the last 3 years, and also has 3 consecutive Hlinka Gretzky appearances- the latest bringing him a silver medal, with 2 goals in 5 games. This season, he's toiling for the Edmonton Oil Kings, who chose him 3rd overall in the 2023 CHL Import Draft, and are currently 19th in the standings out of 22 teams in the WHL. Jecho started the year well, showing no difficulty in adjusting to North American ice, with 18 points in his first 19 games, but his production has fallen off a bit since returning from an injury in mid-November, with 19 points in 30 games since late December, for a total of 37 points in 49 games.

Jecho is a behemoth, at 6'5", 201lbs, but his skating right now is a bit of a detriment, with an awkward stride that needs plenty of work in it's acceleration, and explosiveness. When he gets to top speed though, he's looks fairly smooth and fast, and much like a freight train, is hard to stop. To me, his edges look fine, as he can pivot quite quickly in small spaces, and despite the concerns with his overall speed, he can still go coast-to-coast with the puck, deking through checkers with his elite puck-protection and control. For the Oil Kings, Jecho divides his time between center and the wing, and is much more of a goal-scorer than playmaker- his shot is a cannon, and he gets a solid whip on his wrister, and both come with a nearly invisible release. Though he has a Frankenstein-like appearance on the ice, his hands are as soft as silk, and can beat goalies 1-on-1. He's not supremely skilled, but has solid hockey-sense, and stays active to open up lanes for himself and teammates. Off the puck, he plays a smart game, sneaking in and out of the low slot as a moving screen, making himself a solid pass-option, or to pounce on rebounds and tips. He uses his size well to play a heavy game along the boards, win battles, and to bully his way around. As one can imagine, he's a load to handle down low, and impossible to move when he parks himself in front of the net. He demonstrates passing skill, but generally keeps it very simple- he's not much of a playmaker.

A real plus to Jecho's game is his his defensive presence- he backchecks hard, hounding puck-carriers with his enormous reach, while disrupting plays, blocking shots, and intercepting passes. He gives an honest effort in trying to prevent goals, though there are times when he seems to be coasting, or doing some puck-watching. AJ doesn't throw a lot of hits, but would be a much more valuable player if he played with more of an edge, and was more punishing physically. There has been times when his IQ has been in question, as he sometimes makes bad decisions with the puck, forces plays, and can be pressured into mistakes. His effort in the past has been criticized, but I think he's put that to bed for the most part in the WHL. Most writers seem to think he's an NHL 3rd-liner, but I would bet there's plenty of scouts who like him more than that. I still don't think he's a first-rounder though- I'm thinking late second.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:32 AM   #1103
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of a question I’ve wanted to ask someone.

What exactly is the definition of an ‘A’ prospect? I keep hearing that teams only trade B prospects, or this team or that team has no A prospects, but nobody ever seems to refer to any set rule for assigning these letters.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:37 AM   #1104
sch19lks
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

What exactly is the definition of an ‘A’ prospect? I keep hearing that teams only trade B prospects, or this team or that team has no A prospects, but nobody ever seems to refer to any set rule for assigning these letters.
Blue chippers. Or elite prospects. Guys with really high ceilings

B prospects are guys like Pelletier. Middle six potential. Or guys like Poirier. Second pairing guys with PP abilities
sch19lks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:17 AM   #1105
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Monster Edition, Vol.2):

Eriks Mateiko is a huge (6'5"210lbs) winger, who wears an "A" while plying his trade for the second-worst team in the Q- the Saint John Sea Dogs, who are also 3rd last in goals-for. Mateiko is second in scoring for the rebuilding club, with 22 goals, and 42 points in 47 games, and sees a ton of ice-time there in all situations, as a solid, two-way player. He was Latvia's Captain in the U-18's, where he put up 2 points in 5 games, and played in the World Junior Championship, with a goal in 5 games. He's a little older, with a November birthday.

Mateiko is a good puck-possession player, and carries with confidence, elite puck-protection, and some slick 1-on-1 moves. He's an excellent handler, and can dangle through defenders, and weave through traffic, which is impressive for a big man. Goal-scoring is his main contribution to the offensive side of the puck, and he has a blistering shot with a wicked release, but does his best work below the dots- most of his goals are scored within 5 feet of the net. He has soft hands in-close, and the moves to beat goalies 1-on-1, but has no problem with shoveling in garbage goals, or converting on rebounds. His stick is always cocked and ready to shoot, and he's an imposing net-front presence on the PP. Mateiko moves quite well, with a long, powerful stride, and can flat-out fly in a straight-line, in open ice. He further propels himself forward by keeping his legs pumping hard. In the on-ice testing leading up to the CHL Top Prospects Game, he tested quite well according to reports, and even finished 4th overall in the 30M Forward Skate With Puck. He plays a physical brand of hockey, and hits hard, but also has no problem absorbing a hit to make a play. He will battle in the trenches to win pucks, and will go to the net to set up a screen- he's a menace in the crease. Mateiko is not much of a playmaker, but can complete passes of a more difficult variety from time-to-time, with accuracy, even in full stride.

Mateiko is a character player, and he leads by example with a high-energy approach to the game, and a solid work-ethic. He's a disruptive force on the backcheck, with a fantastic reach to disrupt plays, and dislodge pucks- he's very reliable defensively. He always seems to be on the right side of the puck, with sound positioning, and excellent anticipation in closing lanes, and blocking shots. He supports his D down low with physicality, and is trusted with penalty-killing duties. In transition, one could say that Mateiko doesn't contribute much, as he defers to others to do the carrying- but he will engage with give-and-go's in the neutral zone to keep opposing defenses on their toes. He needs to work on his puck-skills and passing game, but could be an excellent depth player in the NHL, with the potential for much more. I like this kid a lot more than Adam Jecho, who I think will be selected in the second round, so I will say that Mateiko will go late second, early third. He reminds me a little of a poor-man's Jesse Puljujarvi, in a good way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 03:26 AM   #1106
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch19lks View Post
Blue chippers. Or elite prospects. Guys with really high ceilings
Sure. But how high is high? Who rates them? What are the criteria?

I ask partly because we have a few posters who are absolutely adamant that, whatever prospects the Flames have in their system at any given time, none of them are ‘A’ prospects. Sometimes they dismiss players as ‘D’ prospects, and frankly, I don't know what the criteria are for that either.

So are there, in fact, criteria, or are people just tossing their Alpha-Bits around?
Old 03-15-2024, 07:09 AM   #1107
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. But how high is high? Who rates them? What are the criteria?

I ask partly because we have a few posters who are absolutely adamant that, whatever prospects the Flames have in their system at any given time, none of them are ‘A’ prospects. Sometimes they dismiss players as ‘D’ prospects, and frankly, I don't know what the criteria are for that either.

So are there, in fact, criteria, or are people just tossing their Alpha-Bits around?
There isn’t a firm definition. Pretty similar to the generational/non-generational debate.

Personally, I think what makes you an ‘A’ prospect is someone with very high potential to be an NHL player and actually making a difference (top 6 F/top 4 D, starting G) kind of player.

For me, I think the Flames have a ton of B/C prospects, but Brzu has put him in the high B range. I think our highest rated prospect, based on his performances over the years, is Wolf. I’d definitely give him an A. Only him and a couple of other goalie prospects around the NHL have that kind of grade.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:32 AM   #1108
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
"LW Marek Vanacker (who is Canadian) might be slight in stature, at 6'0",165lbs, but I guess nobody told him that he couldn't be a power-forward. He fights, scratches, and claws for every inch of ice he can get, but he plays like he's 6'2" in the way that he leans into defenders to leverage his way to the middle, dishes out big hits, attacks the net-front, and competes along the walls and in the corners. He's very hard to play against, and plays with an edge. Vanacker has compiled 26 goals and 52 points in 45 games to date as the leading scorer for Brantford of the OHL, who currently sit 3rd overall, and 9th in goals-for.
Vanacker plays with a chip on his shoulder, and is highly agressive and competitive. Despite his size, he's a load to handle down low, and will not hesitate to bulldoze an opponent. He's an all-situations, all-around player who plays on the first units of both special teams for Brantford. Though he plays hard and heavy, his hands are butter soft- he's good around the net, and in tight. He owns a great shot with a neat and tidy release that can fool goaltenders. He protects well, and is strong on the puck. He reads the play quite well with his top-tier vision and IQ, and is said to be more playmaker than scorer, even though he currently has the same number of goals as assists. He can make plays off the rush, and pull off accurate passes at high speeds. Vanacker is a good skater, but there's room to improve, and it likely will as he gets stronger- but he could use a better first-step, more explosiveness, and a higher top speed. His energy and motor make up for some of this. Defensively, he backchecks as hard as he forechecks, and exerts the speed and tenacity to pressure attackers, and take away space. His stick has eyes to disrupt plays and clog passing lanes, and he's a pest- constantly buzzing in his opponents' faces.
There's not a ton of weaknesses in Vanacker's game, and some scouts think he has middle-six potential. He needs some time to get significantly stronger, as his style of play will be harder to apply to the NHL, and he has to clean up his skating. It would be nice if he could grow an inch or two as well. It's been said that he needs some work on his puck control, and skating with his head up (yikes). He's got an excellent two-way game, and some jam, so I could see him getting picked in the early half of the 2nd round."
What position does he play?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:36 AM   #1109
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In this context it’s the way Central Scouting forecasts the upcoming draftees. Anyone ranked A they would expect to go in the first, B in the second, and C’s are later.

Or at least it’s something like that.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:42 AM   #1110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are clearly being obtuse but I will throw you a bone.

https://theathletic.com/5255686/2024...rankings-2024/

Quote:
The Calgary Flames’ pool is defined by its quantity of B-plus prospects, which runs arguably 9-10 deep (a couple more than any other team so far and comparable to several of the teams in front of them, for sure) thanks to a good 2023 draft, strong results in the late-first round, a find in the seventh round, and the acquisition of Hunter Brzustewicz from the Vancouver Canucks. They’re missing a true star prospect, but they’ve built a strong pool and there should be multiple solid NHLers coming.
An A caliber prospect is considered a true star or elite prospect. Just because the Flames don't have one in their system it doesn't mean you have to discredit people like Wheeler that spend a lot of time analyzing young players. The reality is that people like him know these players far better than we do and if they say a team lacks A prospects it's because they really do compared to other prospect bases.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-15-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 07:50 AM   #1111
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me an “A” prospect is someone projected to be a first liner , Top 2 D, or top 15 goaltender in the league

And I think it’s fair to say the Flames are missing this from their pool right now . Sure we have guys who COULD play on the 1st line (wingers potentially) but ideally on a cup competing team those guys are your 2nd line wingers
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 08:01 AM   #1112
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Jeremie Poirier is wildly underrated on this board.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 08:02 AM   #1113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
For me an “A” prospect is someone projected to be a first liner , Top 2 D, or top 15 goaltender in the league

And I think it’s fair to say the Flames are missing this from their pool right now . Sure we have guys who COULD play on the 1st line (wingers potentially) but ideally on a cup competing team those guys are your 2nd line wingers
And that's not a slight on the organization because they haven't had a pick better than 13th overall since 2016 and there's only one Dallas Stars who are the exception not the norm. There's a lot of luck required to unearth blue chip players outside the top 5 or top 10 and it's why teams in the top 10 of the draft rarely ever trade down because the odds of finding A prospects decreases dramatically.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:06 AM   #1114
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
What position does he play?
Its literally the first thing in the post: LW.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:11 AM   #1115
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sandman I know its 2024 and were 2 years away from 2026 but have you heard/do you have anything on Swedish phenom Viggo Bjork?

I recently had a buddy from Sweden put him on my radar so minimal research, but this guy looks like he could be legit and even challenge McKenna for #1 which is crazy to me.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:41 AM   #1116
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just because the Flames don't have one in their system...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
And I think it’s fair to say the Flames are missing this from their pool right now.
Wolf is absolutely an 'A' prospect.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:44 AM   #1117
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
Wolf is absolutely an 'A' prospect.
Disagree. Not a slight on Wolf and more that I feel Wallstedt may be the only truly A level goaltender prospect right now.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:49 AM   #1118
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Speaking of Poirier... his brother Justin is draft eligible this year... anyone here seen him play?
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:50 AM   #1119
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
is he? He was CP's highest ranked defenseman prospect, and overall, was only behind Wolf and 4 first round picks

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ospect+ranking
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 08:50 AM   #1120
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm intrigued by Boisvert as well. But he looks like a long term Project. Much like Letourneau.
I'm still hoping for Howe. Western canadian, leadership qualities, offensive driver, bit of a tough streak.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft