Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 08:26 PM   #1101
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Interesting piece in the Athletic by LeBrun who sat down with Fitz. Basically said he is still in the hunt for vet #1 goalie offseason and would like to get tougher on the wing. I wonder if there is an appetite for a Markstrom/Coleman package in the offseason. Maybe that is the extra piece to get a Mercer included in the package back.
I think both could be done independently.

There is an extensive list of tough UFA wingers this year who could be had for free. Some examples are : Cal Clutterbuck, Cole Smith, Dakota Joshua and Liam O'Brien.

Jersey's top 6 is already filled out for next year so I am assuming the winger Fitz is alluding to would be bottom 6. If the could upgrade that need for free I could easily see them doing that.

Markstrom is still more than likely the target they have in mind. I would continue to ask for Mercer but would accept a first if it is completely impossible but the retention would pretty much have to drop at that point in time.

Mangiapane can be dealt for a LHD. Similar age group would be preferable.

Last edited by Flames1217; 03-25-2024 at 08:31 PM.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:27 PM   #1102
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think he was one of the people in the background trying to get Johnny to sign. He talked about legacy and having his jersey retired.

He’s pretty passionate. I think he’s the real captain of this team.
Yea, I recall that.

And I agree with you 100% on both points.

I just think in the Flames' current situation, that no player should be off the table.

However, in the [likely] event this is a true retool, Coleman is certainly leading that charge.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:52 PM   #1103
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Pospisil. I like him but I think he might have a limited ceiling and he's always going to be a health concern. Calgary doesn't need that grit of his until they are ready to contend. That's when you add the grit.

He might be the Ferland in this deal.
If I am not mistaken, I believe Sec mentioned that Fitz wanted Pospisil along with Markstrom. If that is what it takes to get Mercer or their first (or both?), I would pack his bags myself.

Love Pospisil, but I suspect he is not long for this league due to his concussion sensitivity.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM   #1104
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would look at trading Mangiapane and bringing in Jake DeBrusk.

Wouldn't object to Dumba, either, but the Flames have way too many defenders as it is. No idea why they gave up a pick for Okhotiuk.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:03 PM   #1105
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade them all
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:07 PM   #1106
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Wouldn't object to Dumba, either, but the Flames have way too many defenders as it is. No idea why they gave up a pick for Okhotiuk.
You can never have too many defense prospects. And if you drafted Okhotiuk with a 5th, you'd be very happy with the pick
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:15 PM   #1107
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I suspect it was a cheap and easy way to add another Russian speaker to their regular roster.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:19 PM   #1108
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure I would want DeBrusk …..at UFA premium. Would Flames value him that highly?

Where do you see him in the roster?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:39 PM   #1109
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You can never have too many defense prospects. And if you drafted Okhotiuk with a 5th, you'd be very happy with the pick
But when you already have Solovyov, Grushnikov, Kuznetsov, Miromanov, Pachal, Poirier, Jurmo, and Brzustewicz? Just feels extraneous. I could see them losing him on waivers within a couple years.

As for timbit's question about DeBrusk ... I wouldn't give him any more than 3-4 years, although I'd probably be willing to offer him more $$$ than any other team would have room for, given the Flames' overwhelming amount of cap space. Flames need guys to play in this transitional period who they can flip down the line. Similar to when they signed Hudler to a four-year deal in 2012. I don't see any way Mangiapane stays in Calgary (I think they should trade him at the draft) and DeBrusk would offer some continuity there -- and I'd be curious to see what he could do in a bigger role.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:42 PM   #1110
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why the heck would Jake Debrusk want to sign here whan this team is going to be dog shirt for near future.

Only reason would be a downright overpay.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:45 PM   #1111
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Why the heck would Jake Debrusk want to sign here whan this team is going to be dog shirt for near future.

Only reason would be a downright overpay.

The Flames are probably going to be going after mid-tier free agents. DeBrusk is in that tier, along with guys like Duclair, Zucker, and Mantha. It's a pretty saturated market.

DeBrusk also actively wanted out of Boston before, despite them being one of the best teams in the league, because he was unhappy with his usage. I don't think that'd be a problem here.

Sign him for four years, give him plum minutes, and look to trade him with retention with a year or two left on his deal. I'd do the same with any of those guys I mentioned, albeit maybe with a bit less term.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:07 PM   #1112
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Flames are probably going to be going after mid-tier free agents. DeBrusk is in that tier, along with guys like Duclair, Zucker, and Mantha. It's a pretty saturated market.

DeBrusk also actively wanted out of Boston before, despite them being one of the best teams in the league, because he was unhappy with his usage. I don't think that'd be a problem here.

Sign him for four years, give him plum minutes, and look to trade him with retention with a year or two left on his deal. I'd do the same with any of those guys I mentioned, albeit maybe with a bit less term.
Just a hunch, I bet they sign none of those mentioned.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:26 PM   #1113
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Betting that something won't happen historically has much better odds but it also makes for far less interesting discussion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 10:29 PM   #1114
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Just a hunch, I bet they sign none of those mentioned.
I have to agree. Not only does it not make a lot of sense to make a signing like that for next year but I don’t see us being attractive to any free agents of note for quite a few years.
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:55 PM   #1115
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m a little surprised at the Okhotiuk trade too. I’d like to see him play some more.

Still he is very young and he’ll have a chance to compete for a job in camp. Can’t imagine he will cost much to re-sign.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:28 AM   #1116
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A certain insider said that Conroy would be looking at free agents willing to sign short deals. I don't know where DeBrusk stands here. He isn't coming off of a particularly strong season, but he is 27 when most players are usually hoping to lock in on a long term deal. If he saw the Flames as a team where he could more easily get top ice time and pad his stats that way, maybe he would sign a 1 or 2 year deal to try and raise his value. If that were the case, I'd be all for it. Sign him, and if the Flames are still out of the playoffs next year, trade him at the deadline.

If he is looking for a 7 year deal with a high AAV, I'd stay away.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:23 AM   #1117
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m a little surprised at the Okhotiuk trade too. I’d like to see him play some more.

Still he is very young and he’ll have a chance to compete for a job in camp. Can’t imagine he will cost much to re-sign.
I could see the Flames sitting both Andersson and Weegar with ~5 games remaining. Just letting the D compete for spots for next year. Maybe call up Poirier as well.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:21 AM   #1118
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed. The ages and timelines are also varied.
I don’t love everything but Conroy was sneaky good at rebuilding the teams D pipeline in one trade deadline.

The team has a couple competing for NHL ice time now (on the cheap).
A couple maybe 3-4 years away with potential
And a few in the middle.

The team needs 15-16 D between the big club and minors so to have a mix of ages and skills is perfect. They will sort themselves.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM   #1119
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
A certain insider said that Conroy would be looking at free agents willing to sign short deals.
i wonder if short means 1 or 2 years only or if he considers 3 years to be short too?

i'd also like them to see what shakes out in trades in the off-season before committing any dollars to free agents.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:57 AM   #1120
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see Duclair coming to Calgary. I think he is the type of player that will get a shorter term deal with a high $$ price.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good