Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #1101
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect that the commercial truck operators identified as participating are going to suffer some pretty devastating consequences. Conviction for Criminal Code offences might prevent entry to the United States. Conviction for regulatory offences will likely mean drastically increased commercial insurance rates. That is big trouble in the world of logistics/trucking.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:16 PM   #1102
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Oh, and an "independent" journalist today asked Bell if he supported the Emergency Measures given that most of the infractions were minor bylaw offences.

Bell replied "those minor bylaw offences as you call them were terrorizing the people of this city and it had to stop".

Yes, Rebel news question.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DevilsAdvocate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #1103
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't help but laugh when these morons and their supporters refer to it was a peaceful protest. It was anything but. Non-violent does not equal peaceful
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #1104
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I expect that the commercial truck operators identified as participating are going to suffer some pretty devastating consequences. Conviction for Criminal Code offences might prevent entry to the United States. Conviction for regulatory offences will likely mean drastically increased commercial insurance rates. That is big trouble in the world of logistics/trucking.
So the truckers who claim they were fighting for the ability to cross the border while unvaccinated won't be able to cross the border anyway? Nice!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #1105
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Can't help but laugh when these morons and their supporters refer to it was a peaceful protest. It was anything but. Non-violent does not equal peaceful
Well, the people who have been pushed, grabbed and had their KN95's ripped off their face would disagree with the "non-violent" part.

As my friend stated in an interview yesterday, if someone blasts noise at levels sufficient to cause permanent hearing loss - that's violence. They don't have to touch you to cause harm.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DevilsAdvocate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #1106
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
You keep using the word suspicion. I don't see it in the article.

It clearly talks about following the money. So I think a little more goes into than just a withdrawl.

I downloaded that leaked donation list a few weeks ago. Will they go after everyone one of those people? Freeze account even if they donated 50 bucks? I wonder.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Maybe suspicion is not the right word, but when the government uses the term “ good faith” it implies the bank believes and suspects but doesn’t know for 100% sure. I would call that suspicion. This strikes me as perfectly reasonable during a true Emergency act situation. Suspicious transaction? Act immediatley to stop
the threat. This is no where close to justification for the Emergencies Act.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #1107
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Oh, I wanted to mention something that an expert in child development said yesterday regarding CPS.

Yes, it was beyond abhorrent for the parents to put their children in front of them as human shields. But the children were there when the horns were blowing!! Children can suffer hearing damage at 80 dB. There will be hearing damage/loss at 100dB if exposed for over a minute. The horns were causing spikes of noise up to 120 dB, sufficient to cause pain in children's ears.

Incomprehensible.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DevilsAdvocate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #1108
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truckers fighting for their "right" to cross the border while unvaccinated get to the border and they're denied their "right" to cross the border because of their participation in an illegal rally. Well, that's ironic - and satisfying.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #1109
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
Maybe suspicion is not the right word, but when the government uses the term “ good faith” it implies the bank believes and suspects but doesn’t know for 100% sure. I would call that suspicion. This strikes me as perfectly reasonable during a true Emergency act situation. Suspicious transaction? Act immediatley to stop
Why would a bank want to alienate a customer?

I've worked as a teller before...I can't fathom a situation where I would have flagged a transaction like that. If someone wants a bank draft payable to 'Freedumb Convoy', then sure, I'd be running it through my manager. Otherwise, business as usual.

These things will not be happening at the branch level. Each bank has a big department dedicated to illegal transaction issues.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #1110
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Dude it was mentioned before this is done at the direction of law Enforcement. Are you envisioning someone at TD Bank just going through accounts and saying "this seems fishy" and freezing the account?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:28 PM   #1111
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've already addressed bank action in this thread working for a large financial institution.

No accounts are being frozen when people withdraw funds. People are, however, being coached to leave their money in whenever possible (deposit insurance versus getting mugged) as it's safer than having it under your mattress or some other vulnerable location.

EDIT: In fact accounts have always been frozen is there is suspicious activity that could be money laundering, etc. We have always received demands for funds from the government or garnishee requests. This is really a non issue blown up to be something more than people think it is.

Let's stop trying to make a news story become misinformation. We're better than the Rebel, aren't we?

Last edited by Deegee; 02-20-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #1112
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nearly 75% wanted the convidiots out of Ottawa.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1495266475996766210
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #1113
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Dude it was mentioned before this is done at the direction of law Enforcement. Are you envisioning someone at TD Bank just going through accounts and saying "this seems fishy" and freezing the account?
Hmmm, this Mickey account seems to be buying an odd amount of tinfoil! Freeze that account.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #1114
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Truckers fighting for their "right" to cross the border while unvaccinated get to the border and they're denied their "right" to cross the border because of their participation in an illegal rally. Well, that's ironic - and satisfying.
And even if they got their way, they still wouldn’t have gotten across the border as the US required vaccination. That’s the part of this I don’t get the most, they were really accomplishing nothing.

It seems to me we basically put in a quid pro quo or tit for tat rule based on what the US had done. Similar to say, how a country puts in visa requirements for another country and then that county reciprocates. All this seemed to accomplish was to get the freedumbers their 15 mins of fame, cost them money, jobs, records and then cost their fellow hard working citizens a pile of money in shutdowns and lost wages. Through this I’ve been really surprised there wasn’t a large contingent of auto workers who didn’t confront them head on.

More and more this seems like it was a grift, wrapped in the guise of a trucker antivaxx protest.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #1115
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'd like to hear GoRiders take on that clip.
Predicting that it'll an ANTIFA plot/ fake news situation- Actors all of them!
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #1116
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Predicting that it'll an ANTIFA plot/ fake news situation- Actors all of them!
Lol! I can imagine how that conversation goes down at Talent Agencies.

"How many people can you get me if we need to do an "Unwashed Hobo" themed Flashmob?

We are kind of in a rush and it needs to be hush hush!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #1117
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mischief is usually destruction of property but they’re probably getting hit with mischief for ruining the lawful enjoyment for others part of it. Maybe some destruction too, who knows. Those charges aren’t going to bring about much in the way of punishment. Hopefully the counselling charges bring about more when these losers plead guilty or get found guilty.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #1118
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed this article from the Guardian that touches on the misinformation and conspiracy theorist angles.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...clear-blockade

Quote:
Still, even as police swarmed the area on Friday, many protesters expressed disbelief that arrests were possible.

“You can’t do this. You can’t do this. You have no right,” pleaded one woman as a line of police pushed towards a blockade on Rideau Street. Another broke down in tears as protesters were hauled off.

As footage of arrests and scuffles spread, on the secure-messaging site Telegram groups supporting the truckers reacted with shock and skepticism. One user claimed the officers were with the United Nations, part of a common conspiracy theory which holds that Canada’s government is linked to globalist networks.

“If they had this many officers, there would be no crime in the city,” the user wrote. A number of police forces, including the Ottawa city police, the Ontario provincial police, the Royal Canadian Mounted police and the Sûreté du Québec, participated in the operation to clear the streets.

Others were told, often by protest leaders and organizers, the police supported their movement.

“They honestly believe that all of Canada supports them. And so it’s shocking to them to learn they aren’t seen as heroes,” said Carmen Celestini, a postdoctoral fellow with the Disinformation Project at Simon Fraser University, adding that many believed police officers were on their side.

“And now they’ve realized that’s not true.”

Police arrested nearly all protest leaders who called on demonstrators to “hold the line”. But the perceived ease with which some handed themselves over sparked a sense of betrayal. One user on a Telegram group accused Tamara Lich, the lead fundraiser, of having ties to the financier George Soros.

“A lot of patriotic Canadian[s] were duped into believing this [convoy] was real,” the user wrote.

Benjamin Dichter, a protest leader, called on supporters to stand their ground but left Ottawa before he could be arrested. His decision prompted one Telegram user to call him a “globalist operative subverting the freedom convoy”.

“Influential figures were really pushing disinformation to keep the protesters there,” said Celestini.

“But even though they told supporters to ‘hold the line’, they really didn’t have a plan for what to do when arrests occurred. The leaders knew that they would have an escape plan and that they’d be OK. But their decision to leaving their supporters out there to face the consequences helps you see their character.”
Old 02-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #1119
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

BTW - the remaining people are getting smarter. They are now gathering in multiple places just outside the red zone where the EM do not apply. So there are about 100, maybe 200 at the War Museum.

You can watch the shenanigans here:
https://www.twitch.tv/markeast
Old 02-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #1120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
BTW - the remaining people are getting smarter. They are now gathering in multiple places just outside the red zone where the EM do not apply. So there are about 100, maybe 200 at the War Museum.

You can watch the shenanigans here:
https://www.twitch.tv/markeast
Sooo.....are you doing a full 'Planet of the Apes' thing where you run them down on horseback and catch them in nets?

Or is it more of a 'releasing the dog-catchers with a longer stick and bigger ropes' kind of thing?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote