Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2023, 07:59 PM   #1101
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spending in january will be interesting

I'd be surprised if the current top 5 dropped out of it by end of the year

Doubt man city or liverpool spend much if anything, I see man city just bought an 18 year old who's not coming for a year

Aston villa probly a few small signing

Spurs should be a little busy, and under paratici have done great in the january window, I'd be happy with a centerback and maybe a veteran attacker, if bought early enough with son gone.

Arsenal badly need a striker, but January not the best time to get someone of this level, be interesting what they do
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:01 PM   #1102
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man united should probably wait until the summer and a new manager

Newcastle are going to spend big, question is if it's now or the window, I think they make 1 big buy and rest in summer

West ham have done great under moyes, they need some depth and if they do Europe is a real possibility

Chelsea who knows, boehly spends like a drunken sailor on 24 hour leave
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:11 PM   #1103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know about Liverpool. Klopp says that they're going to stand pat and they can probably swing that, but the Matip injury while still being in all of these tournaments could leave them a little short.

I know Klopp has a lot of confidence in Gomez all along the back 4 but I dont. He's far too erratic for my liking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 09:44 AM   #1104
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Man united should probably wait until the summer and a new manager
Yup. Managerial change will change nothing.

Another of their great signings Donny has gone out on loan to Frankfurt. Unbelievable the money they've spent on p players that aren't close to the level required.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:00 PM   #1105
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite the game that occurred with Liverpool / Newcastle.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM   #1106
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Quite the game that occurred with Liverpool / Newcastle.
That was a helluva second half...its like both teams just decided to slam the gas all the way to the floor.

And now we've got a title race. It is tight!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 03:06 PM   #1107
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That was dominance by Liverpool, was a flattering scoreline for Newcastle.

Salah with two goals, an assist, and also a brilliant pass for the hockey assist on the other goal. Man will we miss him dearly while he is at AFCON.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 03:12 PM   #1108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post

Salah with two goals, an assist, and also a brilliant pass for the hockey assist on the other goal. Man will we miss him dearly while he is at AFCON.
I was going to say the same thing.

And not just his offensive threat and contribution, but his fire. When that game sunk into a lull he practically single-handedly dragged them into it.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:17 PM   #1109
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How many league matches will he miss?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #1110
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
How many league matches will he miss?
I read it could be up to 4 league game and 3 cup games depending on how far Egypt go. I didn’t check that info myself though.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #1111
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

He is an interesting player because he seems to eff up 2-3 plays and I think how is this guy always so overrated and getting the goals he does. Then he makes 4-5 plays and I am reminded why he is one of the top players, even if typing that makes me want to vomit.

Liverpool have set themselves up that they should be able to get by without him but when you watch he does so much for them to create chances.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:16 PM   #1112
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read it could be up to 4 league game and 3 cup games depending on how far Egypt go. I didn’t check that info myself though.
Thats my understanding too.

We have coverage at striker but Darwin's gotta stop doing his best 'Huberdeau' impression and actually start converting.

It might actually be good if, with Salah gone, Darwin gets a consistent run of games.

And hopefully Jota can stay fit. A healthy Jota is a very, very dangerous player.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:33 PM   #1113
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jota is the only way I can deal with Salah gone. Darwin is a good trigger man, not the guy that carries a game. Hoping Gakpo can step it up a notch too.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:44 PM   #1114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Jota is the only way I can deal with Salah gone. Darwin is a good trigger man, not the guy that carries a game. Hoping Gakpo can step it up a notch too.
I want more from Gravenberch.

But seriously, I think Klopp's got to mix it up. With Salah gone, I think a front 3 of Diaz-Darwin-Jota could be dynamic.

Jota and Diaz are so versatile but Darwin's gotta hit the goddamned net.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:56 PM   #1115
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...just fun anecdote about today's match because it was POURING rain.

When I was a youth soccer coach I wouldnt cancel practices on account of rain. Never. Its raining? I dont care.

One day all of the parents got together to complain that they had to send their kids out to practices in the rain, their kids got all wet, etc.

I don't care. I'm out here too. We get so limited practice time...we cant cancel it on account of some rain. A little water never hurt anyone...

And then my assistant coach chimes in. Think of: "Stereotypical Gigantic British Man from the midlands." And he just yells at them:

"OY! In ENGLAND, if ya dont want to play footy in the rain then YOU'D NEVER PLAY!!"

And that was the end of that. No more complaints.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:51 AM   #1116
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

A quick update from the Championship - Wayne Rooney is out at Birmingham after 15 games as manager.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742139546815365192
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #1117
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great player.... Terrible manager. Everywhere he went he was constantly just asking for more transfers and under performing. After he destroyed Derby I am surprised he got another job. Their books were ugly but for a long stretch he had one of the biggest payrolls and best squads in the champ before they imploded, they bet big on getting back into the prem with him and were left a wreck. Sounds like Birmingham are chasing Cooper now.

Crazy what a tightrope the championship has become, feels like there are regularly 2 or 3 big clubs in League one who are drawing 20K-ish or more a game regularly now and you see smaller clubs that are traditionally at that level like Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton in the prem, though looking at the likes of Swansea and Blackpool these days those Cinderella stories only seem to last so long.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:22 PM   #1118
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forest might face a points deduction. Presumably due to Everton, they changed the reporting this year so clubs had to report for the end of December and any charges are to come within a month. It used to be that they had until the end of March (which is why Everton was charged this year for issues last year.

And…Everton could be looking at a points deduction for this report as well!

The issue for Forest is that they have a limit of £60m in losses allowable (because they were in the Football League a few years ago), and the sale of Johnson to Spurs was in September. I think they needed that to happen before the end of June to escape this. Honestly, it seems pretty small to hit them for this kind of thing…they should move that date for compliance to coincide with the window closing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:50 PM   #1119
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Didn’t they buy 23 players or something insane like that?

The FFP rules seem pretty silly especially when they are never enforced anyways so seems harsh to punish these small teams while ignoring everything else.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:00 PM   #1120
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Didn’t they buy 23 players or something insane like that?

The FFP rules seem pretty silly especially when they are never enforced anyways so seems harsh to punish these small teams while ignoring everything else.
Yeah they bought a pile of players and that’s why they had to sell Johnson. Which isn’t entirely unlike the current Chelsea predicament and why they’re considering selling Gallagher.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote