Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #11121
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But you were responding directly to my post with this comment (maybe because of the Raptors avatar?). I'm not from Ontario and only cheer for the Flames.

My comment was strictly based on the fact that Brodie and Bennett for Gardiner and Nylander wouldn't happen.
Just what a Leafs fan would say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #11122
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Just what a Leafs fan would say.
I actually know Jayswin. We became friends when he first moved here from Toronto
Old 04-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #11123
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I actually know Jayswin. We became friends when he first moved here from Toronto
I've heard he has a huge tattoo of Harold Ballard on his back.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #11124
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Ha! I think we actually became friends from my long stays at your house due to your family's modern day morals surrounding drinking and driving.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-28-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #11125
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ha! I think we actually became friends from my long stays at your house due to your family's modern day morals surrounding drinking and driving.
Remember that leafs fan that you ran up to at the saddledome and booed loudly right in his face?

Normally this isn’t something I would remember but the fan happened to be about 6 years old and holding his dads hand
The Following User Says Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #11126
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Remember that leafs fan that you ran up to at the saddledome and booed loudly right in his face?

Normally this isn’t something I would remember but the fan happened to be about 6 years old and holding his dads hand
I remember not being able to walk in a straight line and then just tensing up in anticipation of a completely deserved knock out punch.

EDIT: Although, I do remember security asking us to leave after a playoff game, we all stood up and you just sat in defiance as two security guards casually walked up one row behind you and pulled you up by your neck. It was such a random time for an act of defiance.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-28-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #11127
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennywalks View Post
Jake Gardiner is better than TJ Brodie.....
I’m far from the biggest Brodie fan but Brodie has had way more sustained good play on defense. Gardiner has always been terrible defensively Brodie has not.

Last edited by Beninho; 04-28-2018 at 08:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #11128
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I remember not being able to walk in a straight line and then just tensing up in anticipation of a completely deserved knock out punch.

EDIT: Although, I do remember security asking us to leave after a playoff game, we all stood up and you just sat in defiance as two security guards casually walked up one row behind you and pulled you up by your neck. It was such a random time for an act of defiance.
Ya we weren’t that smart back then were we
Old 04-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #11129
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been thinking of a buy low trade that mite be an option to pursue. Alex Nylander has struggled to live up to his reputation since being drafted. Buffalo is weak at the RD position and may be willing to trade a struggling Nylander to help that position. What about a trade around.

Adam Fox for Alex Nylander

We buy low and sell from a position of strength. There is the risk that Nylander doesn't live up to his draft hype. Fox is also a risk for us to hold onto as he may walk for free as a UFA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #11130
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tobias Reider...he is an RFA this year and might not get qualified. If he takes a cheap deal, I think he would be a fantastic addition to the bottom six. Also gives Treliving some flexibility to trade Frolik and recoup a few picks this year.

Bottom 6
Ferland-Backlund-Foo
Hathaway-Shore-Rieder
Klimchuk and Lazar

(I would use Brodie+Bennett+Mangiapane as the package for a top 6 winger)

Last edited by keenan87; 04-29-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #11131
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Tobias Rieder will certainly be qualified. The Kings gave up decent value for him

Old 04-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #11132
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tobias Rieder will certainly be qualified. The Kings gave up decent value for him
He makes ~2.5sh mil.. so he would need to be qualified for higher than that right? The Kings aren't exactly in the best spot capwise.

I understand your point though. Just thought we could maybe sneak him out kinda like Glencross a bunch of years ago. I also really like his play.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #11133
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
He makes ~2.5sh mil.. so he would need to be qualified for higher than that right? The Kings aren't exactly in the best spot capwise.

I understand your point though. Just thought we could maybe sneak him out kinda like Glencross a bunch of years ago. I also really like his play.
Tobias Rieder Qualifying Offer
SALARY:$2,450,000
SIGNING BONUS:$0
BASE SALARY:$2,450,000
MULTIPLICATION FACTOR:100%
QUALIFYING OFFER:$2,450,000
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #11134
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk falls to 5th...

Brodie + Bennett

For

Domi + Tkachuk

Do you do that?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #11135
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Tkachuk falls to 5th...

Brodie + Bennett

For

Domi + Tkachuk

Do you do that?
Well first, going back to how overrated Brady has become, you don't want to give up what it would take to grab the 5th overall pick if he's the selection.

Secondly, if you were going to do what it takes to get the fifth overall pick, you're going to pay the going rate for a top 5 pick, and it's not that, not even close.

Domi is a higher value prospect than Bennett now. So you're basically insinuating that Brodie is worth the 5th OA pick PLUS a prospect upgrade for the Flames.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-29-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #11136
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Tkachuk falls to 5th...

Brodie + Bennett

For

Domi + Tkachuk

Do you do that?
I would do that deal in a heartbeat
Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #11137
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I've been thinking of a buy low trade that mite be an option to pursue. Alex Nylander has struggled to live up to his reputation since being drafted. Buffalo is weak at the RD position and may be willing to trade a struggling Nylander to help that position. What about a trade around.

Adam Fox for Alex Nylander

We buy low and sell from a position of strength. There is the risk that Nylander doesn't live up to his draft hype. Fox is also a risk for us to hold onto as he may walk for free as a UFA.

Nylander just had a pretty bad AHL season by all accounts.

If we’re targeting a player like that, then it should be Sprong.

Fox is an high-end prospect, Nylander plays a lesser position and did not have a good development year. I don’t make that trade at all. You take the risk with Fox, or you target a better prospect than Nylander.

Fox for Nylander is not buying low. It’s paying a huge price.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #11138
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Nylander just had a pretty bad AHL season by all accounts.

If we’re targeting a player like that, then it should be Sprong.

Fox is an high-end prospect, Nylander plays a lesser position and did not have a good development year. I don’t make that trade at all. You take the risk with Fox, or you target a better prospect than Nylander.

Fox for Nylander is not buying low. It’s paying a huge price.
I'm all in on selling Fox, as his likelihood of testing FA is extremely high after going back this season and will likely be cemented in 11 months.

However, he's already a flight risk in NHL circles, GM's know the deal, so I'd rather use him as a sweetener in a major trade (like say ROR) than getting some project or minor return on his own.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #11139
jayswin

Exp:

What does everyone think of a Corey Perry trade with significant salary retained? I'll admit I was completely against the idea when it was first brought up but that was based on his $8.6mil salary.

I think Anaheim will be getting desperate to clear some aging salary (Perry/Getzlaf = $16.5mil/yr) and we could benefit from it. He is dropping off for sure, but his drop off is from a 30-40 goal scorer to a 20 goal/50 point player the last two seasons.

If we could get them to retain say $2.5mil and it didn't require a huge asset going the other way is there any interest in a 20 goal/50 point, but declining Perry for three years at around $6mil?
Old 04-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #11140
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What does everyone think of a Corey Perry trade with significant salary retained? I'll admit I was completely against the idea when it was first brought up but that was based on his $8.6mil salary.

I think Anaheim will be getting desperate to clear some aging salary (Perry/Getzlaf = $16.5mil/yr) and we could benefit from it. He is dropping off for sure, but his drop off is from a 30-40 goal scorer to a 20 goal/50 point player the last two seasons.

If we could get them to retain say $2.5mil and it didn't require a huge asset going the other way is there any interest in a 20 goal/50 point, but declining Perry for three years at around $6mil?
Skating has always been his issue and the game keeps getting faster and faster. I'd rather go for Getzlaff.