Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #11021
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Oh boy... Also saw it pop up on Ground News with various sources such as Al Jazeera, Reuters, etc.

I imagine if it's true, this is only going to lead to a pretty big escalation from Russia, no?
No. Russia has nothing to escalate with. They've been doing absolutely everything they can already for a long time now.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #11022
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
No. Russia has nothing to escalate with. They've been doing absolutely everything they can already for a long time now.
If they tout this as an 'assassination attempt' then maybe Zelensky and government buildings are now 'valid targets'.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:02 PM   #11023
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

A seat of government would be a valid target in a war. Of course, this war is illegal so I don't know.

Not that it matters anyway. They've been trying to kill Zelenskyy since Day 1.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #11024
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

More commentators weigh in on why this is a false flag operation by Russia. All CCTV around the Kremlin is controlled directly by the State, footage would only have been released if the FSB wanted it to be leaked/released and they have never admitted being hit in such a hugely embarrassing way willingly in the past before i.e. with the Moskva having an "internal fire and ammo explosion" press releases. Several powerful air defense systems were installed a few months back to counter the threat of drones after the Moskva sinking that were within 2KM of the flight path the drone supposedly took to hit the Kremlin.

For the attack to happen as claimed, all AA site operators were asleep or all the AA systems were broken, and Kremlin confirmed a highly embarrassing and brazen attack on the heart of their capital with high definition color CCTV cameras they control within the hour of the attack, w/ cameras pointed exactly where they wanted. Kremlin would never admit such weakness, if the attack came from Ukraine and there are a lot of coincidences there.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1653760990469554177
https://twitter.com/PutinIsAVirus/st...80980224671745
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:31 PM   #11025
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

New stamp launched by Ukraine to commemorate last night's attack

Assuming this account is legit

https://twitter.com/user/status/1653769407099707395
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:56 PM   #11026
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know one way or the other, but I would think that if they wanted to hit the Kremlin, they would hit them a hell of a lot harder than that.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #11027
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its just weird.

I keep looking for tracers, or the streak from an igniting missile engine, but I'm not seeing that. The drone blows up above the dome like on its own.

I don't know maybe my conspiracy theory tinfoil hat is on too tight, but it looks like a self blow up, and unless it was packed with GI Joe style titanium rods an object like that isn't capable of doing any real damage to that dome.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #11028
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its just weird.

I keep looking for tracers, or the streak from an igniting missile engine, but I'm not seeing that. The drone blows up above the dome like on its own.

I don't know maybe my conspiracy theory tinfoil hat is on too tight, but it looks like a self blow up, and unless it was packed with GI Joe style titanium rods an object like that isn't capable of doing any real damage to that dome.
On CNN, they said that it was shot just before it hit the dome. but the lack of tracers seems odd.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:43 AM   #11029
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

If the U.S. was behind that at all and wanted to hit the Kremlin it would be gone.

Quote:
"Attempts to disown this, both in Kyiv and in Washington, are, of course, absolutely ridiculous. We know very well that decisions about such actions, about such terrorist attacks, are made not in Kyiv but in Washington," said Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov.

He said the United States was "undoubtedly" behind the incident and added - again without stating evidence - that Washington often selected both the targets for Ukraine to attack, and the means to attack them.

"This is also often dictated from across the ocean ... In Washington they must clearly understand that we know this," Peskov said.
https://www.reuters.com/world/russia...ck-2023-05-04/
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #11030
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sort of serious question - why are the Russians so bad at all of this?

Like, I'm not ignorant to the fact that there have been and are great Russian minds throughout history... Why on earth are there so many obvious ineptitudes on display through all of this? Like, the 3 SIM cards - that was laughable, but also believable as it could boil down to some idiot in the field... But things like this "assassination attempt" on the Kremlin... Who looks at that and thinks 'that's good enough to show the world' and who do they think they're fooling?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #11031
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

Like, I'm not ignorant to the fact that there have been and are great Russian minds throughout history... Why on earth are there so many obvious ineptitudes on display through all of this? Like, the 3 SIM cards - that was laughable, but also believable as it could boil down to some idiot in the field... But things like this "assassination attempt" on the Kremlin... Who looks at that and thinks 'that's good enough to show the world' and who do they think they're fooling?
Russian domestic audience to justify another round of mobilizations and counter the Ukrainian counter offensive. We've seen US rubes gullible enough to believe GOP lies, there are arguably much more of that type of person in Russia.

We've seen throwing meat at the Ukrainians manage to stall the counter offensives last year in Kharkiv and Donbass, at a cost of 100K Russian casualties... looks like they are aiming to do the same again.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 11:05 AM   #11032
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a hard time believing the Russians think they're fooling anyone on the international stage, and I don't think they particularly care how they're perceived.

Mostly I think they are posturing for their own people, to keep control and gain support for the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Creating "existential threats" against Mother Russia is one of their tools.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #11033
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's as a result of decades of all decisions being made centrally rather than by the people closest to the actual situation. That and a deeply ingrained culture of fear, that if you don't exactly follow a direct order to the letter there will be severe consequences. I think those two reasons are primarily why the USSR failed and why any heavily centrally planned society is eventually doomed to file.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:22 PM   #11034
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Russia invades Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I think it's as a result of decades of all decisions being made centrally rather than by the people closest to the actual situation. That and a deeply ingrained culture of fear, that if you don't exactly follow a direct order to the letter there will be severe consequences. I think those two reasons are primarily why the USSR failed and why any heavily centrally planned society is eventually doomed to file.

Yep, and it’s exactly why they are not gaining any ground in Ukraine, and why they’d get absolutely dummied by NATO militaries.

They are paralyzed by the culture of centralized decision making, which more often than not, is incompetent and corrupt.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:38 PM   #11035
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
A seat of government would be a valid target in a war. Of course, this war is illegal so I don't know.

Not that it matters anyway. They've been trying to kill Zelenskyy since Day 1.
Yes, but they've 'officially' refrained from direct attacks on Ukrainian leadership. This could give them 'justification' for actual missile strikes.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #11036
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Russian domestic audience to justify another round of mobilizations and counter the Ukrainian counter offensive. We've seen US rubes gullible enough to believe GOP lies, there are arguably much more of that type of person in Russia.

We've seen throwing meat at the Ukrainians manage to stall the counter offensives last year in Kharkiv and Donbass, at a cost of 100K Russian casualties... looks like they are aiming to do the same again.
How many times can they scrape that barrel? The prisons must already be emptied of desperate prisoners willing to die to avoid living out their life sentences.

I guess every year they have a new cohort of a 1 million or so (maybe less) males turning 18 that they can coerce into joining?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #11037
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Yes, but they've 'officially' refrained from direct attacks on Ukrainian leadership. This could give them 'justification' for actual missile strikes.
They had all kinds of plans to capture and/or assassinate Zelensky already and have failed
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #11038
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
They had all kinds of plans to capture and/or assassinate Zelensky already and have failed

I’m aware of that, but those were all ‘clandestine’, though like most Russian actions completely obvious. The potential is to escalate to open decapitation attempts.

If someone ‘attacks your capital’ in an ‘obvious assassination attempt’ the ‘natural reaction’ would be to retaliate in kind. (quotes indicate propaganda BS)
Old 05-04-2023, 02:01 PM   #11039
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I’m aware of that, but those were all ‘clandestine’, though like most Russian actions completely obvious. The potential is to escalate to open decapitation attempts.

If someone ‘attacks your capital’ in an ‘obvious assassination attempt’ the ‘natural reaction’ would be to retaliate in kind. (quotes indicate propaganda BS)
Right, but the international audience won't care and doesn't believe it, and if they had the capabilities they would've done it already without this "justification". Makes more sense that this is to shore up support for the "special military operation".

"They tried to kill the Fuhre... I mean our president! You can't be against punishing them!"
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #11040
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Russian and earlier the Eastern Bloc were always a "paper dragon". Their Nuclear threat is what made them scary.

I was never scared or concerned with any Eastern Bloc armies. They were/are all #### compared to their NATO counterparts.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks