Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 03:49 AM   #1081
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get a good package, why not trade Hanifin? We have Weegar and Andersson to usher in any youngsters we bring in.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 04:07 AM   #1082
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been proposing Kuz + 1st for Lindy for a long time and really surprised with the return.

Great job Conroy!
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:14 AM   #1083
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The Canucks are a legit contender this year so if I was a Canucks fan, I'd be happy with the deal. I think Lindholm, despite his under production so far this season, moves the needle on any team. If the Flames were in the same position, I'd want to go for it this season and wouldn't mind giving up futures.
Lindholm hasn’t moved the needle his whole career in the playoffs as the Flames. It’s his contract year so he may be motivated but again he hasn’t done #### all year.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:16 AM   #1084
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
If you can get a good package, why not trade Hanifin? We have Weegar and Andersson to usher in any youngsters we bring in.
Like Lindholm, he would be gone on a good offer.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:53 AM   #1085
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott Wheeler on Joni Jurmo last January ... had him at #3 at Canucks prospects back then:

Quote:
3. Joni Jurmo, LHD, 20 (Jukurit)

Jurmo is a fascinating project as a massive human who can really move. His north-south skating is really quite impressive for a 6-foot-4, 200-pound defenceman, and he uses it a lot (sometimes too much). As a result, he’s very noticeable out there (for good and bad reasons at times). The raw tools have always been appealing. He has shown, against his peers, that he can drive the game at both ends and hold the puck a lot, especially again for a player his size. Some of that has been coached out of him along the way with different teams/at different levels, but I think it’s important that the Canucks develop him for who he is: a very active, involved player who can be a transition monster when he’s playing with confidence with the puck, showing eagerness to join the rush, and using his feet to pull away from pressure. It’s going to come with some warts and some mistakes (he’s prone to bobble in control) but he’s slowly learning to think the game more consistently and force less, and that will continue with reps. There’s still work to do on his pivots and his attention to detail but he’s only 20; there’s no rush, there’s a lot to work with. As long as he’s taking steps forward instead of back, he’ll remain relevant. He may never play an NHL game (the Canucks still haven’t signed him) but I’d want to work with him and see if he can be lightly moulded into an NHL defenceman.
Brzustewicz is easily the centre piece for me, but if Jurmo can somewhat pan out as a bottom-pairing defenseman, that's gravy.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 05:00 AM   #1086
SaskUke
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
A pretty diverse cast here.

French (parents from France) - Belorussian, Russian

? - Lebanese - Slovakian

Italian - Swedish - American
Pretty sure Zary is Ukrainian-Canadian.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
SaskUke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:31 AM   #1087
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I’ve maintained for years that you need at least 20 high quality prospects in your organization in order to successfully rebuild.

Honzek, Morin, Suniev, Wolf, Poirier, Pelletier, Coronato, Zary, and now Hunter are on that list. Still have a long way to go, with only 9 names on the list.

Having two firsts and a second will help. Perhaps the two thirds also.
It's more about quality over quantity. Our best prospect so far is Zary, and even he hasn't shown anything like being a franchise level player, yet anyways.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 05:37 AM   #1088
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Scott Wheeler on Joni Jurmo last January ... had him at #3 at Canucks prospects back then:

Brzustewicz is easily the centre piece for me, but if Jurmo can somewhat pan out as a bottom-pairing defenseman, that's gravy.
Jurmo can become an excellent defenceman when in a room with Tanev and Weegar .
If Raz and Shill can help in his development as well he's in the right place.

I'll.take a.big bruising mobile smart defenceman any day. As long as his personal opinions on coaching and team mates stays out of his mouth and isn't spewed to the world during soapbox moments were likely good.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:53 AM   #1089
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's both, and they are intertwined ... the more picks you have, the greater the chance to hit quality. That's where Treliving and his trades come in, this franchise has just been bleeding picks and in 2022, they've effectively skipped a whole draft class (unless Ronni clears his name or Bell takes a giant leap). Conroy has done a decent job restocking the boards so far - adding two more good 2023 picks/prospects in Suniev and now Brzustewicz is a great start, as is the Canucks 1st obviously. Now add more picks and prospects for Tanev and Hanifin, please.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 06:13 AM   #1090
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I notice Jurmo was drafted in 2020. That means the Flames have to sign him before June 1 or he'll become a UFA.

They have until June 1, 2025 to get Brzustewicz signed. As a late 2004 birth, he can play in the AHL next year (same as Honzek and Lipinski, also from last year's draft). I suspect they'll know pretty quickly if he isn't willing to sign and flip him somewhere this summer if they can't get him signed.
I'm reasonably happy with the trade but both of these players being unsigned kind of throws a bit of an extra layer on the trade as history hasn't been kind when it comes to unsigned Flames defense prospects. Hopefully Conroy and Co. can make good sales pitches to these guys and pivot quickly if the players don't commit.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:15 AM   #1091
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked Jason Bukala’s analysis of the trade. I would obviously like to think there’s more upside in Brzustewicz, but overall, the article seems balanced and accurate.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...uzmenko-trade/

The Kitchener Rangers’ play-by-play guy uses Ryan Ellis as an NHL comparable.

Last edited by Nelson; 02-01-2024 at 06:24 AM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:19 AM   #1092
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm reasonably happy with the trade but both of these players being unsigned kind of throws a bit of an extra layer on the trade as history hasn't been kind when it comes to unsigned Flames defense prospects. Hopefully Conroy and Co. can make good sales pitches to these guys and pivot quickly if the players don't commit.
Brzustewicz not being signed at this stage is a non-issue ... most 2023 picks are unsigned at this point. Conroy also mentioned Brzustewicz and his camp are happy withe trade. And I doubt signing Jurmo is an issue either, he'll surely be happy to get an NHL contract if the Flames offer one.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:26 AM   #1093
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love the return and the fact that we didn't let him go for nothing. Especially good since it is division and the return was strong.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:26 AM   #1094
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If I’m not mistaken, and I don’t think I am, the best the Vancouver 1st could be is 24th overall if they remain in 1st place in the league. How I understand it, each round the teams knocked out are ranked in order of their overall ranking:

Pick #17 goes to the team with the lowest overall record of the first round losers
Pick #18 goes to the team with the second lowest overall record of the first round losers
Pick #24 goes to the team with the best record of the first round losers.

So if Vancouver is first in the league come playoff time, they will be the 24th overall in a first round exit scenario.

Same applies to second round and the last two rounds are combined.

On the Markstrom topic. They absolutely need to move him to NJ this year. This is the highest his value we will see considering a sell off now. Listening to many like Boomer and Pinder, some other well known insiders, he will fetch a haul. Getting anyone like a Holts or Mercer would be much needed. Conroy needs to fill a top line center position with the trading of Lindholm. A #1 center has to be in their plans. Even if the have to package a pick to get one. It’s a glaring hole and a 6th overall pick won’t fill that for a bit.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:30 AM   #1095
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuzmenko is one of the clowns who refused to wear a rainbow jersey.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:32 AM   #1096
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

no retention is also an interesting wrinkle. Could now potentially retain salary on both Tanev and Hanifin, AND use one slot should a trade for Mangiapane or Markstrom materialize. Not that I would expect the Flames to that route, but I would personally welcome it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 06:32 AM   #1097
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

That's a Russian culture thing. They interviewed many of them and most said the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Kuzmenko is one of the clowns who refused to wear a rainbow jersey.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:40 AM   #1098
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
That's a Russian culture thing. They interviewed many of them and most said the same.
Nah that’s a homophobic dickhead thing. If Zadorov can wear it, Kuzmenko can wear it.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:42 AM   #1099
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really excited for the return for Tanev, if the Flames turned down another 1st for him
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:43 AM   #1100
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Nah that’s a homophobic dickhead thing. If Zadorov can wear it, Kuzmenko can wear it.
Zadarov doesn't live back home in Russia. Easy for you to judge from your safe space. Maybe go to Russia for a month and put a pride shirt on daily. See how it goes for you.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote