Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #1081
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
he'll never be fired. I have resigned to the fact that he'll stay on until the end of the season.
Yearning for the attacking days of the David Moyes Era?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #1082
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
he'll never be fired. I have resigned to the fact that he'll stay on until the end of the season.
He might even see out his contract to the end of next season.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #1083
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He might even see out his contract to the end of next season.
I doubt it ... United will miss the top 4 this year and if that kills Moyes' United career, then there's no doubt it'll kill van Gaal's as well. Plus in the summer there'll be some good managers available (Antonio Conte amongst others).

If they somehow do make a change now, I think Jorge Sampaoli would be an interesting choice. He left Chile a few days ago and would be available.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #1084
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt it ... United will miss the top 4 this year and if that kills Moyes' United career, then there's no doubt it'll kill van Gaal's as well. Plus in the summer there'll be some good managers available (Antonio Conte amongst others).

If they somehow do make a change now, I think Jorge Sampaoli would be an interesting choice. He left Chile a few days ago and would be available.
See, I still dont see anyone considering it a 'career.' Hes a caretaker with little to no expectations. Granted, hes been given more money than any caretaker manager ever, but still. Its weird.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #1085
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Mourinho begs for United job, writes club a six page letter - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a6829971.html
Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #1086
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Mourinho begs for United job, writes club a six page letter - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a6829971.html
Oh please, please, please, please!!!!

Old 01-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #1087
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

ffs, the guy is desperate ...
Old 01-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #1088
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ffs, the guy is desperate ...
Help him out! Come on! You might get a CL title out of it! Sure there'll more than likely be some accompanying catastrophe but thats what makes it fun!

DO IT!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #1089
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Impressed with West Ham today. Moving into a big new stadium next year and more tv money = potential sleeping giant.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #1090
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"Hello! My name is Jose Mourinho! I am the special one! I am the manager of Manchester United!....I am fantastic!"....I'm for it!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #1091
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Catastrophic start for Arsenal. Their fans must love Diego Costa too.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #1092
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #1093
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
goal of the century
Seriously?

It was a good goal. Yes. But there are many as good if not better.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #1094
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap! A utterly pathetic United are 3 points about a perenially crapper Liverpool and their fans are gloating that they might improve on their manager?

Am I missing something? Has Klopp been lighting it up or something? Is his record this season with the same players better than Rodgers?

Old 01-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #1095
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
The finances issue is a bit different because of the current money influx in to the league

Arsenal got 90m from Emirates for 15 years of both stadium/shirt sponsor rights when the stadium opened

the KPMG report submitted to Haringey council on Spurs development project estimated they could get 300m over 10 years now on naming rights

Plus TV money now is so much higher, last year teams got 48m pounds in tv money, in the new tv deal its expected to go close to 90-100m, compared to 2003 when it was around 25-30m I believe.

do I think they will suddenly have the same financial power as United and Arsenal right away, no, but they won't be as limited as Arsenal were in that 7 year period either.
True but doesn't that mean that the richest also got richer?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #1096
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
True but doesn't that mean that the richest also got richer?
I think so. I watched a show a few weeks ago (I can't remember which one) and they did a "relegation special". It was really interesting because of the super high stakes involved with that new TV deal. I think that makes some of these clubs have so much money that you really wonder about how some of the newly promoted or bottom third clubs will ever compete.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #1097
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's get real here.

Not a hope in hell Bale returns to Spurs. He is a big club player and (I am not trolling here), let's face it, Spurs are not a big club. Not when their stadium was as big as the rest of the old division one, not now and not in the future. They're a top tier 2 club, like Newcastle.

And saying that he likes Spurs because of its location and proximity to Wales is just silly. Unless you're one of the NE teams or Norwich that applies to every other team in the PL. And, yeah, he says he really likes Spurs and hasn't ruled out the chance of a return. What is he going to say? The relationship was so good apparently that the club put a gag order on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I found reading that actual transfer contract quite interesting in general. Hilarious that Levy got a clause in there so that Bale couldn't say anything bad about the club or him.
Hilarious? I would say it's quite telling. There's a reason it's in there and it doesn't reflect well on Spurs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #1098
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Let's get real here.

Not a hope in hell Bale returns to Spurs. He is a big club player and (I am not trolling here), let's face it, Spurs are not a big club. Not when their stadium was as big as the rest of the old division one, not now and not in the future. They're a top tier 2 club, like Newcastle.

And saying that he likes Spurs because of its location and proximity to Wales is just silly. Unless you're one of the NE teams or Norwich that applies to every other team in the PL. And, yeah, he says he really likes Spurs and hasn't ruled out the chance of a return. What is he going to say? The relationship was so good apparently that the club put a gag order on him.

Hilarious? I would say it's quite telling. There's a reason it's in there and it doesn't reflect well on Spurs.
I agree that it probably doesn't reflect well, but I still think its amusing. I'm a supporter, but regardless, I still find things like that funny. Same would apply if there was a similar case with the Flames.

I don't agree that Spurs aren't a big club. I mean are they as big as Arsenal/City/ManU? Maybe not today. Once that stadium is built though I think its a game changer. It will be the largest in the league and that puts them on equal footing with the others. As you can see here there is some disparity with the facility fees but that should be addressed with that new stadium, and that puts them on par, basically. Performance is always going to matter, but a top four finish as the youngest team in the PL shows a bright future.

I also think that playing in the capital is a big deal because a lot of players would rather be there. Surely not everyone, but it still matters on some level to be in London as opposed to say...Southampton. Which I'm sure is lovely, but its not London.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #1099
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

according to the Guardian, van Gaal offered to resign on Saturday, but Woodward again convinced him to stay.

The level of stupidity and incompetence on the United board is just too damn high.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #1100
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't agree that Spurs aren't a big club. I mean are they as big as Arsenal/City/ManU? Maybe not today. Once that stadium is built though I think its a game changer. It will be the largest in the league and that puts them on equal footing with the others.
Match Day revenue is only a part of the picture. City is the latest club to get the title "Big Club" and they still lag behind the others in terms of commercial revenue. Even though they have moved to a new ground, their rise has required massive amounts of outside investment. Are the gate receipts at New WHL going be that much greater than Middle Eastlands? Are Spurs going to suddenly command commercial deals as large as United? With West Ham moving to a new ground as well, what makes Spurs better positioned than The Irons?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post: