Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #1081
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rogers unlocked 3GS works on Telus just fine, unlocked via software method way back in the day and it worked like a charm
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #1082
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anyone used a Gevey SIM to unlock their phone? My girlfriend is eyeing up a iphone 4S (16gb) being sold on Kijiji for $325 with a Gevey SIM to unlock it. Any thoughts on this?
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #1083
HELPNEEDED
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

anyone have any luck unlocking the i5?
HELPNEEDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #1084
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Comrade I would have the person unlock it for her before she buys it and make sure you pop her SIM card in to make sure it's unlocked. I have heard the Gevey sims work but never used one before. As far as the IPhone 5 I haven't heard of anyone successfully unlocking one yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #1085
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
Has anyone used a Gevey SIM to unlock their phone? My girlfriend is eyeing up a iphone 4S (16gb) being sold on Kijiji for $325 with a Gevey SIM to unlock it. Any thoughts on this?
Totally depends on which Gevey it is. The old ones were "tethered", meaning you have to prank call an emergency number every time you reboot to activate the unlock.

Apparently the "Ultra S" is untethered. My phones are factory unlocked so I haven't tried it myself. Always seemed dicey to me, but that's just my opinion.

I'd sell you a 16GB legit unlocked 4 (not S) for $75 cheaper and save you the headache. PM me if you're interested.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #1086
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to bump an oldie.

Does anyone who did upgrade to the iPhone 5 regret it?
I have a iPhone 4 and am due for an upgrade. Wondering if the 5 is worth the extra $100, plus new accessories, or if I should just stick with the 4S and not have to buy the adapters, new cases, etc.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #1087
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a 5 on launch day last September. Honestly, it is nothing special, a slightly larger screen, thinner and lighter. I don't see a lot of functionality improvements (maybe I am not a super power user thus I don't know).

If I were you I will wait for the 5S announcement (should be on the June WWDC) and get that.

It is too bad these days in which people are kind of tied up with certain OS (Android, iOS, etc) that they had invested so deeply in learning how to use them and getting apps.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #1088
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Sorry to bump an oldie.

Does anyone who did upgrade to the iPhone 5 regret it?
I have a iPhone 4 and am due for an upgrade. Wondering if the 5 is worth the extra $100, plus new accessories, or if I should just stick with the 4S and not have to buy the adapters, new cases, etc.
I'd say there isn't much difference between a 4, 4s or 5. Why not get an S4 or Nexus One instead. If it turns out you don't like Android then you can always sell it and continue to use your 4 or use the money to buy a 4s or 5. Try finding somebody that has gone from Apple to Android and wasn't happy. Most people who go from Apple to Android would have a tough time going back to Apple's less flexible ecosystem and banal user experience.

Last edited by Sliver; 04-24-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #1089
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

While I would also be tempted to wait for the 5s- the one thing I would not do is simply upgrade to the 4s. Such an insignificant difference between the 4 and 4s.

The biggest thing with the 5 is LTE coverage instead of 3G. Websites do not "load", they just appear.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #1090
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a huge factor, but having had a 5 for awhile and then picking up a 4.. man, the 5 is so light that even the 4s felt like a brick.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #1091
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

The biggest differences between the 4 and 5 that I've noticed. Much faster and much lighter. Camera is better. Panorama is neat. That's about it. Screen doesn't feel alot bigger.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #1092
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pros are LTE, larger screen, weight. It is so light I forget I am carrying it.

Cons, unlike others typing I dont like the camera. And I find the touch screen less responsive than my iPhone4. I make a lot more mistakes typing.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1093
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had an iphone 3GS, upgraded to a 4 which was a significant improvement. Upgraded from there to a 5 but I was not impressed. Returned the 5 and bought a Nexus 4 which I absolutely love. This is coming from a hardcore "i" guy.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #1094
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love my iPhone 5 personally...

getting great battery, great performance etc.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #1095
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Hopefully ios7 brings some good interface improvements.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #1096
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'd say there isn't much difference between a 4, 4s or 5. Why not get an S4 or Nexus One instead. If it turns out you don't like Android then you can always sell it and continue to use your 4 or use the money to buy a 4s or 5. Try finding somebody that has gone from Apple to Android and wasn't happy. Most people who go from Apple to Android would have a tough time going back to Apple's less flexible ecosystem and banal user experience.
I actually went out and bought the 4S. Cost me $79. Hooked it up and while it was trying to sync, I read these replies. I panicked, because you made a wicked point. I've always wanted to try out something other than an iPhone, but never have. My 4 still works fine, so I'm going to return this 4S tomorrow and try an something else. And like you said, worse case scenario, I don't like it and can fall back on my iPhone 4.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I just have to decide what Android to go with.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #1097
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite all the annoyance of the new cables for the iphone 5, it's crazy how fast the battery recharges. If I forget to plug it in overnight, I can just plug it in for five minutes in the morning and it gets enough of a charge to last me the morning.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #1098
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

A big and important difference between the 4 and 5 (not 4s and 5) is the incredible performance gap. My 4 runs like a pentium trying to run call of duty at times. I regularly want to burn this phone.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #1099
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had been reading that LTE was killing battery power pretty quick on the 5. Is this anyone else's experience? Do you ever drop to 4G inside the city?

Any rumours to what upgrades the 5s is going to have? I have the 3Gs right now but coming off contract sometime in June.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #1100
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
I had been reading that LTE was killing battery power pretty quick on the 5. Is this anyone else's experience? Do you ever drop to 4G inside the city?

Any rumours to what upgrades the 5s is going to have? I have the 3Gs right now but coming off contract sometime in June.
I don't know about that, but LTE was killing my Galaxy S3 to the point where I just turned it off as 4G is plenty fast for me to be streaming RDIO while using turn-by-turn navigation, which I would think are two reasonably heavy-data using things to do.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote