Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 12:06 PM   #1081
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Obviously its just anecdotal but that one poster had said he ran into Jarome and asked about Tij being a flame and Jarome seemed to love it. Who knows if his opinion has changed but I am choosing to believe Jarome would love it if we draft him

Matt Tkachuk likely got a lot of tips from his dad, that's why he was such a strong confident player. When Matt came in he knew how to agitate and score goals, He instantly had leadership qualities. That stuff he probably learned from his dad. He also grew up hanging around players in the NHL. Iggy's son is probably going to have the same advantages, and there's a good chance he will have the same kinds of abilities as he fills out. His dad knows what it takes and he understands what you need to do to score goals, it looks like his son is already picking this up quickly. I think it would be a mistake to miss out on this kid if he turns out a lot like his dad. I'd say if we pass on him we might regret it. Remember Iggy was very dominant and he could score at least 40 goals every season. I think it would be a mistake not to consider that you might have something there as a solid franchise player, Conroy Iand Iggy would make sure that he had every opportunity to be the very best he could. Iggy was instrumental and getting Conroy to raise his game, these guys are going to do the same thing for Tij.

The opportunity to land him is still going to be tough, but I bet he ends up being a very good player for whatwver team drafts him.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 01:40 PM   #1082
Solstice
Draft Pick

Agree with this ^

I’d rather risk him buckling under pressure than not give him a shot because we think he can’t handle the pressure. I’m sure if we draft him (regardless of which pick or where he ranks) it has been discussed prior that he would wear the C proudly. Connie and the current culture won’t make the mistake of bringing people here that don’t wanna be here; drafted or signed
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Solstice For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 02:28 PM   #1083
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
Agree with this ^

I’d rather risk him buckling under pressure than not give him a shot because we think he can’t handle the pressure. I’m sure if we draft him (regardless of which pick or where he ranks) it has been discussed prior that he would wear the C proudly. Connie and the current culture won’t make the mistake of bringing people here that don’t wanna be here; drafted or signed
And that’s another thing, with how many players have asked out, it’s not crazy to think the tie breaker will go to guys they believe will be proud flames. Some might think it’s dumb but I feel more confident in Iginla/yakemchuk staying here long term. Yakemchuk being a fort Mac kid currently playing for calgary

Catton is also a Saskatoon kid, I’m sure Zary would be happy to have him here
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM   #1084
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2026 is going to be a crazy draft year, kind of stoked our Vegas pick was deferred.

Not only McKenna but look up Viggo Bjork from Sweden, this guys breaking records left and right and was 40pts ahead of the next guy in his league this year.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:08 PM   #1085
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Then we draft Roger McQueen in 2025.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:17 PM   #1086
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
And that’s another thing, with how many players have asked out, it’s not crazy to think the tie breaker will go to guys they believe will be proud flames. Some might think it’s dumb but I feel more confident in Iginla/yakemchuk staying here long term. Yakemchuk being a fort Mac kid currently playing for calgary

If he is there the only guy in my eyes that would be a challenge is Dickinson.
Next center i have below him is Connely and Helenius.

If you have Catton and Helenius which would you take?
For me Catton but its close.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:39 PM   #1087
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
If he is there the only guy in my eyes that would be a challenge is Dickinson.
Next center i have below him is Connely and Helenius.

If you have Catton and Helenius which would you take?
For me Catton but its close.
Catton
Iginla
Helenius

But I think any of those 3 would be a solid pick. I just cant get a read on Helenius. I sorta think he wont be a game breaker in the same way as the other 2 but if we end up taking him I'll hope I'm wrong!
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #1088
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Lindstrom, Catton , Helenius then Iginla in that order

I hope we just win the lottery and get Cxelebrini. I think that would legit cut the rebuild/retool in half
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #1089
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradical View Post
Lindstrom, Catton , Helenius then Iginla in that order

I hope we just win the lottery and get Cxelebrini. I think that would legit cut the rebuild/retool in half
We really have to tank to make that even close to a reality.
Even then there’s no getting the best odds at this point
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #1090
PuckDemon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If we're trying for a Dallas-style retool, we really need 1 or 2 amazing drafts. Dallas was lucky enough to nab Heiskanen at 3rd overall when they jumped up from 8th in the lottery.

My dream scenario is we win 1st overall to take Celebrini, then take Iginla with New Jersey's pick from a Markstrom trade.
PuckDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:06 PM   #1091
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Idiots are abound and the press loves nothing more than bad news.

I for one would draft Connolly if he was the BPA, he said something stupid on the internet at 16. its not like he was forcing neurodivergent kids to eat candy out of a urinal.

But I understand why the Flames would be leery after Dube and Roni.
Did Connelly say something on the internet? Story I read was he took a picture of a friend of his that made a swastika out of LEGOs and posted it on the internet.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:14 PM   #1092
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If I'm his parent, I'd want him to be drafted by pretty much anyone else but Calgary (well apart from Edmonton). While there is something to be said for succeeding under pressure, it would just be at an unreasonable level here, especially if he developed slowly or things went off the rails (it would be Baertschi x100). Making the NHL, as the son of a legend, isn't easy as is...the extra risk just doesn't justify the reward of a "cool story" to me.
I don't understand this sentiment at all. I think if the Flames drafted this kid he'd be beloved by the fanbase. Even if he took a while to develop, I think the organization would be patient with him. As for pressure, there will be pressure either way. He's the son of a hall of fame player. Goes with the territory.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:44 PM   #1093
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

While the family is from northern Alberta Yak grew up for the most part in Calgary/ springbank- family lives here
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 06:51 PM   #1094
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
While the family is from northern Alberta Yak grew up for the most part in Calgary/ springbank- family lives here
Yup his team murdered our team every year from timbits to peewee, except for the final game.

His dad own the Burger King in fortmac. He is Springbank 100%

Last edited by fotze2; 03-14-2024 at 06:53 PM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:31 PM   #1095
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been fun digging around down the Vancouver pick. I'd throw a flyer at Hage
Old 03-14-2024, 09:30 PM   #1096
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's been fun digging around down the Vancouver pick. I'd throw a flyer at Hage
I would flip if we got Hage, but at the clip he’s been producing lately, he’s going to be gone at our pick. 17 points in his last 10 games, and 34 in his last 20. He’s up to 74 points in 56 games. Connelly has 59 points in 43 games, for a projected 75 points in 55 games. Hage is a center too, where Connelly is a LW.

Anyone who wanted TC could just pick up Hage, lol.

Last edited by Sandman; 03-14-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 09:49 PM   #1097
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I would flip if we got Hage, but at the clip he’s been producing lately, he’s going to be gone at our pick. 17 points in his last 10 games, and 34 in his last 20. He’s up to 74 points in 56 games. Connelly has 59 points in 43 games, for a projected 75 points in 55 games. Hage is a center too.

Anyone who wanted TC could just pick up Hage, lol.
I'm intrigued by Boisvert as well. But he looks like a long term Project. Much like Letourneau.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:17 PM   #1098
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm intrigued by Boisvert as well. But he looks like a long term Project. Much like Letourneau.
Matvei Gridin is being overlooked by many as well. 19 points in his last 10.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:39 PM   #1099
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandman, what do you have on Marek Vanacker? Sorry if you posted a profile and I missed it.

He is leading his OHL team in scoring as a 17 year old (77 point in 63 games), and is 2 years younger than the player who is 2nd on the team with 61 points. Decent size for a player his age.

Yet I see him ranked as a late 2nd rounder or even early 3rd rounder. I am wondering what the knock on him is.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:45 PM   #1100
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Sandman, what do you have on Marek Vanacker? Sorry if you posted a profile and I missed it.

He is leading his OHL team in scoring as a 17 year old (77 point in 63 games), and is 2 years younger than the player who is 2nd on the team with 61 points. Decent size for a player his age.

Yet I see him ranked as a late 2nd rounder or even early 3rd rounder. I am wondering what the knock on him is.
"LW Marek Vanacker (who is Canadian) might be slight in stature, at 6'0",165lbs, but I guess nobody told him that he couldn't be a power-forward. He fights, scratches, and claws for every inch of ice he can get, but he plays like he's 6'2" in the way that he leans into defenders to leverage his way to the middle, dishes out big hits, attacks the net-front, and competes along the walls and in the corners. He's very hard to play against, and plays with an edge. Vanacker has compiled 26 goals and 52 points in 45 games to date as the leading scorer for Brantford of the OHL, who currently sit 3rd overall, and 9th in goals-for.
Vanacker plays with a chip on his shoulder, and is highly agressive and competitive. Despite his size, he's a load to handle down low, and will not hesitate to bulldoze an opponent. He's an all-situations, all-around player who plays on the first units of both special teams for Brantford. Though he plays hard and heavy, his hands are butter soft- he's good around the net, and in tight. He owns a great shot with a neat and tidy release that can fool goaltenders. He protects well, and is strong on the puck. He reads the play quite well with his top-tier vision and IQ, and is said to be more playmaker than scorer, even though he currently has the same number of goals as assists. He can make plays off the rush, and pull off accurate passes at high speeds. Vanacker is a good skater, but there's room to improve, and it likely will as he gets stronger- but he could use a better first-step, more explosiveness, and a higher top speed. His energy and motor make up for some of this. Defensively, he backchecks as hard as he forechecks, and exerts the speed and tenacity to pressure attackers, and take away space. His stick has eyes to disrupt plays and clog passing lanes, and he's a pest- constantly buzzing in his opponents' faces.
There's not a ton of weaknesses in Vanacker's game, and some scouts think he has middle-six potential. He needs some time to get significantly stronger, as his style of play will be harder to apply to the NHL, and he has to clean up his skating. It would be nice if he could grow an inch or two as well. It's been said that he needs some work on his puck control, and skating with his head up (yikes). He's got an excellent two-way game, and some jam, so I could see him getting picked in the early half of the 2nd round."
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft