Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #1081
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You really think that award goes to someone based on their coaching ability? I guess Hartley is just being selective on his next opportunity. Good for him. I’m sure Feaster is too.
What a sad and pathetic life you must live to be so desperate to dismiss the success a guy had because it offends you.

He took a team that people expected to be battling for last place into the playoffs. That's worthy of credit. It's also true that his style wears on players rapidly. You can point to the latter as a valid reason for his dismissal while acknowledging the former, you know.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #1082
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
My character in outing you? Lol.

Are you so obtuse, to not allow the facts to come out first? Instead you jump to conclusions and victim blame. Inventing a narrative, that Aliu had ulterior motives.

So yes, you’re as guilty as the Facebook lot crapping on the lad. Good for you in recognizing that you were wrong, but understand you already spilled the milk.
Honestly, it did kind of reek of a bitter player at first glance and I’m sure many fans got that initial feel. Clearly some of us needed to see the numerous accusations poor in, in the following hours to get a better sense of understanding about the whole situation.

There is a huge difference between posting opinions here on CP and on Facebook. I expect that most posters on here are die hard flames fans and feel that we can have a proper debate or conversation about the team with out troll fly bys such as on facebook.

Try to be nice to each other! Sometimes we will have different thoughts or opinions. At the end of the day we are all die hard Flames fans here
Old 11-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #1083
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You really think that award goes to someone based on their coaching ability? I guess Hartley is just being selective on his next opportunity. Good for him. I’m sure Feaster is too.
I liked Hartley and was surprised he was fired, however, I'm not trying to lead the fan club here...

...but yeah, I specifically think that they give the award to the coach judged to have contributed the most to his team's success.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #1084
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, you’re a mess.
Can I just sidebar for a sec on garbage like this is?
Sorry to pick on you specifically, but there's a few Archive Masters out there with posts that add only animosity and humiliation, and I'm not sure why

But I saw a bunch of this as we started hearing more about what happened yesterday - and a few instances where someone would take a thought or opinion and push you into a corner to argue from. While I understand how some people got a little heated yesterday - often people seemed to have difficulty separating speculation, chat and ideas from hard-stances and beliefs.

Some of you guys treat every post as a researched hard-stance statement and not a thought or idea in a discussion. Then, plenty of news development and posts later someone thinks to remind you of what your thought process was. It really limits the amount people want to discuss here, and I see it all the time (not just speaking to CP btw, this is life) and I'm having a really hard time understanding the purpose of your post besides lambasting someone with posts from the 3rd page of a huge news story.

Last edited by Split98; 11-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #1085
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be really obvious that the Jack Adams is the "team we thought would be bad that won a lot" award. Last year was a rare occasion where that happened to overlap with a truly great coach. The Flames under Hartley sucked. They got the bounces for one year and won a bunch of games they didn't deserve to.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #1086
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It should be really obvious that the Jack Adams is the "team we thought would be bad that won a lot" award. Last year was a rare occasion where that happened to overlap with a truly great coach. The Flames under Hartley sucked. They got the bounces for one year and won a bunch of games they didn't deserve to.
I saw Treliving speak at event and he said (May have been reiterating a Burke quote): “it’s like we won the masters but had to sink 18 forty foot putts to do it”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #1087
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Jeez. I wonder if some people even like the Flames, be it now or ever

The Flames roster under Hartley was really bad. I mean downright terrible. They got no return for franchise players and capable veterans. Josh fricking Jooris was a poster boy for the team mantra

Hartley put together a game plan that worked for the roster he had. Yeah, it involves giving the outside, blocking a ton of shots, then a quick transition, stretch passes and odd man rushes with activated D

They were well conditioned and tenacious, and had a belief that if they were in a game going in to the third, they could pull it off. All of the third period comebacks were not simply a result of lucky bounces off someone’s ass
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #1088
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
What a sad and pathetic life you must live to be so desperate to dismiss the success a guy had because it offends you.

He took a team that people expected to be battling for last place into the playoffs. That's worthy of credit. It's also true that his style wears on players rapidly. You can point to the latter as a valid reason for his dismissal while acknowledging the former, you know.
A sad and pathetic life? Is this serious?

The Jack Adams award generally goes to the coach of the team who most exceeds expectations. I don’t particularly believe Hartley was a good coach. His success in that season however does not offend me. And again, I referred to how he was hired.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #1089
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Can I just sidebar for a sec on garbage like this is?
Sorry to pick on you specifically, but there's a few Archive Masters out there with posts that add only animosity and humiliation, and I'm not sure why

But I saw a bunch of this as we started hearing more about what happened yesterday - and a few instances where someone would take a thought or opinion and push you into a corner to argue from. While I understand how some people got a little heated yesterday - often people seemed to have difficulty separating speculation, chat and ideas from hard-stances and beliefs.

Some of you guys treat every post as a researched hard-stance statement and not a thought or idea in a discussion. Then, plenty of news development and posts later someone thinks to remind you of what your thought process was. It really limits the amount people want to discuss here, and I see it all the time (not just speaking to CP btw, this is life) and I'm having a really hard time understanding the purpose of your post besides lambasting someone with posts from the 3rd page of a huge news story.
Thanks for your input.

I think I take the victim blaming it a bit more seriously then.

My initial motivation isn't to immediately discredit those whom speak out. It's a systemic problem, and I'll fight that fire with fire.

Yeah, I will do it again.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1090
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why is this necessary?
Why can't people treat each other with a little more respect.
Is there a reason why you felt the need to tell him that he has a sad and pathetic life? What is sad and pathetic is treating another human being like that.
Can you not make your point without that?

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 11-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #1091
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

No, you don't. This isn't about victim blaming or you would not have cherry picked my posts to change the context of what I have said in this thread. We are not stupid. And yes, we know you will do your troll act again because that is what you do on here, you don't actually contribute to the board whatsoever. It is sad that there are posters that only come out of the woodwork whenever there is some way to stir the pot.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #1092
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, you don't. This isn't about victim blaming or you would not have cherry picked my posts to change the context of what I have said in this thread. We are not stupid. And yes, we know you will do your troll act again because that is what you do on here, you don't actually contribute to the board whatsoever. It is sad that there are posters that only come out of the woodwork whenever there is some way to stir the pot.
Condolences chief. I bet you don't victim blame, so readily next time.

A win in my books.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #1093
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Condolences chief. I bet you don't victim blame, so readily next time.

A win in my books.
No, it isn't a win because it outs you. You cherry picked my first post about questioning Aliu's motives and tried to say I was victim blaming while leaving out all the posts I made after the story was collaborated. You purposefully left out all the posts I stood up for Ailu against other posters like topfiverecords to change the whole narrative because we have a history. You think you won but you are actually making yourself look bad because everybody posting in the thread already has read all the content and can see what you did here. It is also really ####ty to try and say you are standing up against victim blaming to try and mask an obvious troll. If you were against victim blaming where were you earlier while I was defending Ailu? It is really pathetic and disturbing! I am done engaging you, you are really not worth the time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #1094
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

My initial motivation isn't to immediately discredit those whom speak out. It's a systemic problem, and I'll fight that fire with fire.

No, I'm sorry - but as someone who also takes victim blaming seriously it is important that OUR side is looking the right way
Asking questions about news stories as they're developing, and attacking a victim for coming forward are two separate things.

I feel like there's a big difference in speaking to the world (Twitter) or speaking around the topic (discussion forum on a thread specifically talking about it). There's a difference between discussing your opinion and sharing it with the public and the victim. I don't think that any questions here are shaping public opinion, nor do I think that many questions persisted as more light was shed on this story. A few teammates seeing it, and a more concise recalling from Akim pretty much put everything to bed.

However you see the posts though, I don't think that anyone should be classified as a 'victim blamer' for having some questions about an event that happened 11 years ago against a coach that had been hired to multiple high-level positions without a whiff of anything even close to what we've heard. It's nuts that this was hidden and awful that Peters treats racism with such little care - but it was a pretty big shock and some questions seem reasonable.

What I won't get in the way of is anyone that continues to have a problem with Akim coming forward. That, to me, is a victim blamer.

Last edited by Split98; 11-27-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #1095
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why is this necessary?
Why can't people treat each other with a little more respect.
Is there a reason why you felt the need to tell him that he has a sad and pathetic life? What is sad and pathetic is treating another human being like that.
Can you not make your point without that?
The only difference between what I did and what Strange Brew did is that I said what I did to my target's (digital) face rather than behind their back.

And yes, "I don't like this person, so I am going to trivialize or dismiss good things they did" is sad and pathetic.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #1096
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
No, I'm sorry - but as someone who also takes victim blaming seriously it is important that OUR side is looking the right way
Asking questions about news stories as they're developing, and attacking a victim for coming forward are two separate things.

I feel like there's a big difference in speaking to the world (Twitter) or speaking around the topic (discussion forum on a thread specifically talking about it). There's a difference between discussing your opinion and sharing it with the public and the victim. I don't think that any questions here are shaping public opinion, nor do I think that many questions persisted as more light was shed on this story. A few teammates seeing it, and a more concise recalling from Akim pretty much put everything to bed.

However you see the posts though, I don't think that anyone should be classified as a 'victim blamer' for having some questions about an event that happened 11 years ago against a coach that had been hired to multiple high-level positions without a whiff of anything even close to what we've heard. It's nuts that this was hidden and wild that he treats racism with such little care - but it was a pretty big shock and some questions seem reasonable.

What I won't get in the way of is anyone that continues to have a problem with Akim coming forward. That, to me, is a victim blamer.
I like this discourse. I will say I disagree with the bolded, and will leave it at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #1097
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only difference between what I did and what Strange Brew did is that I said what I did to my target's (digital) face rather than behind their back.

And yes, "I don't like this person, so I am going to trivialize or dismiss good things they did" is sad and pathetic.
You can think a statement is sad and pathetic for sure, but to suggest they must live a sad and pathetic life is just cruel and beyond unnecessary.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #1098
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I for one hopes Aliu gets a second chance at hockey. Always thought it was commendable for what he did to ahole Downie, and his stance on a effing pathetic ritual of hazing.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #1099
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not all heros wear capes.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #1100
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I for one hopes Aliu gets a second chance at hockey. Always thought it was commendable for what he did to ahole Downie, and his stance on a effing pathetic ritual of hazing.
I'm sure he could play somewhere if he wanted to. At some point grinding along on a bus doesn't have an appeal and you move on with life.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote