Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #1081
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I walked out my front door with my 2 year old yesterday to see a pit bull jaunting down our block - off-leash - with his owner about 20 feet behind.

I don't know what the solution is - because you can't account for the amount of idiot owners out there.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #1082
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07..._5589051.html?

Quote:
CALGARY - Calgary bylaw officers are investigating two separate dog attacks that left a woman injured and a poodle dead.

The first attack happened Friday evening when a woman was bitten on the face by and Australian cattle dog.

The owner of the dog had adopted it nine days earlier and turned it over to city officials, who were to do an assessment.

On Saturday morning, a woman was walking her poodle along a street when she met another woman walking two "pitbull-type" dogs.

Investigators say they owners let the dogs greet each other and then one of the larger dogs began biting and shaking the poodle.

A neighbour tried to stop the attack, but the poodle died after being taken to the vet.

Investigators want to speak with the owner of the larger dogs, who is described as Caucasian, between 30 and 40, with a petite build, blond hair and is possibly named Sarah.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #1083
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

A petite blond white chick in her 30s named Sarah? I know about 5. Don't bother narrowing it down to maybe a quadrant or a neighbourhood.

Oh, and I hate it when this thread gets bumped. Always means bad news.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #1084
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
A petite blond white chick in her 30s named Sarah? I know about 5. Don't bother narrowing it down to maybe a quadrant or a neighbourhood.

Oh, and I hate it when this thread gets bumped. Always means bad news.
You know 5 blond chicks in their 30s named Sarah, each with 2 Pit bull type dogs? You sure do have a specific type man...

Attack happened on Templehill Drive N.E. and Officers already had information the owner may be from Pine Ridge.
from the Calgary Herald.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #1085
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
You know 5 blond chicks in their 30s named Sarah, each with 2 Pit bull type dogs? You sure do have a specific type man...

Attack happened on Templehill Drive N.E. and Officers already had information the owner may be from Pine Ridge.
from the Calgary Herald.
I must be blind, because all I read was that she was with two dogs, and her name "might be" Sarah. Should I go back an re-read? Or did they add the Templehill Dr address after I posted?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #1086
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I must be blind, because all I read was that she was with two dogs, and her name "might be" Sarah. Should I go back an re-read? Or did they add the Templehill Dr address after I posted?
No, i got that from a separate article. I was just giving you the gears...
4X4
Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #1087
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
So what do people generaly think of pitties? I really want one find them to be good looking animals. I've owned an American Eskimo (super agrresive however due to size easy to handle).
What most people generally think of Pitbulls is what you see in here. They have an awful reputation, as all Bully types are very strong breeds, and some owners are not capable of handling such dogs.

If you're interested in owning a pitbull, do a lot of research.
This is a pretty good article, with some good info:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...bout-pit-bulls

Personally, I am a huge fan of Pitbulls, the American Pitbull Terrier in specific, and this will be the next breed I invest in. Pitbulls, or Bully breeds in general are incredible family dogs, so long as you know how to train them. They are loyal beyond belief, extremely gentle with children and other animals, and have the most ridiculous personalities.

I currently have an 85lb Olde English Bulldogge that is often mistaken to be a pitbull at the off leash parks, he tends to terrify people as he runs around like a lunatic to greet everyone, but once he approaches a person, and politely sits down a few feet in front of them, waiting to be pet, people adore him. He's been bitten by other dogs at the park several times, each time it has always been by a smaller breed, and he's never shown any aggression towards them in retaliation. The one and only time he has ever shown aggression towards another dog, is when a chihuahua nipped at my 4 year old sons leg at the park. He did not attack the Chihuahua, but he made it very clear that it was time for the chihuahua to get away from his boy, what made the situation even funnier, is the young woman who owned the Chihuahua was about 50 feet away when this happened, and came running when she saw my Bulldogge approach her dog, screaming at me to stop him from attacking her little dog (who had just tried to bite my son).

Those are the sorts of things you can look forward to with a Pitbull if you put in the time and train it properly.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #1088
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all the great dog breeds to choose from, I don't know why anyone would choose a dog bred to fight as their family pet. I'd like to see the breed slowly die out, instead it seems to be gaining in popularity which when a breed is over bred leads to more problems.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #1089
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

It is true that maybe they can be trained to be great pets by responsible owners.
But there are a lot of idiots out there.
The damage these breeds can do when things go wrong is the problem. A poodle goes ape-poop on a person or another dog and it doesn't really matter. A pit-bull loses it - you have a problem.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #1090
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
It is true that maybe they can be trained to be great pets by responsible owners.
But there are a lot of idiots out there.
The damage these breeds can do when things go wrong is the problem. A poodle goes ape-poop on a person or another dog and it doesn't really matter. A pit-bull loses it - you have a problem.
The whole problem with Pit Bulls is no matter how well behaved they are, if they snap for any reason, their natural instinct is to latch of and not let go. My stupid wiener dog has her moments, and is mega terrirotrial and has nipped at other dogs and a couple strangers. The issue is, if she managed to get a hold of someone or another dog, it will not be lethal, and she cannot rip someones face right off their skull. And getting her under control is as easy as tugging on her shoelace sized leash.

I have said it before in this thread, owning a pit bull is like a gun owner having a bazooka for home defense.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #1091
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I have run into some really sweet pit bulls. Well two anyway. But I don't know enough about the subject that I couldn't say for sure that they might not be a threat as they age. Sometimes animals get a little crazy when they age, dogs are no exception. Well, we do too.

I do think though, that a lot of people get the breed cause they want a vicious dog or a 'protection' dog, and so that problems dogs are more about the owner than the dog. Cause it starts right from the very concept of why they are getting the dog. And so even subconsciously, even if there aren't any big mistakes, they are looking at the dog and treating him differently than say a lap dog.

Last edited by Daradon; 07-16-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #1092
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

CPS officer shoots dog at SE home

Yes, it was a pit bull.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #1093
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
We have two in our neighborhood. Our attached neighbor was gardening in the front yard and the dogs had escaped and found her, she apparently was up on our porch using my sons bike as a weapon to fend them off.

Now I don't let the kids out to ride bikes alone.

I think the thing that bugs me the most about them is the cliche of them. The characteristics of the owners of these types of dogs has to be the most homogeneous of any group of people on the planet. Owners of pitbulls are so closely the same that they make the Duggar family look like a bunch of bastages.
At Bass Pro they sell dog repellent (pepper spray). I keep some at the front door for situations like this.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #1094
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I think the thing that bugs me the most about them is the cliche of them. The characteristics of the owners of these types of dogs has to be the most homogeneous of any group of people on the planet. Owners of pitbulls are so closely the same that they make the Duggar family look like a bunch of bastages.
From the news story: pit bull ... in Dover ... just saying ...
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #1095
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

And yet another attack today. A mastiff bit and maimed a little girl. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll link to it tomorrow.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #1096
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^
http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/To...278/story.html

Quote:
The two-year-old girl was taken to the South Calgary Urgent Care Centre in stable condition with “facial lacerations,” said EMS spokesman Adam Loria. She received three stitches for a wound in her lip, and was also treated for a small puncture under her eye and scratches to her face.

The dog was seized by animal and bylaw services. Charges are pending against the owner, who has refused to turn over ownership, said Murray. The dog is currently being held by animal and bylaw services for assessment.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #1097
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
With all the great dog breeds to choose from, I don't know why anyone would choose a dog bred to fight as their family pet. I'd like to see the breed slowly die out, instead it seems to be gaining in popularity which when a breed is over bred leads to more problems.
You know pit bull is not a Breed right? It is a term that refers to multiple different breeds. One of them Is the American Terrier. American bull type terrier's were actually bred for Cattle Herding. Any dog could have been made into fighting.
If your so pleased if they die off then do you fell the same about Retrievers and Labradors?? They attack more people then pit bulls. What about Dalmatians? There one of the top ten most dangerous dogs.

In the past Bull type terriers Often were called " The nanny dog" as they would be used to babysit children. Bull type terriers were also one of the First breeds used as Therapy dogs.

http://www.examiner.com/article/19-p...-as-nanny-dogs

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 07-17-2014 at 07:47 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #1098
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
At Bass Pro they sell dog repellent (pepper spray). I keep some at the front door for situations like this.
Dog spray doesn't work very well. Bear spray does tho.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #1099
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
You know pit bull is not a Breed right? It is a term that refers to multiple different breeds. One of them Is the American Terrier. American bull type terrier's were actually bred for Cattle Herding. Any dog could have been made into fighting.
If your so pleased if they die off then do you fell the same about Retrievers and Labradors?? They attack more people then pit bulls. What about Dalmatians? There one of the top ten most dangerous dogs.

In the past Bull type terriers Often were called " The nanny dog" as they would be used to babysit children. Bull type terriers were also one of the First breeds used as Therapy dogs.

http://www.examiner.com/article/19-p...-as-nanny-dogs
Ah another dumb photo showing a cute scene of a pit bull.
The truth is more like this.

Quote:
120 sites dedicated to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier include this phrase in support of the fighting nanny dog mythology,
"These dogs were renowned for their courage and tenacity and despite their ferocity in the pit were excellent companions and good with children. In fact it was not unknown for an injured dog to be transported home in a pram with the baby!"
Frankly, even if this anecdote were plausible, let alone true, this doesn't support a nanny dog claim so much as it supports a sociopathic, baby abusing, dog abusing parent claim.

Dig as hard as you want, the pram story is all you'll find to support the Nanny Dog myth in any of these sites. You won't find a single citation, quote or reference of any kind to a 19th century, or early 20th century text. Since the Staffordshire Bull Terrier enthusiasts didn't see fit to support their claims, I decided I would have to find the origin of the Nanny Dog myself.
http://thetruthaboutpitbulls.blogspo...-revealed.html

Quote:
From 2004 to 2010 59 US children were killed by the family's, babysitter's, neighbor's or friend's pit bull.

Last edited by Vulcan; 07-17-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #1100
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog attack puppy barking