Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #10841
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I will take the Eklund in the upcoming draft
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #10842
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
The best predictor of the future would be the past and Gaudreau’s past would suggest he’s one of the most talented and dynamic players in the league. He’s going to be just fine when he finds a center that can pull his own weight, then Gaudreau can play more off the puck, which I think would make him infinitely more dangerous because he can turn on a dime and cut well either side laterally.

It’s Monahan that’s going to be in trouble. He can’t create his own shot. His goal scoring career is predicated on someone passing him the puck in an opportune area, without that, he’s what we’re seeing today (3 even strength goals on the season). He’s basically the equivalent of James Neal at center. If he has no distributor, then he has no goals. Now to be fair, he’s vastly improved in the aggression and defensive effort side of his game, but I don’t think he’s ready for any type of 2 way, shut down role yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just don't see the situation as so clearly different for one player over the other. Prior to last season BOTH Gaudreau and Monahan were consistent, premiere players at their respective positions. BOTH exuded a tonne of chemistry and creativity for several years together. BOTH always looked better together than they did when they had to play with other players on the roster. You confidently assert based on Gaudreau's past that he will be just fine, while simultaneously ignoring Monahan's past—between his draft year and the end of 2019 he was the #31 highest scorer in the entire NHL—#18 among all centres.

It's a duo that once worked really well, and worked well for a pretty long time. It no longer works, and while I am not especially confident that either player can be as good as they once were, I would bet that both would benefit a lot from a change of scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-07-2021 at 11:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #10843
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moar small players that suck along the wall!!! Sutter will love him!!!
Old 04-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #10844
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I also found it really interesting, and depressing at the same time, when the conversation led them to the juncture of "moving core pieces" yet at the same time, noting that Sutter was brought here to win now.

There is no way I believe the flames are better next season or even the year after, if they move Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano. My belief is that though there may be salary coming back in any such deals, the core value would be in futures, as such, the top line C/LW and top D man slots on the roster, would be degraded.

What a predicament the franchise is in....

You mean the same predicament this franchise has been in for 3 decades now? This organization loves being in the middle because they can’t help it. They’re stuck in a loop, doing the same thing over and over and over.

Peter Loubardias has a great saying that if you want to be different, then you have to do different and until this organization starts doing things differently, then the Flames will be mired in mediocre for eternity.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #10845
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
So he just woke up and forgot how to play then is what you’re saying?

It doesn’t have anything to do with the fact Gaudreau and Monahan were primarily a rush scoring tandem and now the opposition has taken that away because the Flames don’t have a puck carrying center who can navigate through the middle of ice and distribute more to the right wing leaving the left side (Gaudreau) to be triple teamed? That has nothing to do with it?

If I was you, I would start asking why, rather than just looking at some cherry picked numbers and jumping to rudimentary conclusions. If your assumption is that Gaudreau has somehow lost his game or forgotten how to be good, then I would ask you how a player like Eric Staal goes from scoring 13 goals as a 31 year old in Carolina to 42 goals as a 33 year old. Players have off years, just like Ovechkin too. It’s about figuring out how to adjust and rectify it.

You want to believe he is still elite? Fill your boots. The numbers in every way, shape, and form say something very much opposite. The eye test is even more damning.

When I watch him, and it has been this way for 2 years now (not just an "off season"), i see a guy so afraid of contact that his game suffers drastically because teams know it. Literally will just leave the puck alone if he is about to make contact.

Why this has happened? Who knows? But it has and its not disputable.

Does that preclude him from finding his old ways again? Nope. In fact i would guess he will bounce back to some degree...but not on this club.

So I am not sure what you are even arguing....do you think the Flames should build around him or something?

Here is the reality of today

He has been in decline offensively for two full years.

He has one year left on his contract.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be traded and the team gamble whether or not he decides to explore free agency and lose him for nothing?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #10846
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Elklund >Dicklund>Eklund
Elkdick?

No pictures required for that BTW.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #10847
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If that is the case (and I understand we will never know) - then there is a big reason for why the Flames haven't been very successful during Giordano's tenure as captain.

1 goal in 23 playoff games (that 1 goal came in his first stint with the Flames in 2007) and 7 points.. Giordano is a major reason for why the Flames have sucked in the playoffs.
I wouldn't fault him at all if he didn't want to leave this year in the midst of the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, you can never discount the stupidity of this organization, that's for sure.

If you think Darryl signed up/Brad brought him in expecting to drive this team's season into the dirt...things don't go accordingly to plan.

It's like when Jay Feaster got here and "loaded up!" to get this team back into the playoffs. I suppose stupid gonna stupid.

Perhaps our only hope is winning the lottery and then trading said pick to Buffalo in a deal for Eichel, but I'm sure this team will play better hockey down the stretch and take them out of the high % positions anyways.

Ah, sweet sweet futility.
Or, maybe that was his mandate from ownership?

Quote:
Gaudreau can’t go left
Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #10848
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep this is what I’ve been saying for a while. Gio’s best attributes are his hockey IQ and tireless work ethic. In a mundane 82 game regular season, you can do a lot of damage against your average workaday opponents. But in the playoffs, when everyone skates at 100%, Gio’s work ethic is no longer a strength. Throw in his undersized frame and he’s either getting pushed around or out skated.

But Gio has done more then what could be asked for undrafted 37 year old, it’s up to the organization to find someone who can fill his shoes and nobody has up to this point. Tanev I suppose is close, but without the offensive acumen, the Flames are still left unable to match up most nights.

Tanev seems like a guy who could be more offensive minded if he wanted to. He skates fairly well, his passes are good, he stickhandles quite well. I don;t think his shot is weak - no worse than Gio's for velocity. I think he just doesn't want to take those risks.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #10849
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Elklund saying Pittsburg and Columbus interested in Bennett.
I could see him in Pittsburgh playing with Brandon Tanev. He's the kind of player that Bennett should aspire to be.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #10850
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Versteeg says they didn't hire Sutter to rebuild.... fair enough. Makes sense after spending on a top tier goalie.

They're a cap team that's 5th from the bottom, and no one is paying a premium for anything that might (should) be available from the Flames.

BT doubles down on the win now moves and his team follows up with a complete stinker of a season.

Does BT seriously believe he has the assets to significantly improve this roster? If he does, and makes it work, and the team turns around and starts winning playoff rounds.... Then BT truly is a wizard.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #10851
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I just don't see the situation as so clearly different for one player over the other. Prior to last season BOTH Gaudreau and Monahan were consistent, premiere players at their respective positions. BOTH exuded a tonne of chemistry and creativity for several years together. BOTH always looked better together than they did when they had to play with other players on the roster. You confidently assert based on Gaudreau's past that he will be just fine, while simultaneously ignoring Monahan's past—between his draft year and the end of 2019 he was the #31 highest scorer in the entire NHL—#18 among all centres.

It's a duo that once worked really well, and worked well for a pretty long time. It no longer works, and while I am not especially confident that either player can be as good as they once were, I would bet that both would benefit a lot from a change of scenery.

Hockey to me is very plug and play, I’ve seen Gaudreau play with a Nathan Mackinnon in the World
Cup and absolutely dominate. Thought he was the best player on that team that included McDavid and Matthews. Probably not anymore that they’ve hit new levels, but I don’t think Gaudreau is that far off though.

To me, stats don’t tell me the whole story about Monahan because I believe he’s the beneficiary of that duo. Sort of like how Ryan Strome is benefiting greatly in NY. Is Ryan Strome a near ppg game player, no, but he’s playing with some great players and it’s inflating his stats. Throughout the years, I’ve paid very special attention to both players when they’re not playing together and I have found that Monahan is not nearly the same player without him whereas Gaudreau has still been very productive whether he’s playing with a Derek Ryan or a Mark Jankowski or whoever.

It’s a theory I’ve held since that line’s inception in 2014 and over the years it’s only become more solidified.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #10852
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1379860194138669063

I see Wheeler is out indefinitely as well. The trade market might be heating up sooner than later.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #10853
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Well that's good news, since Calgary has a well-established history of treating hometown players with class and respect.

Spoiler!
Old 04-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #10854
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

I see Wheeler is out indefinitely as well. The trade market might be heating up sooner than later.
Backlund and Bennett for Wheeler.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #10855
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Well that's good news, since Calgary has a well-established history of treating hometown players with class and respect.

Spoiler!
Class and respect? Ever met Vernon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #10856
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

This may actually mean good things for moving Bennett. Hate to see players injured but stock goes up when depth issues start to appear before the deadline.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #10857
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Class and respect? Ever met Vernon?
Guessing you didn't click on the spoiler tags by FanIn80...

Oh wait, is Vernon a jerk?

Last edited by AC; 04-07-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #10858
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he a dink?
Old 04-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #10859
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
You want to believe he is still elite? Fill your boots. The numbers in every way, shape, and form say something very much opposite. The eye test is even more damning.

When I watch him, and it has been this way for 2 years now (not just an "off season"), i see a guy so afraid of contact that his game suffers drastically because teams know it. Literally will just leave the puck alone if he is about to make contact.

Why this has happened? Who knows? But it has and its not disputable.

Does that preclude him from finding his old ways again? Nope. In fact i would guess he will bounce back to some degree...but not on this club.

So I am not sure what you are even arguing....do you think the Flames should build around him or something?

Here is the reality of today

He has been in decline offensively for two full years.

He has one year left on his contract.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be traded and the team gamble whether or not he decides to explore free agency and lose him for nothing?

Gaudreau has always been afraid of contact, this is not something new. For 7 years he’s been avoiding hits and plays that could involve receiving contact, but that hasn’t hindered his ability to produce. The biggest reason for the drop off in my opinion has everything to do with the way that line is being defended on their breakouts which has nothing to do with being afraid of getting hit.

Gaudreau is definitely not bouncing back with this organization, not a chance with Darryl around. His stats with Darryl and without him this season are pretty drastic. Personally I think it has more to do with who he’s line up with than the coach himself, but regardless, none of this will likely change so we’ll probably be seeing the end of Johnny’s time here is my guess, unless Jack Eichel is traded here, but even that’s pretty pie in the sky.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #10860
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Guessing you didn't click on the spoiler tags by FanIn80...
????? It’s why wrote Vernon.

Maybe I missed a joke.
Closed Thread