Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #1061
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary-based geothermal company making some serious progress in recent years. It seems that technology like this will play a significant role in the energy transition:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1717277412206035422
Old 10-28-2023, 12:13 PM   #1062
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very optimistic about geothermal's potential, but I feel like Eavor's closed loop solution would be a very expensive way to do it
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #1063
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'm very optimistic about geothermal's potential, but I feel like Eavor's closed loop solution would be a very expensive way to do it
You don't know until you try it.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:03 PM   #1064
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's almost entirely a question of drilling costs. Once you've found a way to reduce the cost of deep drilling, you've basically won, because it's inexpensive to install and run a closed loop system once the drilling is complete. The fluid used in the loop is literally tap water, and it doesn't even require a pump to operate (uses naturally occurring thermosiphon to circulate the water).

Last edited by Mathgod; 10-28-2023 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:37 PM   #1065
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we're on the topic of geothermal, figured it would be worth mentioning the Alberta 1 project. Anyone here have deep pockets and would like to invest in the project?

https://www.albertano1.ca/
Old 11-02-2023, 08:34 AM   #1066
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Geothermal is great. Lots of potential there. Not sure why the feds haven't been more aggressive over the years in incentivizing large scale water to air installations.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #1067
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was watching Eavor's promo video this morning and they mentioned their process being dispatchable. Anyone with more knowledge know the degree to which it is dispatchable (in terms of both capacity and generation)?

It sounds like the basically shut the valves and less the fluid heat up even more down there, which would make hotter steam and therefore more generation...but I can't imagine that would be a huge "reservoir" of spare energy to provide a lot of capacity for a while.

Also any idea how fast it could come back online at the proper frequency?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #1068
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I was watching Eavor's promo video this morning and they mentioned their process being dispatchable. Anyone with more knowledge know the degree to which it is dispatchable (in terms of both capacity and generation)?

It sounds like the basically shut the valves and less the fluid heat up even more down there, which would make hotter steam and therefore more generation...but I can't imagine that would be a huge "reservoir" of spare energy to provide a lot of capacity for a while.

Also any idea how fast it could come back online at the proper frequency?
Not sure if I understand the question but I'll try to answer as best I can. The closed loop system can be a baseload energy source if need be, meaning it can produce energy 24/7 if that's whats required (albeit the heat source would be depleted more quickly that way, presumably in a matter of 2-3 decades instead of several). But during times when you don't need energy from it (ie: the sun is shining or the wind is blowing), you can simply shut the valve to stop the flow of liquid. When you need energy again you just open the valve and the flow resumes immediately.

The "reservoir" of energy is simply the heat within the Earth's crust that comes in contact with the loop.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:01 PM   #1069
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a good resource for those looking for technical details regarding closed loop systems in general: https://www.eavor.com/wp-content/upl...py-systems.pdf

Basic information on the project can be found in these documents: https://eavor-geretsried.de/en/media/

Last edited by Mathgod; 11-02-2023 at 06:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:06 PM   #1070
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The concept of geothermal just makes me a little uncomfortable. I feel like the few isolated hobby projects that exist are one thing, but the impacts of deploying it on a massive scale makes be wonder.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:43 AM   #1071
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Not sure if I understand the question but I'll try to answer as best I can. The closed loop system can be a baseload energy source if need be, meaning it can produce energy 24/7 if that's whats required (albeit the heat source would be depleted more quickly that way, presumably in a matter of 2-3 decades instead of several). But during times when you don't need energy from it (ie: the sun is shining or the wind is blowing), you can simply shut the valve to stop the flow of liquid. When you need energy again you just open the valve and the flow resumes immediately.

The "reservoir" of energy is simply the heat within the Earth's crust that comes in contact with the loop.
I get that. What I was getting at though is they were touting how when they effectively "shut the valve", the process fluid is able to sit down there and get even hotter (obviously), so when they turn the valve back on they've got even more "oomf" and can generate well above the facilities steady state capacity.

I'm wondering how much that extra "oomf" is, and for how long it lasts.

Pardon the layperson terms in quotes...
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:44 AM   #1072
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
The concept of geothermal just makes me a little uncomfortable. I feel like the few isolated hobby projects that exist are one thing, but the impacts of deploying it on a massive scale makes be wonder.
Wait until you hear about fracking
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 04:47 PM   #1073
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why? There's some 900,000 odd oil and gas wells all across the WCSB.

The St Germain hotel downtown has 118 geothermal boreholes under it.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:21 PM   #1074
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I get that. What I was getting at though is they were touting how when they effectively "shut the valve", the process fluid is able to sit down there and get even hotter (obviously), so when they turn the valve back on they've got even more "oomf" and can generate well above the facilities steady state capacity.

I'm wondering how much that extra "oomf" is, and for how long it lasts.

Pardon the layperson terms in quotes...
From one layperson to another, let me just say, there's nothing wrong with using layperson terms.

The extra oomf you're talking about would definitely happen, but I don't know if it is an explicitly intended feature of the system. I can't seem to find any specific info on the amount of extra energy it would provide or how long that higher output would last. By 'dispatchable' they probably just mean it can be turned on or off as need be. But again I'm no expert and can't speak for them on this. Just doing what I can to spread the word about their project and the progress they're making.

But if you really wanted to, I guess you could start doing some rough calculations. Volume of water in the loop x specific heat capacity of water x degrees of extra heating. That kind of thing.

Quote:
It's not meant to be a panacea. It's meant to be more like a tag team partner to wind and solar.

But I don't think we're that far away from a world where a huge percentage of homes & buildings get their heating needs met via geothermal.

Last edited by Mathgod; 11-03-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #1075
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not meant to be a panacea. It's meant to be more like a tag team partner to wind and solar.
Bang on always.

Geothermal energy will definitely have its place in the generation mix where it makes sense, but I don't think it is a viable baseload solution to replace nat gas. It's more likely to be a less impactful form of hydro.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:04 PM   #1076
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Bang on always.

Geothermal energy will definitely have its place in the generation mix where it makes sense, but I don't think it is a viable baseload solution to replace nat gas. It's more likely to be a less impactful form of hydro.
All forms of fossil fuels will sooner or later be phased out completely, including natural gas. Might as well make it happen as quickly as it can be feasibly done.

Last edited by Mathgod; 11-03-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #1077
CroCop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
All forms of fossil fuels will sooner or later be phased out completely, including natural gas. Might as well make it happen as quickly as it can be feasibly done.
Has to happen being of finite supply. Not likely in any of our lifetime though.
CroCop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #1078
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Has to happen being of finite supply. Not likely in any of our lifetime though.
It absolutely must happen within our lifetime. Supply isn't the issue; emissions is the issue.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:54 PM   #1079
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burning stuff for energy is the problem. However we get there, we have to
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #1080
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Burning stuff for energy is the problem. However we get there, we have to
You wouldn't say that if you lived in Alberta.