Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #1061
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I've been to university for this stuff, studied it in detail and have a firm grasp of the scientific process as well as the history of philosophy and the foundations of logic.
Except you've demonstrated on numerous occasions that you don't.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #1062
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I shoud add, AcGold, that you seem to constantly whip out your post-secondary education as if it gives your statements some sort of credibility. It's kind of sad and bizarre. And it's really odd that someone who claims to have such a firm grasp of logic would so consistently appeal to their own authority.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #1063
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been to university for this stuff, studied it in detail and have a firm grasp of the scientific process as well as the history of philosophy and the foundations of logic.
Then try applying it sometime.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #1064
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too doesn't count.

(I'm just yanking your chain, don't wig)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 AM   #1065
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't misunderstand anything. The statement that all people who think a hypothesis makes sense is a confirmation of their biases is fundamentally untrue. All it really means is that it meets the requirements for a logical hypothesis to be supported by a proposition (phone autocorrected).

I've been to university for this stuff, studied it in detail and have a firm grasp of the scientific process as well as the history of philosophy and the foundations of logic. Again, his statement is fundamentally untrue. Seeing a logical connection between a proposition and a conclusion does not inherently involve bias. I don't appreciate the condescending tone or the insults. It's not semantics, his point is fundamentally wrong on the level of philosophy and logic. I can see the thanks you get because people just assume I'm against vaccines.

I'm not, just see that there's a whole lot of groupthink going on in here. I've received multiple PM's from posters on the subject because they don't want to post on here because they know they'll get attacked. So good job bullying away people so you can have your unified groupthink hate sessions.
For someone who's gone to university for it, you don't construct logical propositions very well. Also, you're spiralling the conversation away from the main topic: that the scientific evidence supports the hypothesis that vaccines do not cause autism, towards a logical/philosophical debate over the exact meaning of a single sentence while pedantically ignoring the colloquial nature of the sentence in question, but what the hell, I'll bite.

The proposition "All people who believe a hypothesis is true do so if and only if the hypothesis confirms already held biases" is, I will agree, almost certainly false.

However, that was not the point of the video. The video's point was that people are more likely to accept hypotheses which confirm their already held biases. They were speaking generally and probabilistically; not in formal absolutes, which, one would think, should be immediately apparent to a formally trained student of logic and the scientific method.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #1066
Knut

Exp:

^ I deleted a few written out posts trying to say what you just did. You did a much better job than me at articulating the fact he steering conversation away from the topic and to psychobabble.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #1067
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

HAHA!

Quote:
A German biologist who offered €100,000 (£71,350; $106,300) to anyone who could prove that measles is a virus has been ordered by a court to pay up.

Stefan Lanka, who believes the illness is psychosomatic, made the pledge four years ago on his website.

The reward was later claimed by German doctor David Barden, who gathered evidence from various medical studies. Mr Lanka dismissed the findings.

But the court in the town of Ravensburg ruled that the proof was sufficient and orders measles sceptic to pay 100,000 euros

Reacting to the verdict by the court in the southern town, Mr Lanka said he would appeal.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31864218
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #1068
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

School with measles outbreak bars 21 students until further notice from school for refusing to take the vaccine. Most were absent but some of these had signed vaccination refusal forms. Good on the school to make this mandatory.

Quote:
Public health officials in Quebec's Lanaudière region, where a measles outbreak has infected 119 people, got a vaccination campaign underway at a local school after learning that an infected child visited it recently.

School and health officials said at a news conference late Thursday afternoon that 93 of the 114 unprotected students at École Intégrée de St-Pierre in Joliette, about 75 kilometres north of Montreal, have now been vaccinated.

The remaining 21 students are forbidden from attending school until further notice.

“We got 3 refusal forms signed by parents,” said Anne-Marie Blanchard, director of public health in the Lanaudière region.

The other 18 students were either absent from school today or did not bring in a signed consent or refusal form.

“The parents of these 18 children will be contacted by the school,” Blanchard said, adding that parents who did not sign a consent form can still have their children vaccinated at their local CLSC. The children can return to school once they have been immunized.

The school’s staff members are all protected against the measles.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/mont...ette-1.2991904
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #1069
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been curious recently as to what teachers could do in regards to this. If they are teaching unvaccinated kids, could they possibly use the Occupational Health and Safety right to refuse unsafe work under these conditions?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #1070
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I've been curious recently as to what teachers could do in regards to this. If they are teaching unvaccinated kids, could they possibly use the Occupational Health and Safety right to refuse unsafe work under these conditions?
If they're immunocompromised, I don't see why not.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #1071
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Super Nintendo Chalmers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #1072
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #1073
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/infe...-they-re-right

worth it just to read the comment section...
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #1074
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope this will start a major movement.

http://thescientificparent.org/learn...xx-to-science/

Quote:
I’m writing this from quarantine, the irony of which isn’t lost on me. Emotionally I’m a bit raw. Mentally a bit taxed. Physically I’m fine. All seven of my unvaccinated children have whooping cough, and the kicker is that they may have given it to my five month old niece, too young to be fully vaccinated.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #1075
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Nah. The anti-vaxx idiots will claim she's just a plant/shill for big pharma.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #1076
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

This is pretty good.

How pro-diseasers sound to the rest of the population.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #1077
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

The whole pro-disease movement always irritated me but now that I have a new born it absolutely terrifies and infuriates me. You hate to be one of those crazy keep my kid in a bubble parents but apparently shipping all the pro-diseasers to an island and releasing polio on them in a kind of disease Survivor TV show is "frowned upon".
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #1078
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Australian government has announced that it intends to stop welfare payments to parents who refuse to vaccinate their children. The "no jab, no pay" policy may cost parents more than A$11,000 a year per child in lost benefit payments.
Families with children not immunised have been able to receive childcare cash if they have a philosophical or religious objection to vaccines.
PM Tony Abbott said that the rules would soon be substantially tightened.
He said that there would only be a small number of religious and medical exceptions to the new rules - supported by the Labor opposition and due to come into effect in early 2016.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-32274107

I applaud them for it but am surprised they are able to do it. Would that fly here?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #1079
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yay, religious exemptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post

I applaud them for it but am surprised they are able to do it. Would that fly here?
Judging by the reaction of Australians to Australia banning firearms versus the reaction of a significant number of Canadians to firearm restrictions even being discussed is any indication, I sadly don't think so.

But god damn would I support it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #1080
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post

I don't know - seems like it is not welfare parents that are not vaccinating, but well-to-do "organic" moms in places like Orange County.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote