Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #1061
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Kylo Ren hosts SNL this week.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #1062
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll be recording it, I expect they'll do an angry Kylo skit, or Kylo at Hogwarts or something like that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #1063
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post

I knew my dad

I killed his m%%%%%%%%%%%% Dad!!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #1064
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #1065
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Standalone I enjoyed the movie I guess, but destroying a Death Star 3.0? Give me a ####ing break.

Also didn't like how Jedis and The Force was considered a myth or folk lore until validated by Han Solo. The wars took place one and two generations ago and were clearly acknowledged throughout the galaxy.

Captain Phasma was an absolute disgrace of a character and waste of screen time.

I don't expect Rey is Luke's daughter. I hope it's a different blood line or immaculate conception or whatever like Anakin. Unless Schmi was actually just a little closet whore and only told Quai Gon Jinn that story to hide her shame.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #1066
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Standalone I enjoyed the movie I guess, but destroying a Death Star 3.0? Give me a ####ing break.

Also didn't like how Jedis and The Force was considered a myth or folk lore until validated by Han Solo. The wars took place one and two generations ago and were clearly acknowledged throughout the galaxy.

Captain Phasma was an absolute disgrace of a character and waste of screen time.

I don't expect Rey is Luke's daughter. I hope it's a different blood line or immaculate conception or whatever like Anakin. Unless Schmi was actually just a little closet whore and only told Quai Gon Jinn that story to hide her shame.
Even at the height of the Republic, Jedi were rare. They were a few thousand among a galactic population of trillions. After the Empire took over you had two force users in the entire galaxy until Luke showed up, and then he was the only one until Ren/Rey. Jedi were mythical to a lot of people before their order was destroyed, not surprising that grew after their destruction
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #1067
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #1068
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

The Jedi had been wiped out and everything about them was basically erased by the Empire. When the rebels won the war, I have trouble seeing wide spread information about the Sith, a fallen jedi and a jedi becoming wide spread knowledge pushed out by the Republic. They might not want the galaxy to know that the whole Empire was based around a religious war that had been going on for thousands of years.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #1069
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well it was folklore and myth to Han Solo in A New Hope as well, and wasn't respected by Imperial officers either. So to a scavenger who has spent nearly all her life on a remote planet stories of the Force and Jedi and all this other stuff probably just seem like stories and myths. She was also the only one who seemed to think Luke was a myth, but even to somebody like Finn he probably only knew of him as a prominent Rebel fighter and leader (similar to Han 'the Rebellion General') because nobody would have really known about his Jedi fight with Vader and the Emperor.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #1070
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

the original trilogy implied the jedi were a clandestine organization. The prequels made them public and huge. I thought that was so stupid, because if they were as public as they were in the prequels there's no way everyone would call them a myth in 20 years.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #1071
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
the original trilogy implied the jedi were a clandestine organization. The prequels made them public and huge. I thought that was so stupid, because if they were as public as they were in the prequels there's no way everyone would call them a myth in 20 years.
Even the in the original trilogy they aluded to the Jedi being a outfront and massive organization.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: For over a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic... before the dark times... before the empire.

It wouldn't have made sense for Palpatine to basically turn the galaxy against the Jedi if they were clandestine and behind the scenes.

Basically the Jedi were a combination of authorian knights and the French Musketeers.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

It was also clear in the first movie that the Jedi were open and in the command structure of the Republic,

Princess Leia Organa: General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #1072
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Even at the height of the Republic, Jedi were rare. They were a few thousand among a galactic population of trillions. After the Empire took over you had two force users in the entire galaxy until Luke showed up, and then he was the only one until Ren/Rey. Jedi were mythical to a lot of people before their order was destroyed, not surprising that grew after their destruction
See above

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #1073
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Remember that the Jedi were incredibly powerful and the 10,000 were a pretty overwhelming force in a Galaxy where there weren't standing armies.

Palpatine's brilliance was that he created an environment where the Jedi weren't facing local threats, they were facing a massive army in the field (Conferation), and then another mass army in the Grand Army.

But prior to that when it was Canon, the Repbulic was pretty much demilitarized after the Sith/Jedi war on Ruusan where millions of innocents died when the Sith and Republic put armies in the field.

It took an entire army of basically millions of clones and droids to wipe out a few thousand jedi.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #1074
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

why did Han say he's traveled all over and had never heard of the force? You think if there was a massive public army of superheroes he would have heard of it?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #1075
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
why did Han say he's traveled all over and had never heard of the force? You think if there was a massive public army of superheroes he would have heard of it?
The Jedi had been basically extinct for 20 to 30 years by the time that Solo came around, and I'm pretty sure that the Empire didn't allow anyone to talk or teach anything about the Jedi, Palpatine probably had his enemy wiped from history, and kept anything that would allow the Jedi to re rise away from public consumption.

Solo was probably a toddler or at worst a pre-teen when the Empire came into play.

Probably the only people who had seen Jedi, were the very old, of old veterans involved in the Clone Wars and a select few others, and they probably didn't talk about them a lot because the Empire was probably like Nazi Germany in that they had ears everywhere.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #1076
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't say he'd never heard of the Force, he said he didn't believe that it controlled his life.
"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Solo was probably a toddler or at worst a pre-teen when the Empire came into play.
Harrison Ford was in his mid-30s when he made Star Wars. Assuming Solo was roughly the same age, he would have been a teenager during the late years of the Republic. At one point, Lucas considered having a teen Solo in Episode III.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #1077
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He didn't say he'd never heard of the Force, he said he didn't believe that it controlled his life.
"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."
Harrison Ford was in his mid-30s when he made Star Wars. Assuming Solo was roughly the same age, he would have been a teenager during the late years of the Republic. At one point, Lucas considered having a teen Solo in Episode III.
Thank god he didn't that would have been the worst.

Still I believe the original point stands. Palpatine had basically banned any teaching about or discussions about the Jedi.

Even the people that had heard of them, probably didn't talk about them at all or tell their kids about them.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #1078
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well Obi-wan didn't remember the Droids either. So I guess the Empire was really good at creating mass amnesia.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #1079
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought he said he didn't remember owning droids, which was true, but Obi-Wan was full of convenient truths throughout the whole OT.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #1080
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, I know I'm reaching