Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #1061
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This is absolutely the case. I deal with this every day, all over the city, but the worst for me is 16th Ave NE where they go from Stoney to Deerfoot in the left lane because they don't want to deal with people merging. And they're often doing 20km under the limit.

Poor driving skills are the norm in this city. I like to think I'm a good driver. I'm experienced, my vehicles are maintained properly, I'm courteous to a fault, and I'm vigilant behind the wheel. But I admit I can be aggressive and pass on the right when someone is needlessly slowing me down. The thing is, I only do it when dealing with people who don't have a clue about basic rules of the road. Their bad driving brings out mine. It's cyclical, just like how people don't signal because if they do jerks won't let them in.

I agree that the worst habits need to be corrected, and I'd like to see more enforcement from police, and mandatory re-testing every 5 years.

This. So much this. I always seem to begin any driving excursion with the best of intentions, doing my best to be a courteous, safe and efficient driver. But then with the absolute clusterfata that the roads can be, I seem to get frustrated and lulled into being like the rest of them. Its a ridiculous snowball effect.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #1062
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any suggestions as to how to keep sandbags from moving around in the bed of a truck - thinking about picking up a few for the rear tires.

Edit: without building a contraption
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #1063
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I have a theory. They perceive the left most lane as "safer" since it's further away from exits and on-ramps.
That's funny because I always perceive the right lane to be the safe/easy zone. Yes, it gets more ingress/egress action, but its the closest to exits if something goes wrong, and there are no expectations placed on you in that lane. Nobody expects you to pass anyone. Nobody expects you to be faster. People expect you to be slower. Being in the right lane you've given the signal that for whatever reason you're ok with being the more passive driver, and you're not going to be a dick about it.

To me the right lane is the pre-emptive version of the "apologetic hand wave after you've done something wrong". No winter tires in January so you're only doing 40? Totally fine cause you're in the right lane and you're trying to stay out of the way. Your old jalopy can barely go up the hill? Been there my friend....thanks for being in the right lane. Riding a horse-drawn buggy because you're Amish? Hey, we all gotta get around, and at least you're not doing it in the passing lane.

The right lane is where it's at if you're feeling nervous about your car or your driving ability, or just generally want to cruise.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #1064
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Any suggestions as to how to keep sandbags from moving around in the bed of a truck - thinking about picking up a few for the rear tires.

Your best bet would be to get some sort of divider (or make one yourself.) There are many different options on the market right now depending on which truck you have.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #1065
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe carabiner them to a tie down in your truck box?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #1066
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well just got on my new winters today, had to book a month out but looks like my timing was almost right. I ended up downsizing like is suggested with a taller sidewall. I am impressed in the few hours I have been driving. Even with AWD, stability, ABS, etc it has made a difference.

I was scared little girl (Arnold voice) on my all seasons yesterday but today I have my tank back!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #1067
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure about a truck as I use them in the trunk of my car. Wrap them in a garbage bag in case they can leak.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #1068
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

Never had problems with mine last year but they were 50 pounds each and they never moved.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #1069
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

if you have 4 or five (maybe six, I can't remember) across at the axle they shouldn't move as they are wedged together.

You can also cut two 2 x 4s and wedge them across the width of the bed, before and after the sandbags and they won't go anywhere. Kind of like this:

Also, for the cat litter types a (way overengineered) contraption (Which is not as effective as it would be if it was over the axle):

Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #1070
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Funny but I have not even considered putting weight in my truck. With the slip control and winters I don't seem to need it but I may put a couple sidewalk slabs in just to see how much better it is.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #1071
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bungee cable them to the side of the trunk?
Duct tape them down? (Just a few loops on the bottom one to reduce friction?)
Box of sorts with ability to make use of the bumpy bottom of the truck bed? (ie: Legs) or a rectangular garbage can with dimensions similar to the back of your truck? (Can't come out of the box/can, merely bungee box/can to sides).
Use patio slabs instead? (I don't think these will move and are stackable...)

I don't think I have ever seen sand bags roll/move around more than an inch or two in a trunk before.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #1072
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally got my tires ordered through the Mazda dealer. They've told me 3-4 days, so they expect them Monday... I'm not so optimistic.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #1073
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Plain old 2x6 cut just like in Titan's pic. If your truck box has slots, spend 4 minutes cutting it nicely. If not, just cut it so that it leans against the wheel well, then throw 3-5 sand bags behind it, parallel to the motion of the truck. The front of the bags will press against the 2x6, and the backs will hit the tailgate. For good measure, go wash your truck, and the bags will solidify and freeze in place afterwards.

Keep a few tools in your truck, and if you ever need sand to help someone that isn't as prepared as you, you can cut bags open. The middles of the bags will still be loose sand. Actually this last part I only had to do once, and that was one year that I actually found gravel bags. Worked great. I cannot personally vouch for the effectiveness of sand.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #1074
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw some 38 lb bags of sand for $7 at Canadian Tire... those things are small. I'd rather pay $3 for a 20 ish pound 12'x12" slab. If my back tires continue to slide after the tire replacement, I might have to consider doing a 3x slab configuration in the trunk of my car. (I'd rather not have a bag accidentally blow up).

In response to 4x4, sand doesn't work as well as gravel or kitty litter. It gets swept away by a tire on ice or combines with snow and doesn't really do much unless you lay a beach behind you and even then I question the effectiveness. Gravel and kitty litter at the very least if swept away will at least scratch the ice increasing your chances substantially of getting enough grip to get out. Sand is perfectly fine for sidewalks and driveways for walking, but to get a stuck car out? Don't count on it. Even gravel is mediocre at best. Not even necessary most of the times when pushing a car out. (Seriously, has anyone else been peppered with gravel pushing someone out? Don't sprinkle that stuff and push)

I have had great success with having a full size flat bottomed (works better than a spade bottom IMO) digging shovel or scoop shovel in my trunk. Completely digging to the asphalt and using carpet (left overs from a previous installation) as grip works most of the time. Most of the other situations required us to dig the car off a 1.5+ foot snow drift so the tires actually would touch solid ground. Every snow storm, I have to do this 3-5 times in front of my house. I've never seemed to have good results with helping someone using gravel. I can only see that being semi useful on a scraped hill.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #1075
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I had this issue with my old truck. I just used ratchet straps and they worked perfectly. One strap per side and you can simply use the same strap point with the bags in the middle of the strap.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #1076
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I hope you guys putting bags of sand or concrete blocks in your trucks are ratcheting them down. It's a $500 fine if you're not, and more importantly, you don't want one going through the back of your head if you're in an accident.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #1077
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What should the discount be on tires off kijiji? I know the very thought brings out the "nope" in people, but I think everything has value at a certain price.

The ones I'm thinking about are essentially new. Very little tread wear if any and they are already mounted on steel rims. But as far as I can tell he is only discounting them about 25% off of what you would pay full price from a shop. (Sales notwithstanding).
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #1078
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
What should the discount be on tires off kijiji? I know the very thought brings out the "nope" in people, but I think everything has value at a certain price.

The ones I'm thinking about are essentially new. Very little tread wear if any and they are already mounted on steel rims. But as far as I can tell he is only discounting them about 25% off of what you would pay full price from a shop. (Sales notwithstanding).
That's a good price this time of year and somebody else will scoop them up if you don't. If they tick all the boxes for you, I'd drop what you're doing and go get them.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #1079
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I thought that with newer trucks there was no need to put weight in the bed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #1080
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I hope you guys putting bags of sand or concrete blocks in your trucks are ratcheting them down. It's a $500 fine if you're not, and more importantly, you don't want one going through the back of your head if you're in an accident.
Is this a truck only thing or does it applies to cars with trunks as well?