Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2023, 12:04 PM   #1061
Titan2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I sometimes wonder if he's got Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome (the less nice/stigmatizing name for this is "wet-brain.")
Not sure about that. Positive about smooth brain though.
Old 10-30-2023, 01:21 PM   #1062
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if he's got Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome (the less nice/stigmatizing name for this is "wet-brain.")
I think he has always been a horrible person his play on the ice just caused people to turn a blind eye.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 03:33 PM   #1063
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
One thing I've realized observing the conspiracy dummies, they're incredibly gullible and will believe anything they read. The irony is they think they have special knowledge and are one step ahead of everyone else.

Theo Fluery is a ####ing moron.
Well yeah, exactly. There's no discernment with these people where they believe one conspiracy that might sound likely or at least be backed by some logic, but another one is obviously too outlandish or stupid. They believe everything.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:33 PM   #1064
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now he’s attacked Manitoba’s new premier for getting vaccinated
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:42 AM   #1065
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't you just ignore him?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 10:04 AM   #1066
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post

There is something blissful about avoiding social media. If it weren’t for this, I would never hear about him or guys like Brett Wilson et al.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 10:14 AM   #1067
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that many feel a responsibility to call out ridiculous conspiracy rhetoric when they encounter it. Especially when someone uses their platform to spread misinformation.

If this thread leads to someone discovering (or re-confirming) that Fleury is a pathetic peddler of nonsense and conspiracy, then I'm OK with it. It won't change him, but it might reduce the reach of his platform a little bit.

And I'm not going to lie, he's so pathetic, it is kind of entertaining.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 10-31-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 11:33 AM   #1068
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s entertaining.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #1069
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
He’s entertaining.
That's more or less the attitude that got Trump elected President.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:19 PM   #1070
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
That's more or less the attitude that got Trump elected President.
Probably no coincidence that most conspiracy theorists are, in fact, Trump supporters.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 10:37 PM   #1071
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
He’s entertaining.
Why do people slow down on the highway to look at a car accident?

Its human nature.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:17 AM   #1072
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
If anything, he has Dunning–Kruger for certain. And if his brain is wet, it's from all the alcohol he drank in the 90s.

When Theo Fleury was a Ranger, he said, he would stay out all night drinking, doing cocaine, going “below the streets of New York City” to “party with freaks, transvestites, strippers” or to “hang out with homeless guys around a burn barrel” on the West Side piers.

He substituted Gatorade or his baby boy’s urine for his own in drug tests until, finally, he had to take a break from hockey to enter a substance-abuse program. Much of his time as a Ranger, from 1999 to 2002, he remembers as a “nightmare.

His brain might be irreperably drug and alcohol damaged. His inability to comprehend truth, reality, and ease of buying into every stupid conspiracy he reads on the internet also points to a lack of education and growing up in a pre-internet generation. You often find that older adults never developed a filter against misinformation because it wasn't part of the media/news zeitgeist in those times. They had major newspapers, reliable newscasters, and responsible editors feeding them information instead of Andy tweeting his thoughts from the trailer park.

These are possible explanations for his mode of thinking. They should never be thought of as excuses for his abhorrent behavior and reprehensible/infantile views.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:37 AM   #1073
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If anything, he has Dunning–Kruger for certain. And if his brain is wet, it's from all the alcohol he drank in the 90s.

When Theo Fleury was a Ranger, he said, he would stay out all night drinking, doing cocaine, going “below the streets of New York City” to “party with freaks, transvestites, strippers” or to “hang out with homeless guys around a burn barrel” on the West Side piers.

He substituted Gatorade or his baby boy’s urine for his own in drug tests until, finally, he had to take a break from hockey to enter a substance-abuse program. Much of his time as a Ranger, from 1999 to 2002, he remembers as a “nightmare.
Even when reading his book at the time I wondered how much was true, and how much was fabricated.

Like - I'm sure he partied hard, and spent a lot on strippers. Hanging out with homeless guys around a burn barrel - probably not so much. Feels like it was added so he seemed like less of a rich dickhead.

Plus the homeless guys would have stabbed him for his watch.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #1074
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Even when reading his book at the time I wondered how much was true, and how much was fabricated.

Like - I'm sure he partied hard, and spent a lot on strippers. Hanging out with homeless guys around a burn barrel - probably not so much.
A hallmark sign of WKS is confabulation. I don't know, not trying to diagnose him, but it's something I've long wondered, given the above and his quick descent into all things conspiracy theory. Toss in a massive ego and well....Theo Fleury as he is today.

Who knows? Maybe he's just a knob. *shrug*
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #1075
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I thought the same thing, addicts love exaggerating about how bad they were and with guys like Theo it's just another way to say they were at another level or went further than anyone else.

As for his conspiracy lunatic babble, if you choose to ignore him that's fine but I feel like we should push back against garbage like this.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:11 AM   #1076
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

His brain might be irreperably drug and alcohol damaged. His inability to comprehend truth, reality, and ease of buying into every stupid conspiracy he reads on the internet also points to a lack of education and growing up in a pre-internet generation. You often find that older adults never developed a filter against misinformation because it wasn't part of the media/news zeitgeist in those times. They had major newspapers, reliable newscasters, and responsible editors feeding them information instead of Andy tweeting his thoughts from the trailer park.

These are possible explanations for his mode of thinking. They should never be thought of as excuses for his abhorrent behavior and reprehensible/infantile views.
And yet Fox news and others trot him out as some kind of authority. If he wasn't good at hockey, he would've been an actual homeless person on the streets of NYC.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #1077
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1731736311482957841
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 12:05 PM   #1078
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I felt a hint of cringe when Theoren Fleury was celebrated on the jumbotron for indigenous night.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #1079
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Theo Fleury

Electric vehicles only allow you to travel short distances. This will limit your ability to travel and they will be connected to the grid which means they can make that car unusable if they need to. It’s all in the you’ll own nothing and be happy sustainable goals agenda. There isn’t an infrastructure either that will be able to sustain that amount of electric cars. The climate agenda isn’t to save the world from burning it’s to limit your ability to travel. It’s all about control.

https://x.com/theofleury14/status/17...188621525?s=61
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:23 PM   #1080
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Theo mention 15-minute cities as part of the plot to confine us to our communities?