Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #1061
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Care to elaborate on why you don't like her?

What specifically has she done/not done, that make you happy she's gone?
"BoW rIvEr fLoW!"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #1062
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
"BoW rIvEr fLoW!"

Ahead of it's time. 11 years ago closing off part of Memorial eastbound for one Sunday was seen as a violation of the Geneva Convention and is something that some voters still can't get over.

Now people are calling for the lanes to be closed as a matter of course during any blue sky day in the winter and during the summer.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #1063
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Ahead of it's time. 11 years ago closing off part of Memorial eastbound for one Sunday was seen as a violation of the Geneva Convention and is something that some voters still can't get over.

Now people are calling for the lanes to be closed as a matter of course during any blue sky day in the winter and during the summer.
But think about all those people who leave downtown at the end of the work day and don't leave their suburban area during the weekends. They don't use Memorial at all on a Sunday, but what if they wanted to?! Now it will take longer! Thanks Druh.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #1064
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well that's your opinion and it doesn't change the fact that I'm an extremely happy person today. This is great news for the city IMO.
That's not really an opinion. Chu and Magliocca in particular have demonstrated poor fiscal policy based on their voting trends, they're negative contributors to both council and the city. Magliocca is a fraud and should (or should have) face charges.

Farkas is just a poor councilor in general. He doesn't stand FOR anything, he just stands against things.

So again.. what is the issue with Farrell? There is a laundry list of things she's added to the City of Calgary over her tenure as councillor, and all you've got is that you don't like her, but refuse to elaborate as to why.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #1065
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not against Bow River Flow, and it really has no impact on me personally, but do you think that this has been called for because of any other extenuating circumstances in the past year?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #1066
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm not against Bow River Flow, and it really has no impact on me personally, but do you think that this has been called for because of any other extenuating circumstances in the past year?

Absolutely.

Covid has shown just how inadequate some of our public realm is when lots of people want to use them.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #1067
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Druh was on the wrong side of the fluoride debate and did not/does not listen to the science.

For that, any good she has done is tarnished, since the decision has greatly impacted the oral health of the city in the last 10+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #1068
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely.

Covid has shown just how inadequate some of our public realm is when lots of people want to use them.
It's just a little silly to use this past year as a gauge for usage of infrastructure in general. I haven't been using it, but I guarantee that transit usage has dropped significantly, and no one is advocating we cut there and use that usage to suggest anything about future use. It's hilarious to even suggest that, IMHO.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #1069
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
That's not really an opinion. Chu and Magliocca in particular have demonstrated poor fiscal policy based on their voting trends, they're negative contributors to both council and the city. Magliocca is a fraud and should (or should have) face charges.

Farkas is just a poor councilor in general. He doesn't stand FOR anything, he just stands against things.

So again.. what is the issue with Farrell? There is a laundry list of things she's added to the City of Calgary over her tenure as councillor, and all you've got is that you don't like her, but refuse to elaborate as to why.
Farkas has a lot of supporters so it's logical that Farrell supporters would exist as well. That's all I got to say as nothing you can say can take this smile off my face as I don't need to elaborate as I'm extremely happy to put her in the past much like when Geoff Ward gets fired. This is the first sign that 2021 is leading to better things!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #1070
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Farkas has a lot of supporters so it's logical that Farrell supporters would exist as well. That's all I got to say as nothing you can say can take this smile off my face as I don't need to elaborate as I'm extremely happy to put her in the past much like when Geoff Ward gets fired. This is the first sign that 2021 is leading to better things!
Oh you were a big tax money for arena guy, maybe that was it.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #1071
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's just a little silly to use this past year as a gauge for usage of infrastructure in general. I haven't been using it, but I guarantee that transit usage has dropped significantly, and no one is advocating we cut there and use that usage to suggest anything about future use. It's hilarious to even suggest that, IMHO.

Except nobody is 'cutting' roads when they close lanes for cars during times of high pathway use.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #1072
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except nobody is 'cutting' roads when they close lanes for cars during times of high pathway use.
Don't focus on the verb there, I'm just saying that using the past year as some kind of measuring stick for usage is questionable at best.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #1073
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You know, they say ignorance is bliss but it's pretty rare to get such a shining example.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #1074
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Don't focus on the verb there, I'm just saying that using the past year as some kind of measuring stick for usage is questionable at best.

I'll focus on the verb because it's the basis for your comparison. The temporary repurposing of space based on usage is clearly something the system can handle despite the rabid objections and long-standing grudges of people over the Bow River Flow.

What Roads are basing future use on is how many people will need to drive in and out of downtown every day. As being able to reduce the number of lanes used by vehicles has an associated drop in maintenance costs, so the more they can repurpose the more money is saved.

The city also did adjust public transit as usage dropped during restrictions.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #1075
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
If Calgary actually adopted her vision for the city (increased density, less sprawl, improved walkability, more mixed-use neighbourhoods, greater access to public transportation, less dependency on private automobiles), it would save city taxpayers hundreds of millions -- if not billions -- over the long term.
Ah, but you're assuming fiscal conservatism is about saving money and not about perpetuating the status quo and its benefits for a certain subsection of the electorate. City planning already picks winners and losers, and the winners want to keep on winning, so change is demonized as reckless spending, aka spending on things that don't directly benefit me.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #1076
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find it interesting that some are framing the discussion around Druh in terms of how she's great and how could anyone not support her. It doesn't have to be binary, or even partisan. I live in her riding, I think Chu and Farkas are morons and worse councillors than Farrell, but I (and a majority of the voters in her ward) don't like her enough to vote for her. For me it comes down to two things: on big picture issues I find her approach way too dogmatic and not nearly consultative enough (e.g. Olympics, which a majority of CP poll participants were in favour of I would note). On small, mundane community-level issues I found her staff's attitude and communication to be non-constructive, even arrogant at times.

I'm sure lots of people had positive experiences with her office, or agreed with her stance on big picture issues, or liked her more than other councillors, or agree with her underlying political leanings, or supported her for any number of other well-defined reasons. Certainly a plurality (if not a majority) of her ward's voters did last time. That was not my experience of Druh Farrell, councillor, and so I am glad she is going. I am also glad to see Magliocca and a couple others go, sad to see Keating go, I hope Chu and Farkas lose and I hope Gondek wins. One does not need to be a dyed-blue UCP supporter to be glad Druh is going, nor is such a sentiment necessarily "hate for Druh".

Last edited by RoadGame; 02-23-2021 at 09:06 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #1077
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Ah, but you're assuming fiscal conservatism is about saving money and not about perpetuating the status quo and its benefits for a certain subsection of the electorate. City planning already picks winners and losers, and the winners want to keep on winning, so change is demonized as reckless spending, aka spending on things that don't directly benefit me.

Add transportation options and allow R-1s zoning in an R-1 neighborhood? Social engineering!!!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #1078
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this last fall but I think it's worth resurrecting. I'll preface this by saying that in my past, I have indeed voted for Druh (not the last few times) and even defended her a few times on this board.

A few years back myself and a group of neighbors had a matter of concern and approached her office. You're right - I'll give her credit - her aides answered our emails, and eventually progressed to a meeting. Thing is - she governs via a set of beliefs and policies that operate at levels beyond civic government that causes her to gloss over some of actual day to day workings and local concerns of her constituents.

Put simply, her constituents are talking, she's listening, but she ain't doing nothing about it. I don't think she was always like that - seemed a little more grounded in her days on the Kensington BRZ. I attribute that to 20 years in the Councillors chair and her aspiring to do bigger things.

You might say, 'well gee you were in the wrong' there - and you might be right. Thing is - I don't think it was just us. That part in Mcrae's interview where she talks about meeting people in a dog park with 'unheard' concerns? I'd say it's accurate. I ended up talking to plenty of neighbors and members of the CA and there was a healthy amount of eye rolling when I mentioned we planned on taking the matter to her. Everyone had tips about dealing with Druh bad on their own dealings. Most said we were wasting our time.

Lots of scuttlebutt at these meetings about whether she'd run again. Was some speculation at the time that one of her trusted aides would run with her endorsement as a successor. I think she'll go provincial and help out Notley somehow....or join an urban developer like RNDSQR....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 11:38 PM   #1079
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want to thank both roadhouse and I-hate-hulse for taking the time to write out their experiences with her and why they don’t support her. Especially for somebody like me not in that riding.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:42 PM   #1080
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I will say about Druh is that she had more fortitude than any politician I've met. No one dealt with more abuse, hate, sexist nonsense, threats than her, and she just shook it off and stayed the course based on her beliefs, which were often ahead of their time. I didn't always agree with her on everything, but I deeply admire her resilience and commitment. Every council can use a person like her.

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat