Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #10741
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really wish flames management wasn't content with the goaltending we have.

Currently we have two guys who are playing like average to below average backups.

I said it in the off season and will continue to say it, this team will not make any noise in the post-season with Mike Smith as their starting goalie.

Does Rittich have a chance to bounce back here? hopefully. and hopefully it goes well

Wish there was a way to replace smith with any other goalie as a rental for the remainder of this season, whether that is to be rittich's backup or to split time with him.

I don't think it impacts chemistry in the room as I recall earlier in the year Smith throwing teammates under the bus for his terrible play so I doubt they'd care about him leaving more than any other player.

Despite his better play of late smith is still 4th last in the league in GSAA
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #10742
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

All Rittich has done in his brief NHL career is bounce back it seems. Started hot last season, cooled off, came back this year and lit it up again before cooling off a bit. So long as he doesn't need an off season to rebound, he'll probably be hot come the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #10743
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I could the flames being in on Clifford
I'm on board, just don't tell Harvey...

Spoiler!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #10744
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just because BT is endorsing his goalies publicly, doesn't mean that he isn't trying to bolster the position by looking at other options. He doesn't want to upset or undermine Rittich and Smith by publicly acknowledging that he has concerns about them being able to perform in the playoffs. That being said, I would hate to disrupt the chemistry on this team by trading away assets for a slight upgrade to the goal tending. I really don't see anyone available that is a major upgrade on Rittich and Smith, who wouldn't cost the flames some good assets and in turn, upset the chemistry on this team. It's such a fine line, that when crossed, would be the difference between success and failure in the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #10745
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I really wish flames management wasn't content with the goaltending we have.

Currently we have two guys who are playing like average to below average backups.

I said it in the off season and will continue to say it, this team will not make any noise in the post-season with Mike Smith as their starting goalie.

Does Rittich have a chance to bounce back here? hopefully. and hopefully it goes well

Wish there was a way to replace smith with any other goalie as a rental for the remainder of this season, whether that is to be rittich's backup or to split time with him.

I don't think it impacts chemistry in the room as I recall earlier in the year Smith throwing teammates under the bus for his terrible play so I doubt they'd care about him leaving more than any other player.

Despite his better play of late smith is still 4th last in the league in GSAA
We want BOB!! Can anyone recall a team picking up a goalie rental at the deadline? One of this sort of nature where he’d become #1
Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #10746
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
We want BOB!! Can anyone recall a team picking up a goalie rental at the deadline? One of this sort of nature where he’d become #1
Roloson with the Oilers and Miller with St Louis
Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #10747
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Roloson with the Oilers and Miller with St Louis
Roloson would’ve been that run to the finals? Make it happen BOB
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #10748
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
All Rittich has done in his brief NHL career is bounce back it seems. Started hot last season, cooled off, came back this year and lit it up again before cooling off a bit. So long as he doesn't need an off season to rebound, he'll probably be hot come the playoffs.
Another way of looking at it is that Rittich now has a pattern of starting off strongly and fading as the season goes. Without bringing in someone new, there are a ton of teams that will have a goaltending advantage against the Flames in the playoffs.

It's a pickle for sure. Would be nice to see how Rittich does so they can make an informed call on him as a long-term number 1, but if he falters it is going to be a bit scary having only Smith to fall back on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #10749
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Another way of looking at it is that Every Goalie Under Sigalet's Watch now has a pattern of starting off strongly and fading as the season goes.
ftfy

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #10750
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1098347461918248962
Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #10751
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Another way of looking at it is that Rittich now has a pattern of starting off strongly and fading as the season goes. Without bringing in someone new, there are a ton of teams that will have a goaltending advantage against the Flames in the playoffs.

It's a pickle for sure. Would be nice to see how Rittich does so they can make an informed call on him as a long-term number 1, but if he falters it is going to be a bit scary having only Smith to fall back on.
How could we possibly know this. Rittich didn't really have a start of the season last year as he started sporadic games in a backup role nd faltered while getting more starts during Smith's injury. This year he was great when getting large strings of starts and imo only really started to show cracks when smith started weirdly getting starts ahead of him again. Hes not had a playoffs so how can we judge how he performs there?

In short its much too small of a sample size to make any of the assumptions or inferences you're speaking about. I think that Dave was robbed of some of his confidence unrightfully, and I believe he has a much better chance of performing well in the playoffs than smith. I have no doubt in my mind that smith will Elliott the piss out of us come playoff time.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #10752
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith had a leash that would have stretched to the moon and still hasn't really gotten better imo, while rittich strings together 10 mediocre games (still maintaining better numbers than f-ing mike) and hes now a sub standard backup level tender? Piss right off with that. Smith is garbage compared to bsd.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #10753
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
He'd check a couple boxes for the Flames. One year left on the contract at 3.2 so not a rental either.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #10754
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Goalie?
Left shot defenceman?
Top six forward?

What will it be?
When will it happen?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #10755
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sounds like Coyle has been traded.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/stat...51051210674176
Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #10756
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Smith had a leash that would have stretched to the moon and still hasn't really gotten better imo, while rittich strings together 10 mediocre games (still maintaining better numbers than f-ing mike) and hes now a sub standard backup level tender? Piss right off with that. Smith is garbage compared to bsd.
The problem with these absolute statements is that you're picking unmeasurable stats based on feeling rather than actual numbers. Flames are riding whoever is hot(er). And recently it's Smith.

Last 5 GP for each goalie:
Smith 2W/3.11/.908
BSD 2W/3.71/.877
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #10757
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post

Would be a good fit on the Flames I think.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #10758
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Please be to here and not to a conference rival....
Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #10759
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe to Warshington
Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #10760
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
The problem with these absolute statements is that you're picking unmeasurable stats based on feeling rather than actual numbers. Flames are riding whoever is hot(er). And recently it's Smith.

Last 5 GP for each goalie:
Smith 2W/3.11/.908
BSD 2W/3.71/.877
Yeah but smith is sub 9 in the 3 games against playoff teams. The two games dragging up his %are against the coyotes and the Panthers.

Context goes both ways. I'm not saying BSD has been notably better as of recently, but I think he deserves as much slack as Smith got through his first 25 games, which was a metric f-ton.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread