Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2023, 07:47 PM   #1041
Username: Flames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I sure hope we see the Flames get some futures. The team is going to suck next year either way. Whether they have Lindholm or not.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #1042
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the talk of Dubois and LA what about Lindholm and LA. Imagine Kopitar, Lindholm, Danault up the middle that would be an elite defensive trio. If the Flames retained salary could they get Byfield?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:56 PM   #1043
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
With the talk of Dubois and LA what about Lindholm and LA. Imagine Kopitar, Lindholm, Danault up the middle that would be an elite defensive trio. If the Flames retained salary could they get Byfield?
I think this is better than PLD…

All roads for La go through Edmonton. The better they are down the middle defensively the more likely they will be successful.

Last edited by Owen15; 06-24-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:58 PM   #1044
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Byfield, LAF and a couple first rounders please.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:00 PM   #1045
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username: Flames View Post
I sure hope we see the Flames get some futures. The team is going to suck next year either way. Whether they have Lindholm or not.
If you look at the stage of team building LAK is entering as well, it’s only going to get worse. They’re out there looking to add Dubois, and have a bunch of youth coming - we can’t keep up with them and they’re already a better team. Add in EDM and VGK, and hey - even if we sign Lindholm to a tragically large deal - we aren’t a top-3 team in the division.

The division and our roster is telling us it’s time to rebuild. I hope Conroy and ownership listen.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 08:01 PM   #1046
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imo it feels like the flames have profoundly missed the boat already. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm feeling like the 1st rounders that will be traded are mostly already gone and I'm not confident we're in the running right now for those remaining.

Big example are the rumors about waiting for lindy to make a decision. That is the wrong choice and profoundly so. The choice was an immediate yes to the offer or trade him.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 08:05 PM   #1047
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Imo it feels like the flames have profoundly missed the boat already. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm feeling like the 1st rounders that will be traded are mostly already gone and I'm not confident we're in the running right now for those remaining.

Big example are the rumors about waiting for lindy to make a decision. That is the wrong choice and profoundly so. The choice was an immediate yes to the offer or trade him.
Let's see how the next few weeks play out - maybe there's still hope left, or Conroy is playing some real 4D chess, but right now it sure stinks like the same old Flames making the same old Flames decisions to 'be competitive' without ever being competitive.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 08:09 PM   #1048
Username: Flames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Let's see how the next few weeks play out - maybe there's still hope left, or Conroy is playing some real 4D chess, but right now it sure stinks like the same old Flames making the same old Flames decisions to 'be competitive' without ever being competitive.
I sure hope the flames see that they will suck next year, with or without lindholm. They have no star players. You can't win without star players and you can't have star players without drafting them.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:09 PM   #1049
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think the hold-up with Lindholm deciding is that this is simply not an easy decision for him to make. I don't think it is weight his options between 'money' and 'hating Calgary'. He will get the same contract anywhere he goes.

I think this is probably an honestly difficult decision for him. He broke out in Calgary, had a lot of fun times (like the purple gatorade year). Maybe it is just loyalty that he is showing back to Calgary, rewarding Calgary for signing his best buds in Markstrom and Nordstrom, as well as trading for his cousin Jarnkrok. Maybe he feels a sense of duty and responsibility.

Maybe he is simply trying to earn as much as possible. Some people like to think it is an easy decision to give up 1 million dollars a year - that's 8 million on that deal Easier decision when you are single, but with a wife and a child, even more important.

Maybe it really is all about wanting to win, and taking his time to figure out if Conroy's plan is something he can get behind, or if he feels that he will have a better chance somewhere else.

We don't have to jump at the worst case scenarios always. I doubt that Lindholm is some selfish jerk. Sure, he COULD be... but he certainly doesn't seem to be, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I also hope that he decides to move on as I prefer that this organization pivots to a more thorough rebuild rather than a retool.

There will be some huge trades yet to come. Lots of teams will be making moves from now and right through the draft. Let's just give Conroy some time to plot the course.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 08:12 PM   #1050
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username: Flames View Post
I sure hope the flames see that they will suck next year, with or without lindholm. They have no star players. You can't win without star players and you can't have star players without drafting them.
Well, you can if you're a team like New York, Vegas, or LA who can just steal them from lesser organizations while the NHL turns a blind eye.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:39 PM   #1051
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Lotta emotions flying around here this evening.

~3.5 days until day one of the draft and the Flames have already blown it. Ah well, maybe next year.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 08:40 PM   #1052
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm usually pretty negative when it comes to my sports teams but boy, I feel people are getting ahead of themselves massively when it comes to the trade situation. The draft is on Wednesday and we'll definitely see something by then, at which point we can at least judge Conroy's early work.

Today is the first day of goings on since we found out about the potential firesale and we're already proclaiming that we've missed the boat. There are still first round picks out there, there are still plenty of teams who need a lift and we're in a great position to provide one, for a price.

If nothing has happened by Tuesday then perhaps I'll join those currently occupying the doom and gloom but for now I'm staying out of it. As was pointed out by someone else earlier, you can't claim to have the patience for a rebuild when you can't see out one day of trade activity without losing it.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 08:42 PM   #1053
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep all the first rounders are gone...so many 2023 first rounders have been traded this week it's hard to keep track lol
Old 06-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #1054
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
I'm usually pretty negative when it comes to my sports teams but boy, I feel people are getting ahead of themselves massively when it comes to the trade situation. The draft is on Wednesday and we'll definitely see something by then, at which point we can at least judge Conroy's early work.

Today is the first day of goings on since we found out about the potential firesale and we're already proclaiming that we've missed the boat. There are still first round picks out there, there are still plenty of teams who need a lift and we're in a great position to provide one, for a price.

If nothing has happened by Tuesday then perhaps I'll join those currently occupying the doom and gloom but for now I'm staying out of it. As was pointed out by someone else earlier, you can't claim to have the patience for a rebuild when you can't see out one day of trade activity without losing it.
I know there are lawyers and some doctors, some engineers too who post here but are there any therapists? Maybe a group session could do some good?

Pretending like any of us know what’s being discussed right now between Lindholm and the Flames or the Flames and other teams about Lindholm is a little out of reach, isn’t it? Proclaiming the flames have already ‘profoundly’ messed this up is woefully uninformed.

Even if Lindholm isn’t traded by the end of the draft is still no reason to get too bent out of shape. If Lindholm is out on the market, and the Flames retain half, he’s still a highly coveted asset by multiple teams. FWIW, I believe the 2024 draft is also looking pretty good.
Old 06-24-2023, 10:09 PM   #1055
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those awaiting an update…

Old 06-24-2023, 10:12 PM   #1056
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 10:13 PM   #1057
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post

Don't tease me (insert sad face, single tear, sad puss in boots eye)

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 10:14 PM   #1058
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post

Based on the context of the gif, I'm not so sure it gon b...
Old 06-24-2023, 10:14 PM   #1059
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Based on the context of the gif, I'm not so sure it gon b...
I don't know, joker was blowing it up...just took a little longer than he thought.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 10:16 PM   #1060
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post

Strange. I was told the Flames had profoundly missed the boat already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post: