Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2023, 04:40 PM   #10441
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
At what point does the forces fighting a correction actually capitulate?

I just can't imagine builders sitting on empty plots because noone is willing to pay 1.5M to put a spec estate home (but maybe 1.2M is the right price). What would have to happen in your opinion to see builders start moving on their pricing? You mentioned that move-in ready homes are starting to show a bit of the strain in the buying markets, so there's gotta be some pressure and a future breaking point right?
Good questions.
It is important to be clear that there are different business models. For example, you reference builders with lots building homes as speculation, which may be what most people think of when they think of "homebuilders". We have been it that marketplace on a small scale, but typically our residential work is building custom homes for clients who already own their own land. Totally different dynamics.

In our case, we find that our clientele isn't much affected by market forces or interest rates. If you are wealthy and planning to build your dream home, you typically don't abandon it if the prime rate goes up. First-time home buyers are obviously in a different situation.

The spec home market will be very susceptible to mortgage rates, both on the purchaser side and the developer/builder side, as carrying costs for construction financing are tied to lending rates as well. I wouldn't want to have a stock of houses sitting on the market right now.

Both of these markets (custom and spec) are not particularly relevant to the discussion of affordable housing, as neither is particularly affordable, certainly not in the context of getting people out of rentals or off the streets. I believe that is another discussion that must include multi-family buildings. I don't believe there is an answer to affordable housing that involves single-family homes. We will see, I suppose.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #10442
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is there some kind of new housing construction method where the entire build is done with this supposed lumber that has come down in price so much?

Trusses
Floor Joists
OSB
Sub Floor
Framing Material

Has come down in price.

Foundation Work
Cement
Windows
Doors
Electrical
HVAC
Cabinets
Roofing Material
Appliances
Flooring
Countertops
Insulation
Drywall
Paint
AND Labor

Has not come down the same way. Some has continued to get more expensive.

But definitely more interested to learn about your housing construction method where you can build an entire house with just lumber.
Also consider things like vehicles. A promaster van has increased in price by 60% since the pandemic.
Commercial lease rates are skyrocketing. I know a business owner who bought his own building, as he would rather pay the mortgage on it than the 60k/year increase to the lease!
Fuel goes without saying.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:32 AM   #10443
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Also consider things like vehicles. A promaster van has increased in price by 60% since the pandemic.
Commercial lease rates are skyrocketing. I know a business owner who bought his own building, as he would rather pay the mortgage on it than the 60k/year increase to the lease!
Fuel goes without saying.
Transportation is a big one.

Heating costs to build in the winter are huge as well.

Honestly not that hard to see how rising costs + labour shortage + massive demand = prices gone crazy.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:09 AM   #10444
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Transportation is a big one.

Heating costs to build in the winter are huge as well.

Honestly not that hard to see how rising costs + labour shortage + massive demand = prices gone crazy.
That isn't really why housing costs have gone crazy. Cost inputs have some effect, sure. But at the end of the day, the cost is set by what people are willing to pay, not what it costs to make
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 08:10 PM   #10445
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
That isn't really why housing costs have gone crazy. Cost inputs have some effect, sure. But at the end of the day, the cost is set by what people are willing to pay, not what it costs to make
What people are willing/able to pay is set by how cheap the financing is. Costs just fill the void because capitalism demands constant growth.

Rolling it back is extremely difficult for obvious reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 07:18 AM   #10446
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Yes, called massive demand.

People are driving up an already high price because they are willing to pay anything almost to get a house. Massive demand.

Which is what I said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 05:33 PM   #10447
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

But why aren’t we building more affordable starter homes? Everything I see now apparently has to have granite countertops and the word “luxury” in it.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 01:09 AM   #10448
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is still using granite countertops??
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 07:12 AM   #10449
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Who is still using granite countertops??
What’s the new go-to? Man made quartz is getting banned in Australia due to the silicosis I think, so you’d think that those days are numbered? And compared to wood/marble and similar materials, granite is where it’s at.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:16 AM   #10450
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Mine haven't gone anywhere so I'm still using them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #10451
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What’s the new go-to? Man made quartz is getting banned in Australia due to the silicosis I think, so you’d think that those days are numbered? And compared to wood/marble and similar materials, granite is where it’s at.
Engineered quartz is still the most common. I'm not up in the story dfrom Australia, but I believe it is simply a matter of bad/lack of proper protective gear for the underpaid workers cutting and polishing it. Like so many products, it is not inherently dangerous if you aren't turning it into dust and inhaling it.

Granite and marble are still part of the market place, and we are seeing granite with a recent resurgence.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:33 PM   #10452
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

When did granite countertops go out of style?! This is news to me. I see them in many new homes and they typically look great.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 01:55 PM   #10453
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting; first I've heard that.
Quartz based stones are definitely the most common. There's also new products like Dekton I'm starting to see a lot.
Marble or travertine are in higher end homes.

Granite is still out there, I just found the post funny in the implications that it's the go to for new luxury homes. That would have been the case 15 years ago.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #10454
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soapstone is probably my favorite look for countertops although we installed a sandstone countertop and it looks awesome and is pretty unique.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #10455
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
When did granite countertops go out of style?! This is news to me. I see them in many new homes and they typically look great.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #10456
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
They just call them granite. Most of those tops are quartz.

To the earlier poster who asked why every home needs a quartz / granite, good question. Laminate tops are durable as well. Most times builder will put in quartz tops and cheap out on the cabinet hardware because 'Quartz Countertops' sells better.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:13 AM   #10457
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Great… I did this work for a while and didn’t have the best leadership or support as a young impressionable worker. This pops up in my brain every once in a while like a ticking time bomb I think will go off.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #10458
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
But why aren’t we building more affordable starter homes? Everything I see now apparently has to have granite countertops and the word “luxury” in it.

Much of the inner city was post-war cookie-cutter bungalows. That’s how you get affordable mass-housing (other than multi-plexes). Granite counter tops come when you can afford to rip one down and build an infill.

Last edited by edslunch; 12-18-2023 at 10:19 AM.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 08:33 AM   #10459
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm hanging on to the Arborite/Formica/etc countertops in my post-war inner-city bungalow until laminate countertops are back in style! Aaaaany day now!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:47 AM   #10460
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Interesting; first I've heard that.
Quartz based stones are definitely the most common. There's also new products like Dekton I'm starting to see a lot.
Marble or travertine are in higher end homes.

Granite is still out there, I just found the post funny in the implications that it's the go to for new luxury homes. That would have been the case 15 years ago.
I guess a lot of people like marble, but to me that is questionable. It's so porous and I'd do granite before marble for sure.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote