Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #1021
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wait.. watching him cut off another mans penis isn't classified under 'weird'?

Sweet jesus.
We didn't actually have to watch him do that, did we?
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #1022
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the biggest issue the TV thread is having with the "Trial by Combat" thing is that on the show you haven't gotten a good idea of how Cersei has loaded the witnesses against him.

You haven't really seen Tyrion asking Pod to bring people and them not willing to help him because they have been bought.

Just another case where the show hasn't really been able to relay the whole scope of what is happening.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #1023
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly after this season, I feel the show is going to go downhill... not much drama or significant deaths arise after Storm of Storms.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #1024
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For Sansa, they are going to have to start either a) making up stuff or b) leaving her out of the show for awhile. Her written storyline is pretty much done now in the TV show isn't it?
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #1025
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That was done pretty well although I don't know why they changed the payoff line to "your sister".
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #1026
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya my thoughts exactly

Only cat is such a great line
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #1027
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
For Sansa, they are going to have to start either a) making up stuff or b) leaving her out of the show for awhile. Her written storyline is pretty much done now in the TV show isn't it?
You mean for this season? There's only 3 episodes left and the trial and aftermath along with the battle at Castle Black and its aftermath should take about an episode each. Some season resolutions of a couple other plots, like Meereen, Bran, Arya and the Hound, and Catelyn coming back doesn't leave much time for Sansa. Maybe just showing how Littlefinger frames someone for Lysa.

If you mean for the following seasons. There's all of her Feast for Crows stuff. The Lords Declarant and her transformation into Alayne could very easily be fleshed out if they wanted. Maybe not to the excitement of most fans but the Vale should be one of the strongest players in the game given their neutrality and Littlefinger's planning. Establishing important people like Bronze Yohn Royce would probably make sense down the road.

----
But yeah, definitely should have been "Only Cat."

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-19-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1028
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I remember seeing an interview where the shows creators were talking about the Red Winning as their "We need to translate this into a movie/show" moment. For me it was reading the battle between Oberyn and The Mountain. I think they nailed the character, now I eagerly await the scene.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #1029
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Honestly after this season, I feel the show is going to go downhill... not much drama or significant deaths arise after Storm of Storms.
Didn't they say they'd combine a bunch of books? Maybe that book won't be covered as much in the show. Plus... they did add a bunch of new characters that weren't in the books.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #1030
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They didn't so much add new characters as replace ones who were already there. Also, if they start combining books they will absolutely get through the story before Martin is finished.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #1031
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
They didn't so much add new characters as replace ones who were already there. Also, if they start combining books they will absolutely get through the story before Martin is finished.
They combined three books and will be spreading it over a few season I thought. Martin already told writers what his intended ending for the book will be so I guess it won't be a huge loss.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #1032
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess, except I'll have to stop watching the show.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #1033
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Only Cat" was changed because TV viewers don't know/remember who "Cat" is. There are too many characters to keep up with already, much less their nicknames. There were a dozen scenes the past couple episodes to remind the audience that they're even sisters.

"wait, so littlefinger killed that crazy chick because he loves sir pounce?"

I argued before the season began that this would be a let-down scene if someone was expecting it to be some huge reveal and shock like Ned's death and the red wedding. Don't think many care.

Who will Littlefinger blame her death on though? No Marillion.

Don't really like the Mountain casting. Looks like a bit of the gentle giant type instead of a psycho giant. Stoked on the upcoming duel though. Oberyn's death was cruel in the books.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #1034
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well first of all I don't think they should be writing the show differently so as to allow morons / people who aren't paying attention to keep up more easily. Cat was mentioned multiple times in this very episode, including the immediately previous scene. Anyone who responds to "Only Cat" with "Who's Cat" in those circumstances isn't worth the effort.

And yeah no one really cared the way they did it. Part of the "big reveal" is that Littlefinger was behind the death of Jon Arryn and drove the entire plot of the series in Westeros, and they sort of split that off. Agree, no Marillion; my guess is that they just say she slipped or something.

As long as the duel is well done that's all that matters.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #1035
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
If you mean for the following seasons. There's all of her Feast for Crows stuff. The Lords Declarant and her transformation into Alayne could very easily be fleshed out if they wanted. Maybe not to the excitement of most fans but the Vale should be one of the strongest players in the game given their neutrality and Littlefinger's planning. Establishing important people like Bronze Yohn Royce would probably make sense down the road.
It has been awhile since I read Feast of Crows, I thought that tossing Lysa out the Moon Door was from book 4. I guess Sansa does have a bit more for upcoming seasons.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #1036
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One of the things that bugged me was the establishing scene of the Mountain which was so hilariously cheesy instead of badass. They're kind of paying for not developing the Mountain a bit better in the first three seasons. You didn't need to go into a ton of character development for the Mountain but a couple scenes showing that he was an accomplished and ruthless battlefield commander and that he was Tywin's go-to weapon for fear and terror would make the payoff battle much better.

Instead we're given some grindhouse scene of the mountain killing, what are those? Slaves? Convicts? To establish his badassery? Ridiculously cheesy and transparent. That scene would have been much better used to go into Oberyn a bit more and how awesome he is.

Anyway, slight annoyance.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #1037
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Those poor sobs in the other thread contemplating on what Oberyn will do after beating The Mountain. So far no one has even brought up the possibility that he doesn't win, so I think that will be a shocking scene for many
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #1038
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea it sure sucked to read it... "Awesome, he beat The Mountain! I can't believ--- *face smash* .... *#@& you Martin."

Fool me once..

Episode 8 preview:

Last edited by GreenLantern; 05-20-2014 at 09:17 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #1039
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to remember the passage with the fight, but didn't Oberyn pull a classic WWF/WWE move and turn his back while gloating thinking he won?

I seem to recall it like that, and being upset about it going down like that at the time.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #1040
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have to look it up, but I thought he leaned in to look The Mountain in the face. When close enough The Mountain smashed in his face.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming