Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2021, 07:44 PM   #1021
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
He signed for less in Florida than he was offered in Ottawa so why would he come to Calgary when he can choose a place that is a lot more open (in terms of pandemic life) and a place that offered him a big opportunity.

It is not an old standby for Brad it is a straight up fact that Calgary is not a desirable location for NHL players.
He was not offered anything by Ottawa after he left for free agency. There is no confirmation of what he was offered before he went to free agency. What we know is that Ottawa refused to qualify him at 1.8 million a year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn...5819%3ftsn-amp

After that he sat around for 71 days waiting for someone to call him. But it is possible that he still had a very small list on December 16th and the Flames were not on it I guess.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #1022
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Or just you manufacturing something else out of nothing
Real stuff isn’t enough so let’s make up things to also blame BT for.
He turned down Ottawa
Maybe he had a list of teams he was willing to join particularly when the money became less than he thought it would be
Maybe he didn’t want to play in Canada
Maybe he likes warmer weather
Maybe he felt he’d get a better opportunity with the Panthers
I don’t know
Neither do you
He never turned down Ottawa. Ottawa turned him down. Basic facts should be adhered to don't you think?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #1023
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jovo the analyst on Fox Sports Sun (Florida) with some nice post game comments about Benny and his linemates.

Now talking about Lomberg. Lol
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #1024
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
He never turned down Ottawa. Ottawa turned him down. Basic facts should be adhered to don't you think?
Asked about the situation in French, Duclair said the Senators had offered him a one-year deal before the decision was made to allow him to test unrestricted free agency. There is talk the Senators offered Duclair a deal in the range of $3.25 million per-season but the negotiations never really got very far.Dec. 19,

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawasu...7d1b71187/amp/

According to Ottawa Senators insider Brent Wallace, Duclair is believed to have turned down a lucrative deal from the Sens that seems to be far more money than he’s going to get should he sign elsewhere. Wallace was on Ottawa’s TSN 1200 and reports that the Senators offered three years and and average annual value of $4.25 million to stick with the club. Duclair said no, believing he could do better on the open market.

https://nhltradetalk.com/did-duclair...n-free-agency/
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #1025
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Asked about the situation in French, Duclair said the Senators had offered him a one-year deal before the decision was made to allow him to test unrestricted free agency. There is talk the Senators offered Duclair a deal in the range of $3.25 million per-season but the negotiations never really got very far.Dec. 19,

According to Ottawa Senators insider Brent Wallace, Duclair is believed to have turned down a lucrative deal from the Sens that seems to be far more money than he’s going to get should he sign elsewhere. Wallace was on Ottawa’s TSN 1200 and reports that the Senators offered three years and and average annual value of $4.25 million to stick with the club. Duclair said no, believing he could do better on the open market.

And then the Sens refused to qualify him at 1.8 million with arbitration rights. That is how he became a free agent to execute his master plan to sign for 1.7 million in Florida. My statement was that as a UFA any team, including the Calgary Flames, could have had him. That is still how UFA works, any team could have a player if a contract is signed. It is different from RFA where the original team has the right to match. Not sure how a statement that any team could have had him, including the Calgary Flames, is an attack on Brad Treliving.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 04-20-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #1026
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup
I stated he turned them down
Which he did
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #1027
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I haven’t followed Huberdeau closely

Can you enlighten me on the beneficiaries of the Huberdeau effect?
Elite playmaker. One of the best in the league but doesn't get recognized for it. Has no problem making high skill dekes or digging in the corners to retrieve a puck. Can shoot it really well too when given the chance. His vision is incredible.

Honestly, when Barkov and Huberdeau played on the same line they could literally put an inanimate carbon rod on a line with them and the rod would score 20 goals.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #1028
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup
I stated he turned them down
Which he did
No he did not, because the Sens turned him down by not qualifying him. That is how RFA works. For example, this offseason if Dillon Dube does not accept the Flames offer he does not become a UFA. The fact that Dube may not accept the Flames offer does not accomplish that. The Flames would have to turn down the offer to sign him to the qualifying offer for that to happen.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #1029
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Elite playmaker. One of the best in the league but doesn't get recognized for it. Has no problem making high skill dekes or digging in the corners to retrieve a puck. Can shoot it really well too when given the chance. His vision is incredible.

Honestly, when Barkov and Huberdeau played on the same line they could literally put an inanimate carbon rod on a line with them and the rod would score 20 goals.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #1030
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Panthers are definitely the team I'm cheering for, and now doubly so. But people seem to conveniently forget they have sucked for such a long time. For awhile there, they looked like Buffalo, a team that finishes perpetually bottom of the league. They've amassed a lot of prospects that all seem to have finally turned it up, with one of the best coaches in the league guiding them. Fun team to watch for sure.
What's funny to me is that just last year they were pretty much unwatchable garbage. Coach Q and Bobrovsky were there. Most of the defensive corps was the same. They couldn't stop a beach ball.

All of a sudden this year Gudas signs to add a physical edge on the lower pairs, and Weegar becomes a top pairing defenseman when he was barely staying in the league. Ekblad was having a Norris season before he got hurt. Forsling has been a revelation too.

The forwards had a big overhaul, but honestly I thought it would be the team's weakness. Sure, you had Barkov and Huberdeau to build around, but they added major question marks in Duclair, Verhaeghe, Wennberg, and an over-the-hill Hornqvist. Guys like Tippett, Lammikko, Luostarinen, and Marchment had done nothing of note in their careers until this season. None of it should have worked, but everything went much better than expected.

Sometimes a team does well due to calculated risk taking, but other times it's just dumb luck that it all comes together at the same time.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #1031
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I remember correctly it’s because they were afraid of arbitration and a number too high to not be able to walk away from, or something like that.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #1032
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
No he did not, because the Sens turned him down by not qualifying him. That is how RFA works. For example, this offseason if Dillon Dube does not accept the Flames offer he does not become a UFA. The fact that Dube may not accept the Flames offer does not accomplish that. The Flames would have to turn down the offer to sign him to the qualifying offer for that to happen.
Wtf
They offered him a contract and he turned them down
Then later they chose not to qualify him
Both are true
But it is a fact that he turned down a contract to stay with Ottawa
Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #1033
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

For what it's worth, Duclair said he never got the big offer from Ottawa.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thou...thony-duclair/

@35:40. Says the report isn't true and he was shocked Ottawa didn't qualify him. Was only ever offered a 1 year deal and Pierre Dorion said the team could offer a 2 year deal the next time around if he signed the 1 year deal.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #1034
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #1035
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What's funny to me is that just last year they were pretty much unwatchable garbage. Coach Q and Bobrovsky were there. Most of the defensive corps was the same. They couldn't stop a beach ball.

All of a sudden this year Gudas signs to add a physical edge on the lower pairs, and Weegar becomes a top pairing defenseman when he was barely staying in the league. Ekblad was having a Norris season before he got hurt. Forsling has been a revelation too.

The forwards had a big overhaul, but honestly I thought it would be the team's weakness. Sure, you had Barkov and Huberdeau to build around, but they added major question marks in Duclair, Verhaeghe, Wennberg, and an over-the-hill Hornqvist. Guys like Tippett, Lammikko, Luostarinen, and Marchment had done nothing of note in their careers until this season. None of it should have worked, but everything went much better than expected.

Sometimes a team does well due to calculated risk taking, but other times it's just dumb luck that it all comes together at the same time.
I think when you have a coach like Q it's only a matter of time before it clicks. Last year was a bit of a transition, but it seems like the whole team has bought in this season and it's working perfectly

As a Flames fan I hope Sutter can instill a similar work ethic and culture with this group and turn it around next season

To keep it on topic for the thread, I wish Bennett was a part of this Flames group still lol. I'll be cheering him and the Panthers on in the playoffs this year
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #1036
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wtf
They offered him a contract and he turned them down
Then later they chose not to qualify him
Both are true
But it is a fact that he turned down a contract to stay with Ottawa
Fair enough. Duclair confirmed they offered him a one year deal. He turned that down. They refused to offer him a different one year deal. He became a UFA. Both can be true and then he became a UFA that any team in the NHL could have signed to mutually agreeable compensation. I thought your reply was that rumored offers that were not confirmed by Duclair that may have been turned down triggered UFA.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #1037
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I think when you have a coach like Q it's only a matter of time before it clicks. Last year was a bit of a transition, but it seems like the whole team has bought in this season and it's working perfectly

As a Flames fan I hope Sutter can instill a similar work ethic and culture with this group and turn it around next season

To keep it on topic for the thread, I wish Bennett was a part of this Flames group still lol. I'll be cheering him and the Panthers on in the playoffs this year
From your lips to the hockey gods ears. I haven't been able to stomach a full Flames game in a while. There's something deeply wrong with the team or the players themselves. I honestly believe there needs to be a bit of a housecleaning before the team gets better. Move on from most of the forwards and keep a couple key pieces to build around.

The only problem is that the Flames don't have a lot of elite talent to build around. If I was the G.M. I would keep Johnny and Lindholm and say goodbye to everyone else. Those are the only guys that have the skillset needed for a winning team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #1038
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it’s a weird situation with so many different accounts of what did and didn’t happen
But it seems like indeed the risk of a high arbitration awards that they couldn’t walk away from was part of the decision for Ottawa
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawasu...9a66d4927/amp/
Old 04-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #1039
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Because it’s not true that “anyone could have had him”
As a free agent that choice was his
Anyone could have had him within the group of teams he was willing to sign with
We don’t know if he would have considered the Flame or not
Quote:
11 goals the year before
5 the year before that
20 before that
Quote:
Hmmmm I’m a young millionaire
Calgary or Florida
Hmmmmm
Quote:
Or just you manufacturing something else out of nothing
Real stuff isn’t enough so let’s make up things to also blame BT for.
He turned down Ottawa
Maybe he had a list of teams he was willing to join particularly when the money became less than he thought it would be
Maybe he didn’t want to play in Canada
Maybe he likes warmer weather
Maybe he felt he’d get a better opportunity with the Panthers
I don’t know
Neither do you
I’m sorry but I keep reading these like they’re poems. Am I supposed to be reading them as poems?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #1040
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m sorry but I keep reading these like they’re poems. Am I supposed to be reading them as poems?
Jiri is eyeing vaccine 2, and so ready for the coffee house open mics
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: