Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #1021
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I sold my condo in a week during the height of the pandemic in 2020.

I think location, the condition the unit is in and, most of all, the asking price are the key factors. Condos are always in demand for the right price.
Absolutely.

The problem a lot of condo owners in Calgary are having is that "right" price today is often less than it was in 2014...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #1022
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

My wife and I sold a condo last year in Edmonton. We got asking price and it took about a week.

The location, recent renos, two-parking stalls next to each other and healthy condo board finances all contributed.

That said, we did sell for less than was bought for in 2013. But not that much.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 01:51 PM   #1023
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

As a family of two kids, things we prioritize: Easy access to schools, parks/activities, safety, having other families around, character, elbow room, good value.
Zero effs given about: Easy access to restaurants, nightlife, culture hotspots. Not that we don't like those things...but we rarely get to take advantage of those things in our day to day life, so they are down the list of priorities and not something we need to pay for. On the off chance we go to a restaurant, it's not a tragedy if we have to drive.
As a parent of 2 small children this mirrors my priorities. Buy/pay for the things you need/want to use 90-95% of the time and don't fuss over the things you use sparingly.

I might go to a restaurant, nightspot, 'culture hotspot' outside of work requirements like once or twice a month. Not by choice, but by the simple time realities of being a working parent. I find a lot of new parents sometimes still in their own mind think they aren't far off form their carefree childless days where dining at the trendiest restaurants was a staple. Once the kids are in pre-school and school you're social life almost entirely revolves around their activities.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #1024
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most are getting help from their parents. I think that’s well-established. It’s amazing how generous the bank of mom and dad becomes once grandkids enter the picture.

What does that show us? It shows us that even at those eye-watering prices, couples will do whatever it takes - beg, borrow, steal - to get into a detached home. They’ll take on $600k more in debt to upgrade from a downtown condo to a suburban family home. Living in the high density city centre was just a transitional lifestyle phase.

The flight from urban centres during the pandemic also shows us that a great many people with property there did not love the lifestyle, but only lived in the inner city because it was convenient for work. Remove or reduce the need to go into the office and the utility of living close to the office goes down.
I think if 3 bedroom places, with proper layouts, were readily available close to the city centre, those places would be in very high demand. Everyone has their own preferences, but a 3 bedroom townhouse in the city vs. a detached home in Surrey/Coquitlam is not even a contest. The problem is so few of those townhouses currently exist.

Once again, I'll point to Montreal as the model of how to do things properly. Montreal has a variety of well built 3 bedroom townhouses close to the city centre that sell for $700k-1.2 million, and those are extremely popular with families.

The "missing middle" is definitely a thing outside of Montreal. IMO people are only moving away from the city centres, because they absolutely have to. When I speak to people who make that move, it's always the same story. They are in a 600-800 square foot condo, which is no longer liveable with multiple kids or kids older than 5. They would like to find more space, but the quality of anything bigger that's also within their budget just doesn't make it possible. So they reluctantly move to the suburbs. Some adjust and are able to find great child orientated social groups. Others end up alcoholics and philanderers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #1025
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We have busses and trains.
Things that existed before the petrochemical boom. Short of a massive contraction in quality of life we aren't shedding the private vehicle. I think some folks underappreciate how much economic activity is tied to private vehicle ownership and the productivity gains provided by it. Sure some people live in a niche where they don't need a car, but that is the exception not the rule.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #1026
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Once again, I'll point to Montreal as the model of how to do things properly. Montreal has a variety of well built 3 bedroom townhouses close to the city centre that sell for $700k-1.2 million, and those are extremely popular with families.
But isn't that the problem, even in Montreal which has had a relatively mild real estate boom the price of such homes are still way above what the local median household can afford (or should spend).

Quote:
IMO people are only moving away from the city centres, because they absolutely have to.
In a ideal world, people would have a large home near where they work and amenities, and a large estate in the country when they don't need to be in the city. But given financial limits, once motorized transportation (and especially cars) became available for day-to-day trips, people prioritized space/$. Hence most city cores in the NE and Midwest US and parts of western Europe being no bigger and often lower in population than they were 50-100 years ago.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #1027
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
But isn't that the problem, even in Montreal which has had a relatively mild real estate boom the price of such homes are still way above what the local median household can afford (or should spend).

In a ideal world, people would have a large home near where they work and amenities, and a large estate in the country when they don't need to be in the city. But given financial limits, once motorized transportation (and especially cars) became available for day-to-day trips, people prioritized space/$. Hence most city cores in the NE and Midwest US and parts of western Europe being no bigger and often lower in population than they were 50-100 years ago.
I was responding to the point people generally prioritize detached homes over location. This isn't true. This group, which contains mostly people who live in Calgary, so this group has an inherent bias towards detached homes. Obviously I get that everyone has their own priorities, but my point is that we'd see a lot more people staying closer to city centres if they had more housing options, specifically if more 3 bedroom townhouses were available.

The whole issue with incomes vs. housing prices has been out of proportion for a long time. People are simply borrowing huge amounts at record low interest rates.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #1028
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Honestly, not that you should take anonymous advice from someone on the internet, I'd try to hold off for a while and wait for inventories to become closer to average. I realise there are a million factors here, not the least of which could be a realtor telling you that you need to "buy now because you're out of the market and what if it rockets up?!?!"

But looking ahead, spring would generally have more listings and more homes on the market. Interest rates could well rise within the week or in March, depending on who you listen to regarding that. I think both of those might be better. (And of course you can get rates locked in to protect yourself in that event...)
I usually try to avoid taking advice from a Spurs supporter, but this is exactly what we are going to do.

We are in the fortunate position of already owning a house we are happy with, so we don’t need to get involved in the craziness. We would like to size up a bit now that we have two kids, but it is definitely a want and not a need.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #1029
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I usually try to avoid taking advice from a Spurs supporter, but this is exactly what we are going to do.

We are in the fortunate position of already owning a house we are happy with, so we don’t need to get involved in the craziness. We would like to size up a bit now that we have two kids, but it is definitely a want and not a need.
Haha, it could be worse, what if I supported United?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #1030
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Are people with children overly concerned with walkability, entertainment, culture, and restaurants? I have a 2.5 year old and basically none of those rate highly on my pyramid of needs.
Yes. Being able to walk your kid to day care is far better than having to drive.

Quote:
Small yard, traffic, constant supervision required.
This is a misnomer. Small house? Sure. But the yards in the burbs are far smaller than you can get in an inner city walkable neighbourhood if that's your priority.

Last edited by kevman; 01-24-2022 at 03:59 PM.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #1031
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, it could be worse, what if I supported United?
I’d have bought a house out of spite!
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #1032
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We recently switched out from a newish semi-detached infill (ie your typical 3 story narrow box duplex) in a great inner city community to a fully-detached older home slightly further out...for about 5-10% increase in cost, and are pretty satisfied with the move. The infill was a great for us to raise 2 small kids out of, but we had outgrown it the last few years...not necessarily because of size, but more in terms of the layout (it felt like living in a really tall railroad car and we were always on separate floors). There were also some noise/crime issues on our street that were starting to get a bit out of hand because of us being so close to a main street...it wasn't the primary reason, but it certainly didn't help.

Even though our house is older (1930) I have to say from an "investment" perspective, I'm much more comfortable with having my money be mostly tied to the land, as opposed to the building that sits on it, or silly things like finishings. Our infill was a ticking-time bomb...it looked great at the start, but construction quality was suspect, and I was never fully comfortable with having my biggest asset directly tied to a stranger.

As a family of two kids, things we prioritize: Easy access to schools, parks/activities, safety, having other families around, character, elbow room, good value.
Zero effs given about: Easy access to restaurants, nightlife, culture hotspots. Not that we don't like those things...but we rarely get to take advantage of those things in our day to day life, so they are down the list of priorities and not something we need to pay for. On the off chance we go to a restaurant, it's not a tragedy if we have to drive.
care to elaborate on what you mean by this?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #1033
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Spoiler!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #1034
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A lot of infills (most?) are duplexes.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #1035
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, not unlike with a condo or apartment, when you're part of a duplex you're tied at the hip because you physically share the property, so everything one side does has the potential to affect the other. It's not necessarily a problem, but it has the potential to be if you (or they) ever want to make changes to the property and there is disagreement.

You also roll the dice with who your neighbours are as people in terms of lifestyle/habits. Case in point, last spring our duplex neighbours decided to go to Victoria for a few months, and AirBNB'd out their place during the time. So every Friday/Saturday for a month their unit became a party pad for 20-30 kids (because they couldn't go to clubs due to Covid restrictions, they decided to illegally party in AirBnBs). These parties got so out of control (broken bottles and pissing on our lawn, fights amongst different groups etc) that the cops had to be called several times. That was probably what sealed the deal in us wanting a detached home.

You can't pick your neighbours with a detached house either. But I do find having a physical (and financial) buffer does offer peace of mind.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #1036
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I was responding to the point people generally prioritize detached homes over location. This isn't true. This group, which contains mostly people who live in Calgary, so this group has an inherent bias towards detached homes. Obviously I get that everyone has their own priorities, but my point is that we'd see a lot more people staying closer to city centres if they had more housing options, specifically if more 3 bedroom townhouses were available.
The replies in this thread have basically evidenced this.
The Vancouver residents saying inner city amenities and walkable communities are important to them and the Calgarians saying they're not.
In general, the view on this is very different between the 2 cities.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:42 PM   #1037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The Vancouver residents saying inner city amenities and walkable communities are important to them and the Calgarians saying they're not.
Vancouver doesn't have a lot of choice though, unless you want a really long commute. I think Calgary shows when people are given a choice, they mostly choose SFH.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #1038
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison though.

For one, inner city Vancouver has far more vibrant, walkable communities than inner city Calgary and on top of that, the climate is more conducive to walking, so obviously it has more appeal.

Secondly (and probably more importantly), detached single family homes in Vancouver are so stratospherically priced that the average person has had to resign themselves to multi-family living, lest they endure a 90 minute commute. If the decision becomes to live in a single family home 100km from DT, or live in a smaller multi family home closer in, I could become more of a walkable community enthusiast as well.

Calgary pricing isn't to the point where that decision is basically made for people.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #1039
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

We bought a newish duplex in inner city - just liked being close to the good asian restaurants, and close to Elementary & JR High Schools so our kids can walk.

Love being able to walk my daughter to kindergarten each day and be home within 10 mins.

Neighbors are great, and if the ones in the attached side decide to sell, we will likely buy it to own the whole land, and let my wife's family live there.

That being said, if we spent the money we did on a place out in Chestermere, would have got a lot more for it, but just didn't want the long commute to get anything good (i.e. food, Flames games, my leagues I play in, etc.) and my wife will have to return to the office at some point.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:02 PM   #1040
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, not unlike with a condo or apartment, when you're part of a duplex you're tied at the hip because you physically share the property, so everything one side does has the potential to affect the other. It's not necessarily a problem, but it has the potential to be if you (or they) ever want to make changes to the property and there is disagreement.

You also roll the dice with who your neighbours are as people in terms of lifestyle/habits. Case in point, last spring our duplex neighbours decided to go to Victoria for a few months, and AirBNB'd out their place during the time. So every Friday/Saturday for a month their unit became a party pad for 20-30 kids (because they couldn't go to clubs due to Covid restrictions, they decided to illegally party in AirBnBs). These parties got so out of control (broken bottles and pissing on our lawn, fights amongst different groups etc) that the cops had to be called several times. That was probably what sealed the deal in us wanting a detached home.

You can't pick your neighbours with a detached house either. But I do find having a physical (and financial) buffer does offer peace of mind.
Ahh

I wasn't aware that the infill you lived in was a duplex. Most of the infills I tend to notice i.e. Killarney or Altadore seem to be detached

When I was a kid, my parents used to own a rental duplex and I always found it to be such a weird concept to split a house into two units.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote