Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #1021
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Rheault played 14:34 in his NHL debut. He had 3 hits, 1 shot on goal and was +1 on the night.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #1022
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irving's numbers since being sent down (4 games):

1.70 GAA
0.942 SV%
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #1023
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Irving's numbers since being sent down (4 games):

1.70 GAA
0.942 SV%
I don't have time right now, but it would be interesting to see Brust's numbers since the Flames signed Taylor. He's really gone downhill since then.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #1024
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't have time right now, but it would be interesting to see Brust's numbers since the Flames signed Taylor. He's really gone downhill since then.
I don't know if Brust has played since then but about a week ago he had a .860something sv% and GAA over 3.5 since Taylor was signed. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers but this is what I remembered reading somewhere else
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #1025
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brust's numbers since Taylor got signed (Feb. 6):

4.25 GAA
0.839 SV%
2-6-0-0

Brust's numbers prior to Taylor getting signed:

1.69 GAA
0.940 SV%
9-6-2-4
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #1026
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bad start for the Heat and Irving. Down 2-0 less than 10 minutes in against Rochester. Irving pulled for Taylor.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #1027
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
Bad start for the Heat and Irving. Down 2-0 less than 10 minutes in against Rochester. Irving pulled for Taylor.
Man, he is just scared of Taylor or something, whenever that guy gets near Irving he suddenly sucks, I'm thinking some voodoo is the most likely cause.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #1028
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Man, he is just scared of Taylor or something, whenever that guy gets near Irving he suddenly sucks, I'm thinking some voodoo is the most likely cause.
I'm following the game on Twitter so I don't know how the goals were. I'm hoping the change in goaltending was in hope of changing momentum. I'm beginning to question Ward's decisions lately Reinhart's benching a couple games ago and now a tight leash with Irving tonight.

Before his callup last season the duo worked well together but since than Taylor has outplayed Irving.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1029
junior
Draft Pick

What has Reinhart done that he should not take his turn in the stands. I think jones should be the next one to sit. This is an nhler who has yet to record a point with maximum amounts of ice time. Ward is not a development coach. His goal is to get into the NHL. But from what I have seen that is not going to happen
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #1030
Dorkmaster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
What has Reinhart done that he should not take his turn in the stands. I think jones should be the next one to sit. This is an nhler who has yet to record a point with maximum amounts of ice time. Ward is not a development coach. His goal is to get into the NHL. But from what I have seen that is not going to happen
Oh look its this garbage again. All youth and no vets makes you the Oilers. You need a balance of both as well as a balance between winning and development.

Plus what evidence do you have that Ward doesn't teach development? There's plenty of little articles that mention how well the Flames AHL coaches are doing in that regard.

Last edited by Dorkmaster; 03-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Dorkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #1031
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkmaster View Post
Oh look its this garbage again. All youth and no vets makes you the Oilers. You need a balance of both as well as a balance between winning and development.

Plus what evidence do you have that Ward doesn't teach development? There's plenty of little articles that mention how well the Flames AHL coaches are doing in that regard.
Results kind of speak for themselves. Brodie is the only prospect that has graduated and stuck and half of his development was under Playfair. No other prospect has really shown much from an offensive standpoint when they get to Abbotsford and now the team isn't even winning.

Yes the drafting hasn't been great but what evidence is there that the development in Abbotsford has been effective?

Sven looks like he's even lost some of the flair he had from last year. Irving was once highly touted. Nemiscz was on track but now is a longshot. Reinhart was supposedly doing well but then got benched. Horak started strong, now can't score. Howse and Ferland were hopefuls but both were exiled. Byron put up points for the Sabres AHL team and now is primarily a checker.

Which prospect has really improved in Abbotsford? Is all the improvement in the prospects focused on learning how to cook and iron their shirts?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1032
Dorkmaster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Results kind of speak for themselves. Brodie is the only prospect that has graduated and stuck and half of his development was under Playfair. No other prospect has really shown much from an offensive standpoint when they get to Abbotsford and now the team isn't even winning.

Yes the drafting hasn't been great but what evidence is there that the development in Abbotsford has been effective?

Sven looks like he's even lost some of the flair he had from last year. Irving was once highly touted. Nemiscz was on track but now is a longshot. Reinhart was supposedly doing well but then got benched. Horak started strong, now can't score. Howse and Ferland were hopefuls but both were exiled. Byron put up points for the Sabres AHL team and now is primarily a checker.

Which prospect has really improved in Abbotsford? Is all the improvement in the prospects focused on learning how to cook and iron their shirts?
How long has Reinhart been benched for? Huge overreaction there. Howse and Ferland had conditioning problems. How does them not being ready to play have anything to do with the coach. Nemisz had success under Ward, but suddenly because he's struggling this year Ward ruined him? Too early to talk about Sven, but when he was healthy on the Heat he was helping them win and put up a solid point production. Horak began the year on a ridiculous streak and now is struggling, all under the same coach. Somehow its the coaches fault that he's not producing when given good minutes?

Really the only point is Byron, but he's been hurt and when called up to the Flames, played about as expected.

Most of the players have had success and disappointments under Ward. The team's struggles can be attributed to many things. I haven't seen the team, but I would assume goaltending and a lack of puck moving defencemen are a huge issue. Scoring issues aren't helped by a lack of Sylvester and Kolanos being garbage.
Dorkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #1033
Northern Lites
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

I have to agree with this post. I was living in Abby for the 2010-2011 season. Almost everyone still playing with the Heat from that season has lost their offensive game. I think Nemo, Watt, Wahl and Patterson pretty much lost everything offensive since Ward took over, not to mention their confidence....sure hope they know how to do laundry because they aren't going to be able to afford a housekeeper to take care of it!! Howse was not managed properly and thankfully Ferland was able to go back to Junior...at least he will get his confidence back. Total bust for these young guys. Have to wonder how attractive the Flames organization is to young players. I say stop teaching life lessons to those guys, their parents have been in charge of that.....get them scoring!!!!
Northern Lites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #1034
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I've defended Ward in the past with building a winner. I just don't see the point of scratching Rienhart when you keep dressing other players who've played bad. Kolanos has been horrible this season and sees the ice a lot. I think if you are going to use scratching players as motivation you need to use it on the whole team. Especially when your players are having confidence issues leading to no offense.

He pulled Irving after 2 goals in tonight's game but doesn't pull Brust in his last two starts where he allowed 5. I just think you can't have favoritism when trying to win. And right now he's showing a bit of bias in his roster decisions.

As for the his goal is to get in to the NHL I hope that's not his focus. And even if it is, he's not going to do it by showing he can't win games. Early in the season he had players playing well and had skill. Horak, Baertschi, and Brodie were able to help the team win games. As a coach its his responsibility to make the rest of the players better and he hasn't done that. Besides Taylor there really hasn't been a player that's improving his game. Reinhart looked strong last season when he first joined but now is having no success, same with Nemisz.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #1035
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Highlights of the game.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #1036
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

judging by the highlights that goalie change had to be for momentum because the first was a screen the other Irving has zero opportunity to stop it. Even the goals on Taylor looked to be the same way, goaltenders being hung out to dry.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #1037
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkmaster View Post
How long has Reinhart been benched for? Huge overreaction there. Howse and Ferland had conditioning problems. How does them not being ready to play have anything to do with the coach. Nemisz had success under Ward, but suddenly because he's struggling this year Ward ruined him? Too early to talk about Sven, but when he was healthy on the Heat he was helping them win and put up a solid point production. Horak began the year on a ridiculous streak and now is struggling, all under the same coach. Somehow its the coaches fault that he's not producing when given good minutes?

Really the only point is Byron, but he's been hurt and when called up to the Flames, played about as expected.

Most of the players have had success and disappointments under Ward. The team's struggles can be attributed to many things. I haven't seen the team, but I would assume goaltending and a lack of puck moving defencemen are a huge issue. Scoring issues aren't helped by a lack of Sylvester and Kolanos being garbage.
Look it goes both ways, yes some of it is on the players, but some of it is also on the coaches.

I also forgot Bancks, a guy who also produced under Playfair, but now only checks with no offensive production whatsoever.

There's just too many cases of players not producing, it's all across the team, it's not just one or two guys, it's systemic.

And you still haven't named one prospect who has really improved in Abbotsford. Wait, I have one, Breen, but that was AFTER a terrible first year under Ward, where prior to that he had a great season under Playfair. Breen of course, is not expected to produce offensive numbers.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #1038
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
judging by the highlights that goalie change had to be for momentum because the first was a screen the other Irving has zero opportunity to stop it. Even the goals on Taylor looked to be the same way, goaltenders being hung out to dry.
Yea I saw it the same way. Only bad goal was the one off the end boards bouncing in off Taylor and that was just a lucky break for the Americans.

It will be interesting to see who starts Saturday with such a quick turn around. Game time is at 3pmEST. My guess they would have planned Taylor to start but with him coming in early against the Americans that will have changed. Do they play Taylor who has been the best goaltender, give Irving a chance to rebound or play Brust who has played poorly in recent games.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #1039
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruegsegger just scored to break the Heat's 133:29 minute goalless drought.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 03-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #1040
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blair Jones finally pots one! 2-1 Heat with half the game to go in Toronto.

Mike Testwuide also got his first point as a member of the Heat on Ruegsegger's goal.

EDIT - Now Aliu scores! Assist to Bancks. 3-1 Heat. Good for Aliu to score in front of a ton of family and friends.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 03-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Tags
2012 , 2013 , abbotsford , heat , prospects